Beam Fiber should Follow Hayai's Model - Open letter To Beam

• Thread starter Thread starter audioslave
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 12,280
Mg, as always your logic is flawless, but i am inclined to agree with Dakiya, the Indian domestic user is just not ready for such speeds nor data-based plans, not only that, he has no need of it regardless of what the high-flying hotshots claim, and it would only invite abuse, and resentment and misunderstanding when restricted. Beam's plans, from what i have read of them, are the most pragmatic, and fair to the user, and will remain so for at least another couple of decades.

The statistics would suggest otherwise. Irrespective of speeds, the larger percentage of users across all the ISPs are on data plans of some sort. Whether an increase of speed is offered or not, the price per GB should be less than it is now. I'd say that paying Rs200-500/GB breeds more resentment than the actual restrictions on data, wouldn't you?

There's no reason that users currently on ~2mbit/s data plans offered by the likes of MTNL shouldn't simply be having that data delivered at line speed (in MTNL's case, up to 8, 12 or 24mbit/s depending on the DSLAM). Most of the users in this category aren't going to know or notice the difference in practice because they're only being offered

Didn't know of those statistics, as i have said before my opinions are mostly self-centric and based on my personal preferences and notions of market trends. If truly so, this majority of data based users would certainly benefit at no extra cost to themselves or the ISP by the increased speeds. But for the rest, the extra speed makes no sense (to me), would be expensive if not restrictive, and superfluous, and Beam has struck the best balance with their plans, especially the one offering 10Mbps for first 30/60 and 2Mbps after that.Please remember, i am in the habit of talking through my hat. 🙂

----------

Nothing compares to the Reliance plan that i am using, and i haven't been fuped ever..a poor thing sir, but mine own.

Didn't know of those statistics, as i have said before my opinions are mostly self-centric and based on my personal preferences and notions of market trends. If truly so, this majority of data based users would certainly benefit at no extra cost to themselves or the ISP by the increased speeds. But for the rest, the extra speed makes no sense (to me), would be expensive if not restrictive, and superfluous, and Beam has struck the best balance with their plans, especially the one offering 10Mbps for first 30/60 and 2Mbps after that.Please remember, i am in the habit of talking through my hat. 🙂

----------

Nothing compares to the Reliance plan that i am using, and i haven't been fuped ever..a poor thing sir, but mine own.

just my words.

I Just visited Beam local office and to get my plan upgraded... I met some of the old employees from the time I initially took connection few years back (they remember me cos I did have lots of heated-arguments and fights back then)... they introduced me to the center manager.... He was pretty courteous to my surprise.. So I asked him few questions.. I asked him who they had arrived at the plan/fup/speed etc. He told that they had studied the trend of how people have been using the existing packages before up-gradation... and so have decreased the FUP limit and increased the speed... Another interesting thing he mentioned was, even after the speed change most of new connections have been on the two lowest end plans... Bmax400 (Rs400/512kbps) and Bmax600 (Rs600/1mbps) ! And asked if it was because they might be less educated.. He give some interesting numbers... He said out of 1.2L+ customers only 20K-30K were in 10mbps or above plans.. and not even half of them were in IT (from his knowledge). And on the other hand, the user of plans were mixed with people even using it to work from home... He also mentioned that data plans are more favored over unlimited plans.. His point was people think that they don't need an unlimited plan and also the fact that are cheaper (to start with) adds up to it...I am not sure if this person got his numbers correct (he seemed pretty confident)... but generally speaking this is mostly the trend in India.. And Hyderabad being a city, I guess in rural and semi-urban cities, the numbers would be even more skewed towards the low-end priced market... I too am making vague guesses from my perception... But the fact is we do have many cable-walas who are making there mark in the ISP market... inspite of their bad CC in all cases and bad network in most cases...

Joke No 1: He said out of 1.2L+ customers only 20K-30K were in 10mbps or above plans..

Beam has got 1.2+ Customers???? Man i am betting with anyone they have got more than 2lakh residential customers. May be they have 20k-30k opting for 10mbps or above. Do u know beam serves Traffic police waala's ? You see a camera on every signal? .. they are connected to control room on a beam connection.
From what i heard from my close sources, they tell me maximum of them opted B-MAX600.

Joke No 2: He also mentioned that data plans are more favored over unlimited plans..

I hear 1 out of 10 who is opting Limited package.

hmm... I can't defend him nor can I agree with you on this... apparently this guy has been around sometime... Though, people would boast of more connections why would someone say they have lesser connections.. ( actually he din't even mention residential either.. )But you missed the point here, I mentioned this discussion to specify the general tendency of people to go for lesser 'priced' plans... (not necessarily less speed though)...

