• Thread starter Thread starter boygr8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,837

boygr8

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Broadband
Recently I reformatted my HDD and installed WinXp prof. All is well bu the problem is that whenever there is a bad shutdown , the scandisk/chkdsk does not start automatically at next bootup. Can anybody plz guide how do I enable that?

that does not happen for ntfs partitions.

Oh really.......then wont my HDD get corrupted over a period of time after several such bad shutdowns.....like it used to in FAT32.

maybe there is a reason why microsoft does not require you to run scandisk on your disk everytime you suffer a bad restart or shutdown?ntfs is an advancement over fat32. and it has a good reputation for stability and safety.

^ AFAIK , scandisk is not a part of windows XP .instead XP has advanced check Disk ....when rebooting after a bad shut down , it would be best to manually run check disk (my computer --> Disk --> properties --> tools --> check disk) to correct the problems, if any .On other community forums , I have read that aperson lost huge data after a bad shutdown onwindows XP ...

But why did MS disable auto Chkdsk on XP after a bad shut down on an NTFS partition.

when rebooting after a bad shut down , it would be best to manually run check disk (my computer --> Disk --> properties --> tools --> check disk) to correct the problems, if any .[/b]

Do i need to do this after every bad shut down

^ it is not a must to run check disk after each & every
bad shutdown . if you remember that many programs were
running at the time of bad shutdown , then it is better to check
the disk after the reboot . or make it a habit to check the disks
once in a week / 10 days / fortnight .

But why did MS disable auto Chkdsk on XP after a bad shut down on an NTFS partition.[/b]

maybe ntfs inherently does not require a scandisk?