OHH !

• Thread starter Thread starter NeO
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3,858
Originally posted by Sushubh@Feb 13 2005, 02:31 PM
he is using microsoft windows by choice. he is being forced to use mcafee securesynergy by force. 😉
[snapback]5893[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sure. Point taken
But a Vulnerability still remains one ... by choice or perforce !

unless the latest version is found to be affected, we really cannot blame sify for that. the fact that the so called 'anti-virus' s*cks at what it is supposed to do is something we can blame sify on. 🙂

The latest version is not affected.I think a post like that should be left at the end of this topic so we don't freak someone new guy out.

Well the ASAP Anti Virus is a potentialy big security risk.It runs a web-server even now and any kind of server running is exploitable and is not needed when there are better ways to do things. I don't see any other Anti-Virus solution running a light-weight web-server.

But it isnt that potential bcoz asap auto updates itself quite properly . Av opening a lil webserver is quite funny :lol: . It does such to share some defs of viruses on network i think dunno properly abt it . Sify definitely cannot be blamed for it ...That asap has really helped somewhat . B4r sify forced people tp use it . every 3 out of 4 pc's had w32.Gaobat.gen over our network . Now there is one in 3

No the potential risk isn't because it auto-updates itself. All AVs auto-update themselves as does ASaP by connecting to some server on the internet, not by themselves becoming a server.You're right that ASaP's web-server is for sharing virus definitions with other machines. But why do we need that? All the other computers on a CTO's LAN should be responsible for their own security. Certainly they shouldn't depend on other subscribers' computers for virus defs when this imperils the security of everyone in the end because this isn't afterall a corporate LAN where all the computers can trust eachother significantly. Yes I agree that Sify pushing ASaP probably helped reduce virus troubles due to most people not using any kind of AVs at all. But clueful people would be better off without touching ASaP 😉

Secure synergy was made keeping in mind user networks of big company so its key features are updating automatically using less net bandwith . Have least user intercation (dumb people do miss viruses) .This is really handy features for admin of some big organizations .Sify probably seems to be using it in wrong place