512kbps unlimeted over?

• Thread starter Thread starter ashish318
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5,245
i would then recommend going in for the 128K line. Wouldn't get such low speeds on 128K 😉

it will show you 256K dear! Thats because the speed test is between the last mile i.e. airtel's servers and your connection! It will vary from site to site. For example, you may get sucky speeds with some obscure Russian website while you may get blazing speeds with Microsoft 😉

hmm... its showing 96kbps on my sify...which i am supposed to get...but not getting

Thanks for ur reply guys......contemplating whether to send the Airtel blokes an email.....It has been a month and a half since I got the connection, it's through LAN, and I don’t have to dial up ( LAN window with two comps. opens.. showing 100 Mbps). They have given me a modem: D-Link - ADSL router (no beetel or any yozan Chinese stuff) - silver and blue colour, which he said is the latest they provide. Connected to my comp via Ethernet cable. i remember the next day when one of their engineers came down to check after they had installed my connection and i told him about my slow speed, he said the same thing... it all depends on the no. of users online at the time (i guess they split the same connection with others) and the type of website one is downloading from. i have done the speed test and its has never gone above 246 kbps and is generally around 200 k or so, and also keeps drops below that . As i mentioned earlier i tried contacting their customer care and have already mentioned their response in my earlier post, and since u guys have told me to contact the technical staff ....as i have said here that i complained to the engineer when he had come down to my house and he said the same thing....they do the bandwidth test from the link I have given, and even if my connection shows 200 kbps....their response would be that the avg is 180-200k for a 256k connection therefore nothing is wrong(since it is advertised as "upto" 256k).....should i then even bother about contacting anyone? as i get around 15-20k... at best have got 25 k downloading. The reason i posted this was because people were mentioning 30k-32k downloading speed on their 256k connection. And I have never exceeded 25 k. so people who get 30k + if you could tell me what to download from and where...to test my speed... and i can post the result. sorry for the long post, your replies would be of great help. No 512k upgradation done for me in Bangalore yet ... as of today. Have even called airtel customer reps (dumb asses) and was told that she was not aware of any such upgradation scheme, if they do any such they would notify their customers through post.

This is so stupid. Airtel's starting to look worse by the day! 15-20KBps isn't something you should settle for. Your connection is rated as 32KBps. Even if its an upto connection, one should expect about 80-85% the speed which means 200-220Kbps (25-28KBps). It's not something outrageous that you are asking for! If you're getting 15-20KBps then its unacceptable! 15KBps is like having a 128Kbps(16KBps) line!! Talk to the head of their CC. Check your settings. Try to tweak them. Maybe the phone line is at fault! May be the splitter isn't working correctly! Check out the SNR ratio.

Looks like party is over. I did that test, and I got this...Your current bandwidth reading is:233.80kbpsRetestwhich means you can download at 29.23 KB/sec. from our Network to your last mile provision.