Porting from MTNL Trump to !dea - comments?

• Thread starter Thread starter Daddycool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5,218

Daddycool

Regular
ISP
MTNL
As I will be relocating to Pune tomorrow, I am considering porting my mobile number to Idea.The main reason for choosing Idea is because they allow roaming between Mumbai and MH-Goa circles at the home circle rate.Any advice, comments, alternatives are welcome.

you could be assured of n/w coverage in mumbai as well as in mh&goa circle,also the fact that you stated they allow roaming with home tariffs applicable is good,but even trump has same home tariffs applicable while roaming in mh&goa circle..

^ I find the trump tariff very complex. I am on the Trump 1ps/sec plan. When I am in Pune, I find some calls are charged at 1ps/sec, some at Rs 1 per min and still others at Rs 1.50 a minute.

Don't ever go for idea... I am a victim and soon going to airtel

The very first day I was in Pune, I walked into a My Idea shop and asked if I could port a MTNL number to Idea in Pune. I was told, I could port from MTNL Mumbai to Idea Mumbai by submitting my request to them in Pune. I did so with all required docs and the 8 digit code.No progress for the whole week as they had said it would take 7 days. During that period I also was in Mumbai for 4 days.When I called customer care to follow up, I was told to visit the shop. When I went there, one staff member called up someone on the phone and then told me since your porting is for Mumbai, it must be submitted there. How come you are submitting it here in Pune?I fired them for saying that since they themselves had told me it was possible a week previously. I told them they had made me waste so much time because I had been to Mumbai in between and could have submitted there.Finally I spoke to the head honcho over there who very politely admitted his mistake and returned my porting fee. Now I have to wait for my next visit to Mumbai. Meanwhile because the head honcho was so decent, I took a prepaid connection in Pune to use till such time I complete the porting.

Eww!!! Idea charged you with Porting Fees. Its free in Reliance

Eww!!! Idea charged you with Porting Fees. Its free in Reliance
One of my colleagues here has Reliance and gets very poor network at her home. On the other hand Idea has great network everywhere I have tried.
Regarding the cost, the porting cost is insignificant anyway. I will more than make up for it because of my saving in outgoing roaming calls.

In Maharashtra Idea Rocks. So i won't question in that. In Maharashtra Idea operates @ 900 Mhz. So definately Coverage would be superb.

Update: I completed my porting from Trump to Idea about a month ago. Idea network is pretty good. Their CC is certainly not superior to MTNL in any way. If anything, my experience so far is that they are worse. I am OK with that if I do not need to contact them too often.Finally the worst thing about Idea is their metering of calls. I am on prepaid, per second plan. I always find that each call duration they meter is higher than what my handset tells me. Never had this issue with MTNL and Docomo with the same handset. Metering was off by +/- 1 second max with them. With Idea it is always several seconds more. I know it is insignificant for one customer but imagine milking millions for a few minutes per person each day. A great way of maximizing profit.Any idea how to go about complaining?

For me MTNL calculation was +/- 1 second too.But Vodafone charges atleast 2 paise more than what phone shows. Sometimes even 3 paise.If MTNL can show exact figure that means its not technical limitation. But its clear that idea and vodafone charge higher on purpose.

For me MTNL calculation was +/- 1 second too.

But Vodafone charges atleast 2 paise more than what phone shows. Sometimes even 3 paise.

If MTNL can show exact figure that means its not technical limitation. But its clear that idea and vodafone charge higher on purpose.
One friend suggested that perhaps they start their counter when they receive the dial even before their connection is made. I am not sure that is right. If that was the case the extra duration would have been independent of call duration. I think the amount of extra seconds is proportional to the call duration. If that is so then their counter is deliberately set too fast. I am still observing what happens before I act.

Guys I need some information.1. As I mentioned, Idea has been overcharging on every call. Not just 1 or 2 seconds, once it was 30 seconds extra for a 13 minute call.2. Their website mentions nothing about any international roaming rental. Just the per minute charge. But they deducted Rs 149/- for that.3. The SMS charges are supposed to be Rs 1/- for local and 1.50 for national but I am often charged 1.50 for local as well.4. I have issues contacting the CC numbers fof one circle from a phone of another circle.5. I have problems getting any replies by email from their CC and the same problems with the nodal officer.Could someone please tell me how I can escalate this?Is there a TRAI email ID I can write to?

1. As I mentioned, Idea has been overcharging on every call. Not just 1 or 2 seconds, once it was 30 seconds extra for a 13 minute call.
Even this thing happened to me in the starting for Few calls. when i spoke for 6 sec they charged me 0.70p. After removing sim and again inserting in to the phone solved the problem for me.
3. The SMS charges are supposed to be Rs 1/- for local and 1.50 for national but I am often charged 1.50 for local as well.
Lodge an complaint at 198, they will escalate it.