why indian telecom operator selecting Chinese equipment manfuacture!

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
I thought all computer parts we bought was Chinese.

Even my nokia mobile is made in china.

In china there are two different industries.. one cheap and one reliable.

As long as companies select reliable one.. we shudnt have problem.

Many computer components come from Taiwan. Like many tech companies, Nokia has a manufacturing plant in China, but like other companies, those manufacturing facilities have to adhere to the standards set out by the original company (Nokia, Apple, Motorola, you name it).

Chinese brands made in China are a different story.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i thought nokia made their phones in india for sale in the local market! i mean even dell manufactures locally for local sales...

Toocool

Addicts
Apr 2, 2007
^ only some models, that are cheap are produced in india, the models that are available in most markets around the world are not mainly produced in india.

Toocool

Addicts
Apr 2, 2007
Infact some same models are made according to the markets ,in which these are to be sent,for example, nokia n8 that came to indian markets may have different quality than that of u.k markets, I hear ppl say coke in india is different than america, and that it's not about difference in ground water,as water can be purified to the level of america.it's just they don't need, to produce same quality as the market is not that mature and doesn't demand very high standards here.

manivas

Vasu
Regulars
May 23, 2008
Hyderabad
I dont know about nokia, but sony ericsson products have good quality (even though they are highly priced and slightly outdated). I mean same quality worldwide.

devx101

Senior
Regulars
Dec 29, 2010
I hear ppl say coke in india is different than america, and that it's not about difference in ground water,as water can be purified to the level of america.it's just they don't need, to produce same quality as the market is not that mature and doesn't demand very high standards here.

if this is true then it is highly humiliating. They change standards even for a 10-12 rs. product. they have increased the prices a lot and further increase will not do any harm to bring the standard to global one.

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
if this is true then it is highly humiliating. They change standards even for a 10-12 rs. product. they have increased the prices a lot and further increase will not do any harm to bring the standard to global one.

They do adhere to global standards - why do you think so many Indian companies tell things like "we're ISO 9001 certified!!!!!"... does anybody know what the hell that even means? Very few will.

In coke's case I don't think it comes down to the water, but to the manufacture of the syrup... European regulations on sugar and the other components like artificial flavouring and colour are probably different to US, Indian, Australian etc. Another example here would be where Cadbury chocolate tastes different here in NZ as compared to India and the UK.

In Nokia's case, I think that most of the Indian-made phones are the low-end ones specifically designed for the buyers spending under $20, and other models (and also the ones that they OEM for certain telcos) are manufactured in their other facilities around the world. All in all, this probably isn't really a bad thing, as Nokia probably saves a bundle on shipping, and it may also help in the supply chain, preventing the calamities that have occasionally befallen other vendors (Apple).

C

chetan31

[OP]
amish, there is difference between chinese invented and chinese assembeled . have you ever gone to huwaie R&D center in bangalore, if situation permits they will even go upto extent of manufacturing liquid soaps for their empolyees in office. my friends work in huwaie bangalore, he says whenever chinese guys come they always talk of how they can make duplicates of their compititor product and subsidise opex and capex, moreso talking about quality is offence there. well, there is big q? on their product quality

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
amish, there is difference between chinese invented and chinese assembeled . have you ever gone to huwaie R&D center in bangalore, if situation permits they will even go upto extent of manufacturing liquid soaps for their empolyees in office. my friends work in huwaie bangalore, he says whenever chinese guys come they always talk of how they can make duplicates of their compititor product and subsidise opex and capex, moreso talking about quality is offence there. well, there is big q? on their product quality

There's also some hoo-haa going on at the moment with Huawei's position in the market because of it's huge credit line (something like $30 billion on revenues of way less than that... which in economic terms is the opposite of good).

v1rus

Regular
Regulars
Apr 28, 2011
hi guys, i could see people complaining signal issues , connectivity problem , call drops etc on this forum. reason what i could find out was bad and cheap equipment from these chinese vendors. i happened to speak to my cousin in US and singapore as well. their opinion is compeletly different . they say T-mobile, Verizon is completly on Ericsson and alcatel lucent. even in single bar they are able to talk with cristal clarity. infact low signal has always been a culture there as laws are strict in US and singapore for errecting towers. more so , apart from AT&T all operators provide consistently 6-6.5 mbps on 7.2 3G plan. Verizon is already on 4G LTE with average throughput of 80 mbps. my cousin uses HTC EVO 4G while in moving train and average speed what he gets is 45-60mbps. well, comeon we are struggling to get even 1 or 1.5 mbps on aircel , bsnl except airtel. more so we are equivalently paying 3G charges as if we are getting 7.1 mbps till last mile connectivity. Is this because telecom operators in india are not at all in serious business and purchase cheap equipment from huwaie or ZTE.last i remebered airtel 2G network was on Ericsson and now they are also expanding with huwaie.pls comment!

In original context:

The signal problem we face can be an issue because of the bad network planning by the mobile operator.

Quality always remains a criteria when a service provider places an order for the equipments.

Every major operator has a test lab, a set of test cases and QOS parameters on which they judge shortlisted equipment makers (Bigger the service provider stringent will be QOS parameters) and the equipment maker with the better service quality in test lab, and not the cheaper one, is generally selected after the tests.