What are the chances of MTNL 3G with 21.6 mbps speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shah Jahan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 5,211
It is because most (not all) still don't understand why would anybody need so much speed. For most even 1 Mbps is 'pretty awesome' speed! And since these companies already have invested a lot in this old technology, they cannot afford to change everything. They will squeeze every last drop and as long as they have clients and are making moolah they would not care to change.

Except that most of this "old" technology could still go to 6 or 20mbit/s without the need to change anything except the software configuration at the DSLAM.

The second link took a proxy to work. With Reliance this wasn't a problem but with triband I have to use proxy pretty often. Anyways, I checked all that and wasn't impressed. I can be a little hard to please!

Yeah... the press releases made it sound like they are offering 100mbit/s but they're offering only 12 🙁 I know they've been preparing to file for an IPO for about a year now, so they probably had to play catchup since even I hadn't really seen much from them since early 2010 or so.

I hope WITHOUT a touch of sarcasm! My downloads usually range between 75-150 GB a month, although my uploads can shoot several times higher than that at times. I wonder how do you find this a good thing. Usually service providers hate clients like me! Or maybe I didn't get the sarcasm due to what you put in between the brackets!

No sarcasm whatsoever - we've pretty much built our service around clients with usage profiles like yours - that's why we have plans to cater for the heavier users at very reasonable prices (relatively speaking, of course - the original aim was to get plan prices and speeds to the same levels as Finland - where I lived before I moved to India... we're not quite there yet, but getting very close).

Yeah... the press releases made it sound like they are offering 100mbit/s but they're offering only 12 🙁 I know they've been preparing to file for an IPO for about a year now, so they probably had to play catchup since even I hadn't really seen much from them since early 2010 or so.

who is preparing to file an IPO? reliance?

who is preparing to file an IPO? reliance?

Who mentioned Reliance? Last I checked, both Reliances are already traded, aren't they?

You Telecom is preparing for the IPO.

I need to throw some light on 3G............ok seeing your requirements i would never refer u wireless plans...75-150GB on 3G can choke the hell out of network. And 1.5times of upload, don't even expect 15% of that amount in wireless.:smiley-cool06:

To put in more simpler manner as a layman, a 3.6 mbps BTS/tower can maximum disburse 1-1.2GB per hour.(considering 100% efficiency-highly unlikely;considering considering no voice calls are made to/from the BTS):tongue1:. Now you can get all the 1GB-1.2GB per hour if you are the only customer in the BTS region(impossible). Hence if i consider your usage to avg.around 100GB pm, you have to be allocated approx. 100 hours from the BTS. There are just 720 hours in a month hence the BTS can accommodate max. 7-8-9 customers like 'you' and no one else:meeting:. If more come to ur BTS speed drops in that proportion.

In a city like Mumbai where crores live even with 1000BTS do you expect such a scenario...:bomb:
It comes to around 2.5-5 GB/day. Which, even if I get 2.5mbps speeds, it shouldn't take long to complete the download. And if by downloading a mere 3GB/day (average) is choking their towers, then boy I pity them! And I can throttle accordingly, like stop the downloads or decrease the speed of DLs at peak times and then resuming when I'm getting good speeds. I mean if I'm getting good speeds it should take ~2-3 hours to download and I can pause when I'm not getting speeds. However, the uploads will continue. I'm doing this already! Since I have a plan where at nights I get more speeds, hence during day I throttle the speeds down of torrents and don't download off file-hosts so that it doesn't cripple my browsing and at nights when speeds improve I unleash it all!

Except that most of this "old" technology could still go to 6 or 20mbit/s without the need to change anything except the software configuration at the DSLAM.
So they (as of now) see no reason to change.

No sarcasm whatsoever - we've pretty much built our service around clients with usage profiles like yours - that's why we have plans to cater for the heavier users at very reasonable prices (relatively speaking, of course - the original aim was to get plan prices and speeds to the same levels as Finland - where I lived before I moved to India... we're not quite there yet, but getting very close).
Nice.

Who mentioned Reliance? Last I checked, both Reliances are already traded, aren't they?

You Telecom is preparing for the IPO.
Yes, they are. It is listed under the ticker RCOM and as a side note, its value has dropped to less than half in the last 9 months. And if You Telecom is able to build a hype and get into the news before its IPO, then I might buy them and sell the next or next to next day!

It comes to around 2.5-5 GB/day. Which, even if I get 2.5mbps speeds, it shouldn't take long to complete the download. And if by downloading a mere 3GB/day (average) is choking their towers, then boy I pity them!

3GB per day is HUGE usage for 3G - it simply wasn't designed for this kind of volume.

Cell towers (irrespective of what speed) cost significant sums of cash and as such are meant to serve large amounts of customers (in the developed world I've seen averages of 1,200 customers per tower) and over relatively large radiuses (kilometers)... it's only due to the population density in India (and in many cases, radio blackspots caused by buildings) that have caused all the networks to put in so many cell towers.

If only they handed over more smoothly like they're supposed to, then my damn connections wouldn't get interrupted when I'm on the move.

So they (as of now) see no reason to change.

They don't really need to as yet, but IMO they could certainly do well for themselves to unleash what they do have properly instead of continuing this charade of sub-megabit "broadband".

MTNL Delhi 3G also advertise 3.6mbps and I get above 2.5mbps and in night constantly 3.3mbps. So devide by 3 logic works only with private operator who always try to fool the users.My brother has reliance 28mbps connection and he never get above 5mbps !!I really feel MTNL hai to sahi hai..fair advertisement..fair pricing.

MTNL Delhi 3G also advertise 3.6mbps and I get above 2.5mbps and in night constantly 3.3mbps. So devide by 3 logic works only with private operator who always try to fool the users.

No, it's a rule of thumb for any operator anywhere in the world. What you're probably finding is the result of being very close to the cell site.

No, it's a rule of thumb for any operator anywhere in the world. What you're probably finding is the result of being very close to the cell site.

Yes may be true...because MTNL network in Dwarka area of Delhi is awesome...I get all the pillers in signal.

Anyway...launch and cover delhi with Hayai and every one will move there..not sure if this name "Hayai" is taken from Japanese whcih means extremly fast..(ps - I know Japanese Language).

Yes may be true...because MTNL network in Dwarka area of Delhi is awesome...I get all the pillers in signal.

That's good but I think there are probably some other factors at work.

MTNL (and BSNL) has had an awesome advantage over the private players in being allowed to start it's 3G network well before the others but sadly it's been limited in it's success (whereas the two government players have relatively high penetration in other markets they're involved in).

It'll be interesting to see if they upgrade their 3G network now that they've announced their intentions for LTE - I would suspect that they'll move straight to LTE equipment with 3G backwards compatability.

Anyway...launch and cover delhi with Hayai and every one will move there..

We're not really competing with MTNL (not really even in Broadband segment, but much less in the mobile segment) - there will probably be only a limited migration from MTNL to us.

not sure if this name "Hayai" is taken from Japanese whcih means extremly fast..(ps - I know Japanese Language).

It is - kind of sums up the company's modus operandi, really. Japanese is my second language (after English and before some others). But Hayai has it's own section so let's not hijack this thread 🙂