• Thread starter Thread starter siddhesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 12,690

siddhesh

ISP
Sify and MTNL
Hi,

I'm posting this because I've found too many uninformed comments on the forum lambasting Sify for providing only 32 KBPS on a 256 kbps connection. I hope Shushubh marks this as sticky so that we can compile a list of facts that posters ought to look at before flaming meaninglessly about anyone/anything.

1) 256 kbps is not download speed:

When a pack is described as having speed of 256 kbps, it's not the download speed you'll see on your download manager. This speed is in kbps (note the lowercase) which means KiloBits per Second. What you see on your download manager is KBPS (note the uppercase) which means KiloBytes per Second. Now,

1 KiloByte=8KiloBits

So if your pack is 256 kbps then you will get speeds upto 256/8 KBPS that is upto 32 KBPS.

Also, these speeds are maximum speeds. You are guaranteed a minimum of half the speed specified in the pack subject to a minimum of 24 kbps.

2) What the CTO charges you is different from Sify charges

Sify provides services to the CTO, who then distributes to end users. the pack prices that we see on the Sify broadband website are base prices and that is what Sify gets from the CTOs. The CTOs are then free to add whatever they want to that base price and give you a price. Sify is forced to provide net services through CTOs due to some clashes with the cable mafia (I was witness to them; our society members were threatened and the Sify exec of our area was beaten up).

3) Differentiate between CTO services and Sify Services

Whenever an outage occurs, it can be due to 3 reasons:
a ) Your network card is faulty
b ) Your CTOs network has a problem
c ) Sify's network has a problem

There are many ways/utilities to check your if your network card is faulty; I won't go into that

There is one surefire way to check if your CTO network has a problem. Try to ping the gateway. If you're unsuccessful then the CTO network has a fault. Techies can go one step further and use a utility like nmap to make a list of hosts online in your network. Over time you will be able to make a virtual map of switches on your network and then be able to guess which switch has malfunctioned

If you're able to ping to your gateway but not able to login then it's surely a Sify network problem. Also, if your DNS lookups are failing then too it's a Sify problem. Basically, if you're able to ping the gateway and still your connectivity is bad then it's a Sify problem.

Please contribute anything you guys feel I may have missed out.

Regards,
Siddhesh

http://imageshack.us

good job 🙂

lik to add one more point

4) Always use Alternative clients like supersify & easy sify dont use der crapyy client

4) Always use Alternative clients like supersify & easy sify dont use der crapyy client[/b]

it is relevant if these clients work at all.

yep they do work still with old authentication 😉

QUOTE(NeO @ Aug 28 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]60317[/snapback]
4) Always use Alternative clients like supersify & easy sify dont use der crapyy client
[/b]
Try KillSBC.

1. Extract KillSBC_2.zip
2. Double-click KillSBC2.exe.
This will launch BBClient.exe and then it will kill BBClient.exe and BBImpSec.exe automatically after 5 sec (only after login 😉 ).

This is same as: Logging in using Supersify and then pressing Ctrl+C (to close the console)

Memory Usage = 0
Processor Usage = 0
also blocks the launch of default homepage (sify) 😉

How to logout?
India Broadband Forum
See Post #22 & 23

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you are very correct with what you have written.
I had even complained sify about it and also to the CTO who supply's sify fraud band to us.
Even spoke to the sify engineers and the CTO engineers and the net speed distrubuted is a fraud, and sify is cheating all its costumers by giving speeds divided by 8!

for eg. if i have 64kbps speed its divided by 8, so i get only 8kbps, and so its same for 128,256 kbps too. which is a clean fraud and the sify enginners say its the company policy and that I need to contact customer care AGAIN and explain to then about their DIVIDE AND RULE POLICY.....

Dont know what to do next as we dont have any other proper net and will wait for new one to arrive soon
QUOTE(siddhesh @ Aug 25 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]59923[/snapback]
Hi,

I'm posting this because I've found too many uninformed comments on the forum lambasting Sify for providing only 32 KBPS on a 256 kbps connection. I hope Shushubh marks this as sticky so that we can compile a list of facts that posters ought to look at before flaming meaninglessly about anyone/anything.

