galaxy S i9000 firmware update error

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
ISP
BSNL-DSL
I hav recently bought Galaxy s i9000 and m tryin to update its firware from v5 to v9through samsung kies software. Everytime i try to update it downloads the update file for a while and then gives an error like unable to download or smtimes the phone is.not connected.Iz there any other way to upgrade the device firmware?Pls suggest.

Are you trying to upgrade your android edition ? If so, that's normal with kies. Keep trying again. If all else fails, you might want to consider flashing it yourself. Do ask me, if you need any help with regards to flashing a new firmware.

Ya ur right. Its FROYO. hav tried 3 times but shows some.or the other error.Lemme try few.more times n hope it gets upgraded. 🙂

Hi everyone!
As all of ya must be knowing about that the Gingerbread 2.3.4 beta update for Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 leak from european country. I have researched on web and found that its a pretty simple to do that upgrade from downloading a upadte zip file. unzip and den proceeding with odin and then upgrading the firmware.
- (androidadvices)
Also it has also no harm of voilating the warranty. (as my phone is just half a month old).
Have been waiting for it officially to release it on kies but kies always gives me an error as mentioned and also india is the farthest to recieve the upgrades as upgrades are pending for most of the countries as of now.

i am novice to android and flashing & rooting of Android devices. After few researches i came to know that in this kind of update my phone will be flashed not rooted (that i dont wanna do). so guys here are my concerns regarding this:

1. Should i really go for this kind of flashing to upgrade. i mean is it 100% original beta gingerbread update 2.3.4 XXJVP or is it moded ver. of some other phones. (like Nokia 5300 can have moded os of nokia n8 as its os)

2. also is it completely safe n it wont brick my phone (provided all done carefully from my side 😉

3. this is a beta update of 2.3.4 so when the official final ver. comes...will i be able to update my phones as normal to the final ver. my flashing wont be an major issue for the rest of the updates that would appear for this phone.

4. thirdly i wont brick my phones warranty, rite guys? (sites say it wont coz its flashing, but wats ur say guys?)

5. has anyone done the flashing. i think one has done (x720) what are the aftereffects after upgrading. i mean what are the improvements, fixes and changes.

guys plz clear the air....

----------

if ya guys agree itz good to go. no probs so far....

so which ver of ODIN 3 to use
ve got two - v1.3 or v1.7??

cumon guys.......kya hua..... no replies, suggestions, advices uptill now!!is this sucha bad post or bad thing to ask?? should i make a seperate thread of this. was just saving it from being a duplicate thread as the thread heading is relevant (as in for me).!!cumon say something.....support plz...

Umm, first off flashing does void warranty, and if you want to regain warranty, you will have to re flash the stock samsung image. Rest I will post tomorrow.

You do need to root your phone because the rom manager (or whatever app used) does need su permissions.@OPTell me when you're ready to flash.

Thanks. i have already flashed. my sgs and upgraded to official gingerbread 2.3.3 ddjv9 (india). it was just of 2 steps. my phone is
on breeze. running much faster than ever.

Also i havent voilated its warranty coz have upgraded to indian firmware which was released via kies 2. and is official.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 ddjv9 INU (not rooted)

----------

And one morw thing brother. about u sayin about rooting. rooting is a completely diffrent thing
than flashing. rooting z much tricky. and to upgrade one absolutely doesn have to root.
newys threr can be many ways to flash. wt i know. may ur involves rooting.

There are two ways...#1: Going the official way, upgrade thru KIES. #2: Rooting it and flashing a custom ROM.#1 will have the warranty but still the fone will be slow (believe me)#2 Is dangerous, u can brick the phone. But once done its awesome and worth the risk. Phone will become blazing fast. I am presently on CyanogenMod which is really good. Previously was on Darky's ROMI did #1 once and realised it was waste of time. Learnt about flashing and went ahead with custom ROM and very happy now. Lots of support is provided in the internet for this.

There are two ways...

#1: Going the official way, upgrade thru KIES.

#2: Rooting it and flashing a custom ROM.

#1 will have the warranty but still the fone will be slow (believe me)
#2 Is dangerous, u can brick the phone. But once done its awesome and worth the risk. Phone will become blazing fast. I am presently on CyanogenMod which is really good. Previously was on Darky's ROM

I did #1 once and realised it was waste of time. Learnt about flashing and went ahead with custom ROM and very happy now. Lots of support is provided in the internet for this.

can u plz temme that what is CynogenMOD. it is custom rom. and one has to root his phone for doing so. am i right dude???

so wt kinda custom os is this. is itnot gingerbread 2.3.4 or something.....?/
explain me....

----------

And one more queation like to ask....

can one flash to another firmware after being on a another firmware (which is flashed from previous firmware as a upgrade)

ex. i have flashed my phone and upgraded to gingerbread 2.3.3 ddjv9 (india official) so if i want to now flash to a another firmware say gingerbread 2.3.4 XXJVR (european) so can i flash easily. and when i want to regain the warranty to can i again flash it to indian firmware.
i think we can but m confused.

let me know....

It is custom ROM, and has Gingerbread 2.3.4.

The thing is that all the features are tweaked for optimum performance. Great UI, faster response time and much more.

When u use Ginger bread upgraded from KIES, the Samsung TouchWiz UI will be on top of Gingerbread which makes it slow.

Further so many new options to configure ur phone are provided, u need to check it once to understand it. Do google it and watch it how the UI looks on Youtube videos.

----------

You can flash any firmware. Do take the backup of original firmware or get it from internet.

U can flash to the original firmware to claim any warranty.

thanks moindear for the info. SO basically ur saying that....cynogenMOD is pure andriod 2.3.4 and doesn not have samsung layer on it.? and that is much better then i guess?? is it so..??and btw how do i take the backup of my firmware i do have a gingerbread 2.3.3 ddjv9 firmware file on my PC. would that be ok to regain the warranty??let me know....

CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread

Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

----------

Custom ROMs are pure Android versions with own customizations (tweaks).

When I tried Darkys ROM, U can prepare ur own ROM by selecting the individual firmware (It was part of Darkys Kitchen). Seems that the site is dead as of now. Lemme search for u.

Generally popular ROMs have the best firmware and features so you can directly go for them.

----------

Maybe if you want specific firmwares, u can flash it through ODIN like this...

XXJVR - Download and Install Guide for Latest Galaxy S i9000 Firmware. | The Android Soul

thanks yar for the links. so as if now these roms have better speeds and what about stability. are they really stable.?? i mean do they act crazy at times or wen on full load?so if i want to do go to cynogenmod. i will have to root my phone or just flash it??neways i havent reaserched custom rom for my phone much so m eager. lemme just go through google and see if i can proceed with it. vl let you know...for the help.thanks in advance!!