Best match for Huawei MT880

• Thread starter Thread starter aninda_d
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,806

aninda_d

ISP
BSNL Dataone
I am planning to use a wi-fi router with my Basic broadband modem (Type-1), Huawei MT880. Which router would be the perfect match? I can see a lot of suggestions in similar threads. I would like to get some comments from experienced users. I plan to use my laptop in a 30-40 mt radius.

I plan to use my laptop in a 30-40 mt radius.

Check TP-Link models. with WDS mode
Example TP-link WR841ND wireless routers
( if needed two can be used in wifi mode to extend range )
or wifi routers with multiple antennas/detachable antenna.
So that additional hi-gain antenna can be connected.
TEST:
If you have a Cordless Phone ( preferably 2.4 GHz model)
try to PAGE Base from Handset. for the radius of activity.
( height also matters)

Finally got D-Link DIR-500 wireless router. Easy to setup. No issues with Type-1 modem connection. However I find a strange thing happening these days. I am not sure whether it is related to the router or not. Let me describe the problem. These days whenever I use my credit card for payments online the process gets stuck up when 3D secure pin entry page is to be displayed. Browser throws a time out error. This is happening with both Master and Visa cards. I tried connecting my laptop directly to the modem using a lan but the same thing happened. Secure sites like those of banks are working fine. Can anyone please help.

I tried connecting my laptop directly to the modem using a lan
but the same thing happened
Browser used ? IE8 Firefox Chrome ?
(a)try with IE8 or IE9. (b)Disable Firewall. (c)Update JAVA.
Most secure Indian websites work only with IE properly.

2. Any Update on "RESEARCH" done ???!!!!
confirm effective area of wifi usage with DIR500.
I plan to use my laptop in a 30-40 mt radius.

I use Chrome. Think I will try with IE8. Will also update Java.Research revealed D-Link DIR-615 as a good option. Could not get it in my area so I settled for DIR-500. Working radius is abt 40 mts. Boot time about 15 secs. Works well for p2p apps like Azureus and Utorrent. Cost me 1800. Could be lesser in big cities. All in all a middle of the road stable option.

Finally after much tinkering I could get the problem of certain sites not opening solved.It seems the MTU value in PPPoE settings should be 1454 and not the bsnl default 1492. Once I changed this in router all pages started popping up like corn. I would like to know in what way does the packet size affect particular sites. After all I was able to open most sites with the old value! A detailed evaluation or a link to a site having the info I am looking for would be much appreciated.