1) 256 kbps is not download speed:

When a pack is described as having speed of 256 kbps, it's not the download speed you'll see on your download manager. This speed is in kbps (note the lowercase) which means KiloBits per Second. What you see on your download manager is KBPS (note the uppercase) which means KiloBytes per Second. Now,

1 KiloByte=8KiloBits

So if your pack is 256 kbps then you will get speeds upto 256/8 KBPS that is upto 32 KBPS.

Also, these speeds are maximum speeds. You are guaranteed a minimum of half the speed specified in the pack subject to a minimum of 24 kbps.

2) What the CTO charges you is different from Sify charges

Sify provides services to the CTO, who then distributes to end users. the pack prices that we see on the Sify broadband website are base prices and that is what Sify gets from the CTOs. The CTOs are then free to add whatever they want to that base price and give you a price. Sify is forced to provide net services through CTOs due to some clashes with the cable mafia (I was witness to them; our society members were threatened and the Sify exec of our area was beaten up).

3) Differentiate between CTO services and Sify Services

Whenever an outage occurs, it can be due to 3 reasons:
a ) Your network card is faulty
b ) Your CTOs network has a problem
c ) Sify's network has a problem

There are many ways/utilities to check your if your network card is faulty; I won't go into that

There is one surefire way to check if your CTO network has a problem. Try to ping the gateway. If you're unsuccessful then the CTO network has a fault. Techies can go one step further and use a utility like nmap to make a list of hosts online in your network. Over time you will be able to make a virtual map of switches on your network and then be able to guess which switch has malfunctioned

If you're able to ping to your gateway but not able to login then it's surely a Sify network problem. Also, if your DNS lookups are failing then too it's a Sify problem. Basically, if you're able to ping the gateway and still your connectivity is bad then it's a Sify problem.

Please contribute anything you guys feel I may have missed out.
Regards,
Siddhesh[/b]

I'm sorry but I'm not sure you quite understood the context in which I wrote that. I meant to clarify that since the early days data rates have always been denoted in kilo-bits per second (kbps) as opposed to Kilo-Bytes per second (KBPS). So when you pay for 256kbps and get 32 KBPS you're not cheated at all. You're simply getting what you pay for.

@ siddheshVery right and useful information.[offtopic]BTW, you misspelt the moderator's name. Now he's going to ban you 😛[/offtopic]

Hello Siddesh,
sorry for late reply and based on what you said I am still looking for further detailed information on it and so far found few things which reveled all ready about the Kbps and kbps(lower case) differences.

Here is the information which I found based on what you said about networking etc. : http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicne.../bldef_kbps.htm

I still have to find out exact information on TRAI regulations on broadband and other net operators in India as I found this phenomena only in our country,
where as the speed given to corporate company's I found different then the consumer clients, like its always said "It Happens Only In India", I am currently doing MCSE and learning Linux as well along with advanced networking on my own and later hoping to do Linux certification course as well and so far this is becoming quiet an interesting learning. Many thank you for your reply and others as well.

Regards,
Cybertron.

QUOTE(siddhesh @ Feb 28 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]81649[/snapback]
I'm sorry but I'm not sure you quite understood the context in which I wrote that. I meant to clarify that since the early days data rates have always been denoted in kilo-bits per second (kbps) as opposed to Kilo-Bytes per second (KBPS). So when you pay for 256kbps and get 32 KBPS you're not cheated at all. You're simply getting what you pay for.[/b]

The 'B' capitalization matters not 'K'. So kbps (or Kbps) means kilobits while KBps (or kBps) means kilobytes.Corporate internet connections come under a completely different category. Those are leased lines as compared to metered internet service that we get. Leased lines cost much much more since their offering is unlimited in every sense -- speed, bandwidth and duration. You really cannot expect that at a fraction of the cost.I guess there's a contention on whether 64 kbps can be called broadband but that's not what I'm addressing here anyways.Siddhesh

i m going 2 buy sify broadband? can any1 tell me is it worth 2 buy it?????i stay in dombivli.....n i m going 4 it so that i can use dc++....curently i m using fabnet.....i m sure sify will b better than fab......

i have a online friend from delhi who uses sify...every now and then his net keeps on disconnecting...