New GSM phone for less than 5000

• Thread starter Thread starter chakraps
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,656
A friend is using Star II & the experience has been decent 😕 . Any reason to avoid Samsung.

----------

And Nokia - Well I have had 2 different friends buy the new Nokia phones in that range, with big flaws. One of them was a Nokia Fanboy - now he swears he wont buy a Nokia in his lifetime

Upvote 0
The Duos seems to be a newer version (Dual Sim), he has the non-Dual sim version. Not sure about the Dual Sim versionAnd for the record, the Nokia fanboy's dejection was the Nokia X2

Upvote 0
The Samsung Star II is pretty attractive for the price. I'll try check it out in a B&M store. Thanks mhsabir. I wonder what was your friend's gripe with Nokia X2 that has made him go against Nokia in the future.Among Nokia, I like C2-03 (thanks to operamaniac). I also read some nice reviews about X2-01 (thanks popcorn) but the warning from 'mhsabir' has raised a red flag.Anyways I will try to check out all 3 models in a store. Do post here if you've heard of any major issues with Star II or C2-03. Thanks.

Upvote 0
The screen hangs with grey color background & no text. He has tried to get it fixed, but is on the verge of throwing it in the dustbin & get a local branded cellphone like Micromax. Another had one of the newer XpressMusic versions, but feels quality of the product has gone bad & nothing like the older ones, the sound quality of phones & music is bad he says.

Upvote 0
I know a couple of people who have this phone. But unfortunately, both use it as just another phone and are happy with the eye candy feeling it gives - but have no clue on giving a proper review. It stretches your budget to 6-6.5, but should be a decent buy in any case.

----------

Also another phone I saw on ndtv - Sharp Airtyme Flaunt - Looks something different - Not recommending it - But a unique design - No idea how it is.

----------

Adding one more to the mix (if you are willing to consider buying it at Letsbuy) . Have a look at Sony Ericsson Txt Pro CK15i , with QWERTY keyboard - @6479 with RCOMLB1 coupon code.

This too I would suggest checking out the reviews & stuff before going for it

Upvote 0
I just watched the ndtv review of Flaunt. As you said, looks different but has to be checked out physically at a store. The CK15i also looks good except am a little concerned about overall weight of the phone. Would you know of any good stores in Chennai where I might check out all the phones under one roof?

Upvote 0
about sharp. i think they are the largest mobile phone seller in the japanese market. 🙂

----------

man this looks more of an advertisement than a review.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8FUbePQPsX8

Upvote 0
In Chennai, I feel univercell stocks the more recent & more number of models. But would not buy from there either, cos they are a bit more costly than the other places. But I would suggest that you read/watch the reviews & go there & select (based on look & feel) & then probably buy from one of the other stores or maybe online like Flipkart or Letsbuy (even univercell itself sells online at a cheaper rate than their store)

Upvote 0