airtel throttling ftp on port 21

MonsterBallsofDoom

Crotch Shot Expert
ISP
airtel
airtel is now throttling even FTP . i tried downloading fedora via ftp , i'm only getting 2mbps max on a 4mbps connection . same thing is happening with my seedbox . the funny thing is p2p is not throttled on my connection . but i don't use p2p as i have to upload data and with airtel's upload speed , this will take ages and bandwidth. anyone else facing same problem or just me as i downloaded a lot of data last month on ftp .

airtel won't be throttling port 21 it is widely used as a ftp protocol , the issue you are facing is peering from your d.c to asia, am guessing it is is ovh , their peering to asia, india is bad, infact horrible , that is why they don't sell in asia and only to limited countries in e.u. and as port 21 is used widely it is always choked so change port to higher then 45000 and use SSL secured ftp , you can make those changes if you have ssh on your seedbox slot. and also it depends a lot on which ftp server is on box and which client you use. it is better to use multi threaded ftp clients like cute ftp and vsftpd on ftp server on box.edit > as for d/l ing the linux distro same thing ftp speeds are not guaranteed it depends on peering from ftp to your local isp and the number of connections the remote server allows, mostly ftp speeds are bad , that is why linux distro are on bt too , it is better to get them from there.

all cleared now ...... they had some problem from their side . after calling them problem was solved in 10 mins . they even called me after my problem was solved . hopefully this doesn't happen again after i dl loads of data from my seedbox .