How to set up my notebook as a Wi-Fi Hotspot!

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
ISP
BSNL-DSL
hi guys.....I have a dsl wired broadband connection. and i wanna turn my laptop as a wi-fi hotspot for other devices (samsung Galaxy s). so that they can access my lan connection and share internet.I have done quite a research on google and found there is connectify (free app) and virtual router (ms app) which can do it attomatically. i have no success so far. have tried a lot with them. my phone recognizes the ssis network i give but never get registered. (keeps obtaining ip address)secondly have manually done through command prompt. i fired up a virtual wi-fi router (atheros virtual wi-fi in my lappy) and then sarted it. my phone detects the wifi network i created through commands and gets registred at 65mbps signal connection but then gets disconnected.same a case with virtual router app.so guys hre i am with my problem. does anyone know how to sucessfully set up a wi-fi hotpot so that the lan or wired internet can be shared through other devices.i know it cant be done in mac. but mine is win7 64bit. (home premium).....

Buy a wifi router, you'll get a decent one for 1500.

Connectify drain the battery quickly. You can get a Belkin (or other ) WiFi router (which can be used with normal BSNL/ Airtel / other ADSL modem) for around Rs. 1,500.

If you are particular about using Connectify, use Revo Uninstaller and uninstall in completely. Then use this guide

Turn Your Windows 7 Laptop into a WiFi Hotspot with Connectify - How-To Geek

actually i know it can be very easily done through a hardware. but my post was more of a software centric. you can find many a links which boast of doing it through softwares or mannual tweaks. there is a whole journell about this @ msdn microsoft.

yesterday i tried some stuff n almost got it dere. my phone showed n connected to my created network. but den got disconnected, that means a virtual wi-fi connectin can be created that is capable of broadcasting wi-fi over to share the lan.

@ meetdilipyes have uninstalled connectify. thanks for the link. hope its helpful.

I have been using Connectify for quite a lot of time without any issues. Make sure you configure it correctly. And yes, the battery drains down at a quicker rate but not too much. For me, Connectify is the ideal software to use to use a laptop as a wi-fi hotspot.

I have been using Connectify for quite a lot of time without any issues. Make sure you configure it correctly. And yes, the battery drains down at a quicker rate but not too much. For me, Connectify is the ideal software to use to use a laptop as a wi-fi hotspot.

how have you configured that....mine isnt responding it just keep connecting to the ip addresses and then get disconnected.
here is what i have done.

hotspot name- connectify me
>password....
>internet=lan sharing
>wifi - wireless connection
wap2-psk password

start hotspot.....

thats it.

m i doing right.
mne is ver 3.0

----------

nope still not workin after reinstalllin same problem.

I am on v2.2

Wi-Fi Name: As you wish
Password: As you wish
Internet: MTNL (I use a USB Dongle and the netwok name is MTNL)
Wi-Fi: Wireless Network Connection
Mode: Access Point, WPA2-PSK

have installed v2.2 and still the same. have reinstalled ma wireless lan drivers v 2.2 shows a warning notification that "UPnP not running".my phone shows - obtainnig ip addresses but doeasnt gets registered on the network.how can i fix this?

Did you try without encryption ? You can enable UPnP from modem menu. Log in using 192.168.1.1 .

Mention modem - model and make. I am using BSNL WA3002 G4, for me it is underLHS menu > Advanced Set up > LANMust be similar for other modems too (with some other name)