• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,908

moindear

Internet addict!
ISP
Airtel, ACT
My external Hard disk (Western Digital 1 TB) started giving me cycling redundancy issue so I decided to format the hard disk.The full format took nearly 2 hours (shut out once due to power cut) but it says it cant format...Any solution?

computer restarted during the disk formatting process? that could have messed up the drive. some bios offer formatting option which might work for you. but i think that the disk might be gone for good.

You mean Cyclic Redundancy Check? I have seen that issue with DVDs when it's scratched.

You should have performed a CHKDSK instead of formatting the entire disk 😕

Computer restart shud not cause any problem for HDD because OS partition is not expected to have damaged.Formatting is nothing but rearranging bytes and will never cause hardware level of corruption.If disk is gone its not due to formatting but by coincidence.

NOPE... it wud not ruin it at hardware level. You can take to other machine and reformat it anytime.

@OP The full format took 2 hours, dude? Do a Quick Format 😉And post the error it's giving, no one can guess what's wrong with it.

Actually its an External hard disk, so my guess nothing should have happened to it.

Went for full format since I was getting the cycling redundancy issues on many folders Once it failed, its not accepting quick format.

Dunno why but its taking an awful lot time for a full format, maybe cos its 1 TB

----------

Trying out the full format again, its 81% as of now.

Are there any external tools for this?

This is an external HDD so no booting issues 🙂