Google Public DNS-over-TLS (dns.google)

• Thread starter Thread starter m_k
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 12,273

m_k

ISP
BSNL
Hi friends for some time I am considering to use googledns mainly because of the reviews that it provides faster web experience. But before actually using it I want some reviews from you people who have actually used googledns or something other like opendns or nortondns or any other free dns service apart from the default bsnl one. Are they really good? I just want a fast browsing experience I don't need web content filtering but if it has malware site blocking feature then it will be an added bonus. I am from State Assam ( if it really matters) and using bsnl broadband plan with 2mbps speed. PS: is malware blocking feature is really important? I mean all antiviruses have some kind of feature to block malicious domain, atleast avast do this through network shield which I use. I am waiting for valuable opinion from the forum member and thanks in advancewithregardsm_k

For each connection the suitable DNS can be different.
download namebench application and find , which is best for you.
namebench - Download

Apart from Anti Virus application , use of another Anti Malware application
is suggested. Check in FileHippo.com - Download Free Software
UseTry different browser/s Google Chrome/Firefox/Opera.
Also download Ccleaner to speed up the computer. and save disk space.
Delete all old System Restore Points from menu item in same application.
( retain three or four )
Do a speedtest and post the link here. Test two or three times.
My Broadband Speed - Broadband Speed Tester
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Feedback.

Try Open DNS in that case. Using it since a long time. It blocks certain malware sites (normally out of bounds for antivirus apps). Page loading is also good. You can also try Namebench but you can choose Open DNS with your eyes closed.

Thanks guys for the relpies and those links. Run the namebench and also DNSbench from gibson. Namebench showed google dns 2 can be 162% faster than my current dns but thats impossible because i am using google dns right now. But as primary dns i am using 8.8.8.8 while namebench says i should use 8.8.4.4 as primary. Can i use both dns of google and bsnl? I mean 8.8.4.4 as primary and 218.248.255.161 as secondary. Will this setup work? DNSbench from gibson showed different results. It says 61.1.96.69 (NIB) is fastest while 218.248.255.161 is second fastest from NIB.

So what i should do? i am uploading the various result please suggest....

Capture.JPG
namebanch.JPG
speed.JPG

PS: please suggest how to attach file in this forum i seem unable to do so

Thanks

----------

@ Essbebe

My security and maintainance of the system is fine i guess. i use avast free + MBAM + Hitman pro + online armor + sandboxie + Firefox with noscript, adblock plus, keyscrambler etc + ccleaner + puran degrag + secunia psi.

Thanks

My security and maintainance of the system is fine i guess. i use avast free + MBAM + Hitman pro + online armor + sandboxie + Firefox with noscript, adblock plus, keyscrambler etc + ccleaner + puran degrag + secunia psi.

:1huh (2): O.M.G !

:1huh (2): O.M.G !

Want to elaborate a bit.

Sorry but y all these softs?? Just get a good internet security and some add-on for browser, Ccleaner is also good.What u do on internet? lol

Well this set up is not that complicated and petty light on resourse. No AV can give 100% protection they all fail sometime or another. So we need a layered protection. Only avast is realtime protection and that is one of the lightest av available today. MBAM is ondemand so doesnot take resourse and has great detection rate and very effective i do periodic quick scan with it once in a whlile. Hitman is a standalone program and just for a back up. Windows firewall is weak and has no outbound protection (actually it is disabled by default and it is not easy to configure) so i need a strong and easily configurable firewall to monitor outbound connection. Sandboxing the browser while surfing on internet is actually secure because if the browser get infected through some malicious code my pc is still protected. Secunia psi ensures that all my application and OS is up to date, i don't need to manually serch for every update and it is very important to keep OS and app updated. And ya i also use winpatrol, a nice little program which warns and block any system modification which malware always tries to do. AS for what i do in internet. Simply everything from shoping to online banking and i don't beleve in secure browsing which says always stick to safe website because there is actually no safe site in internet. Reputed websites also get hacked and untill the authority solved the problem and you go to that website you will get infected. Well going offtopic here anyway have any suggestion for dns?Regards

Hi friends right now i am using google dns. Page loading seems a bit faster (may be imagining it) one last question are there any negative effect not using the dns from ISP?

youtube and some other services might run slow.

OK just tried to watch some youtube video they all played without buffering so i guess so real problem. One question why you think so? have you experianced this problem?

that is not a problem. that is how internet works basically. if bsnl has local caching turned on for services like youtube, you are sent to these local servers if you are using their nameservers. now that you are on google dns, you might not be sent to local servers and instead you would access the US based servers. and that could result in degraded performance. think of it that ways. bsnl might have a deal with youtube... they might be caching their popular videos here in india. so if you are using bsnl dns servers, you might get some videos from locally hosted servers which might result in better performance. this is not a definite thing. just something that does not work well with generic dns servers. google dns (and others) are worth it for reliability. so you should technically have no problems.

Thanks operamaniac for the explanation i was not aware of the fact. Atleast i now know that when i face some problem with youtube or some other website i will revert back to ISP dns straight away instead of scratching my head what went wrong. Thanks for the usefull info

Nothing I know. Not at least with BSNL. I am using 3 rd party DNS since almost 2 years now. Never faced any issue because of not using BSNL DNS.