• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 2,621

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi, My desktop has 3 slots for DDR 2 type of RAM, but is ok if I install 3 RAM sticks of different size, speed and make? Is it possible to have a 1 GB RAM in the 1st slot, 2 GB in the 2nd and 3 GB in the 3rd? Thanks

no don't install diff. ram speeds might screw up...

installing different types of RAM is a bad idea. capacities should not hurt much. it is usually best to have the same brand and model RAM though.

you dont get 3GB RAM. its always in powers of 2. Also, DDR2 is dual channel so best to install in 2 slots. Get 2 * 4GB RAM and that would give you the best performance.Also remember that dual channel slots are usually alternate ones, so you should install in slot 1 and 3. check your motherboard manual though.

i (think) have four slots. and 2x2GB RAM. should i get 4x2GB or sell my existing units and get 2x4GB RAM units?

Id say 2*4GB. Gives you more head room for later upgrades and puts lesser strain on the chipset on the motherboard which will have to get data from lesser units.This is for DDR2. DDR3 is tri channel so 2*2*2GB will be good.

oh ok. so if i have ddr3 i would get one more chip. if not, i would get 2 more 😀

i do think i have ddr3. this desktop was updated last year with a pretty decent motherboard.

ok i have:

Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM)

i have survived well with 4GB RAM, i guess i can get a minor upgrade now and see if I would be able to saturate 6GB RAM!

----------

errm. 4*2GB meant 4 units of 2GB RAM or 2 units of 4GB RAM? 😕

How much is the average ram usage these days ? @admin, do you saturate your 4GB ram anytime ? I remember long time back during the 128MB ram days, the harddisk used to kick in after the ram getting filled.

so for DDR3, i can get 2+2+2 for the time being if i do not get a good deal for my 2+2 ram chips right?

if i do get a decent deal, i should get 4+4 instead. would ask my hardware vendor.

----------

How much is the average ram usage these days ? @admin, do you saturate your 4GB ram anytime ? I remember long time back during the 128MB ram days, the harddisk used to kick in after the ram getting filled.

ah well. i have been doing fine with 4GB. but sometimes i do end up with a crawling system because of too many files and browser tabs open at the same time.

i started off with a computer with 16MB RAM. and for around 2 months i was stuck with 8MB RAM on my machine because one of the two chips went bad.

had to beg to get another 8MB chip because using Windows 95 with 8MB RAM was well not very nice 🙂

Yes, but certain motherboards dont support triple channel RAM (it would still work but not in triple channel) so ensure that your motherboard does.in any case the performance boost would be ~ 4-7%. not a very big deal.Also with companies like Corsair, GSkill, Patriot etc. you usually get a good deal on packs (2*4GB,2*2*2GB,4*4*4Gb etc.)

Damn. I have 2 x 2GB with two slots remaining, upgrade due next month, was thinking of two slots of 2 * 4 GB in addition to this. Wud that be fine?2 x 2GB + 2 x 4GB?

oh ok.So I shud do away with existing 4 GB RAM 🙁I wud better not upgrade cos hardly I wud get any price for that...Shud stop using VMWare, it eats up all the RAM