He said out of 1.2L+ customers only 20K-30K were in 10mbps or above plans..
he need to check his facts or the local cable walas doing some tricks.
in vidyanager area itself, colony near the railway station got atlest 500 homes with 10mbps plan.
people are not known about the upgrades or they fear as they think that 10mbps should be costly, like 2000 -5000/-
beam should educate them.

He might be true... I am 100% right here!😀

----------

he need to check his facts or the local cable walas doing some tricks.
in vidyanager area itself, colony near the railway station hot atlest 500 homes with 10mbps plan.
people are not known about the upgrades or they fear as they think that 10mbps should be costly, like 2000 -5000/-
beam should educate them.

Wtf? 10mbps for 500 homes!!! Holy shit 20kbps for each customer?

I guess for an average user 10mbps vs 512kbps may not matter.. What he might be seeing is 400 vs 1000 bucks...

Joke No 1:

Beam has got 1.2+ Customers???? Man i am betting with anyone they have got more than 2lakh residential customers. May be they have 20k-30k opting for 10mbps or above. Do u know beam serves Traffic police waala's ? You see a camera on every signal? .. they are connected to control room on a beam connection.
From what i heard from my close sources, they tell me maximum of them opted B-MAX600.

Actually this would be roughly in line with MTNL Mumbai's numbers as well - not the actual subscriber count, but the percentages. It shows that what we're doing is indeed a niche but that said niche does in fact exist and is very much worth pursuing.

Secondly, the traffic police will be on a special all-inclusive deal - those cameras are supposed to be on a closed circuit.

Thirdly, 1.2 lakh is just short of their IP address count, but it's possible that you're quite right in that there is closer to 2 lakh customers - usually it's the cablewalas themselves that are under-reporting numbers in order to rip off the ISP (especially the ones who do their own authentication) and from what I know only in recent months, there are some very dirty tricks going on with subscribers lists from some of the ISPs that have been for sale recently (we looked at a couple to buy).

Joke No 2:

I hear 1 out of 10 who is opting Limited package.

That would be very inconsistent with the nationwide statistics.

I guess for an average user 10mbps vs 512kbps may not matter.. What he might be seeing is 400 vs 1000 bucks...

Fully agree. That's kinda how we had to formulate our plans, and contributes to the reasons why we don't have anything like 2mbit/s unlimited for 500 bucks (apart from the fact that it would be impossible, it makes upselling to a higher plan with a better FUP or whatever even more difficult).

Wtf? 10mbps for 500 homes!!! Holy shit 20kbps for each customer?

I think he means 500 homes, each with the 10mbit/s plan.

I Just visited Beam local office and to get my plan upgraded... I met some of the old employees from the time I initially took connection few years back (they remember me cos I did have lots of heated-arguments and fights back then)... they introduced me to the center manager.... He was pretty courteous to my surprise.. So I asked him few questions.. I asked him who they had arrived at the plan/fup/speed etc. He told that they had studied the trend of how people have been using the existing packages before up-gradation... and so have decreased the FUP limit and increased the speed...

Another interesting thing he mentioned was, even after the speed change most of new connections have been on the two lowest end plans... Bmax400 (Rs400/512kbps) and Bmax600 (Rs600/1mbps) ! And asked if it was because they might be less educated.. He give some interesting numbers... He said out of 1.2L+ customers only 20K-30K were in 10mbps or above plans.. and not even half of them were in IT (from his knowledge). And on the other hand, the user of plans were mixed with people even using it to work from home... He also mentioned that data plans are more favored over unlimited plans.. His point was people think that they don't need an unlimited plan and also the fact that are cheaper (to start with) adds up to it...

I am not sure if this person got his numbers correct (he seemed pretty confident)... but generally speaking this is mostly the trend in India.. And Hyderabad being a city, I guess in rural and semi-urban cities, the numbers would be even more skewed towards the low-end priced market...

I too am making vague guesses from my perception... But the fact is we do have many cable-walas who are making there mark in the ISP market... inspite of their bad CC in all cases and bad network in most cases...
i dont even know one customer whoz using limited plans! 😕
bTw did you ask him abt the shitty CC service..!? 😀
if no...then plz atleast request him to change that fcuking song playing on the CC line! 😀

CC service hah... When I went in, the guy at reception asked was if I had a disconnection... so much confidence on their system... 😛Even as I was speaking to them, couple of customers came and were arguing... these guys embarrassingly tried to defend themselves saying 'the customers and tickets have swelled...' I actually asked him to give his number.. (to avoid calling the CC ) but they know me (last time around I bugged them to the limit) so din't give me their personal number...

yeah beams limited plans are bogus....what i saw in their website.

----------

by the way the webpage's FUP section has no values in it...has it been withdrawn or what?

:lol:... come on I was not taking his interview.. 😛

----------

infact I think next time I go i'll ask him to join the forum!!! watsay?