West Bengal to be renamed Bangla?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
From last in the order to top of league - Times Of India

----------

The first attempt to change West Bengal's name was made in 1974, but it got nowhere. Mamata Banerjee might succeed where SS Ray and Jyoti Basu failed, says Saibal Sen.

The first recorded attempt was by the Jyoti Basu-led Left front government in 1999. Supported by the Opposition — a rarity considering Bengal's deeply fractious politics — the assembly passed a resolution to rename Calcutta as Kolkata and West Bengal as 'Bangla'.

But while Calcutta became Kolkata, West Bengal never got a name change for reasons that are still not clear.

IndianMascot

Addicts
Regulars
Jun 17, 2011
I don't think its a TOI Initiative. I head about this 10-15 days back and it has been initiated by Mamta Banarjee. According to her, wht it should be called West Bengal instead of Bengal and then later Bengal word changed to Bangla .

LaysyDesi

Regular
Regulars
Feb 27, 2011
I don't think its a TOI Initiative. I head about this 10-15 days back and it has been initiated by Mamta Banarjee. According to her, wht it should be called West Bengal instead of Bengal and then later Bengal word changed to Bangla .

Oh no, the name changing thing has been pending since long... (TOI is not that noble :p )

I meant to say, 'Only Bengal' campaign..

----------

Breaking News:
West Bengal to be renamed Pacshimbanga

Really? I couldn't get anything on net... any online sources...

devx101

Senior
Regulars
Dec 29, 2010
"Paschimbanga" is again west bengal in bengali language......The initiative by TOI to remove west did not yield results.

----------

This has been a TOI intiative...
Bengalis cheer 'Only Bengal' with TOI

How do the Bengalis here respond to the proposed change???

I should ask how do u all feel, ins't "paschimbanga" heavy for most of u.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Regulars
Apr 15, 2009
Just like Madras was renamed Tamilnadu (years back), people will get used to the new name. Not hard as calling Bombay as Mumbai. :)