why indian telecom operator selecting Chinese equipment manfuacture!

• Thread starter Thread starter chetan31
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,613
I hear ppl say coke in india is different than america, and that it's not about difference in ground water,as water can be purified to the level of america.it's just they don't need, to produce same quality as the market is not that mature and doesn't demand very high standards here.

if this is true then it is highly humiliating. They change standards even for a 10-12 rs. product. they have increased the prices a lot and further increase will not do any harm to bring the standard to global one.

if this is true then it is highly humiliating. They change standards even for a 10-12 rs. product. they have increased the prices a lot and further increase will not do any harm to bring the standard to global one.

They do adhere to global standards - why do you think so many Indian companies tell things like "we're ISO 9001 certified!!!!!"... does anybody know what the hell that even means? Very few will.

In coke's case I don't think it comes down to the water, but to the manufacture of the syrup... European regulations on sugar and the other components like artificial flavouring and colour are probably different to US, Indian, Australian etc. Another example here would be where Cadbury chocolate tastes different here in NZ as compared to India and the UK.

In Nokia's case, I think that most of the Indian-made phones are the low-end ones specifically designed for the buyers spending under $20, and other models (and also the ones that they OEM for certain telcos) are manufactured in their other facilities around the world. All in all, this probably isn't really a bad thing, as Nokia probably saves a bundle on shipping, and it may also help in the supply chain, preventing the calamities that have occasionally befallen other vendors (Apple).

amish, there is difference between chinese invented and chinese assembeled . have you ever gone to huwaie R&D center in bangalore, if situation permits they will even go upto extent of manufacturing liquid soaps for their empolyees in office. my friends work in huwaie bangalore, he says whenever chinese guys come they always talk of how they can make duplicates of their compititor product and subsidise opex and capex, moreso talking about quality is offence there. well, there is big q? on their product quality

amish, there is difference between chinese invented and chinese assembeled . have you ever gone to huwaie R&D center in bangalore, if situation permits they will even go upto extent of manufacturing liquid soaps for their empolyees in office. my friends work in huwaie bangalore, he says whenever chinese guys come they always talk of how they can make duplicates of their compititor product and subsidise opex and capex, moreso talking about quality is offence there. well, there is big q? on their product quality

There's also some hoo-haa going on at the moment with Huawei's position in the market because of it's huge credit line (something like $30 billion on revenues of way less than that... which in economic terms is the opposite of good).

hi guys, i could see people complaining signal issues , connectivity problem , call drops etc on this forum. reason what i could find out was bad and cheap equipment from these chinese vendors. i happened to speak to my cousin in US and singapore as well. their opinion is compeletly different . they say T-mobile, Verizon is completly on Ericsson and alcatel lucent. even in single bar they are able to talk with cristal clarity. infact low signal has always been a culture there as laws are strict in US and singapore for errecting towers. more so , apart from AT&T all operators provide consistently 6-6.5 mbps on 7.2 3G plan. Verizon is already on 4G LTE with average throughput of 80 mbps. my cousin uses HTC EVO 4G while in moving train and average speed what he gets is 45-60mbps. well, comeon we are struggling to get even 1 or 1.5 mbps on aircel , bsnl except airtel. more so we are equivalently paying 3G charges as if we are getting 7.1 mbps till last mile connectivity. Is this because telecom operators in india are not at all in serious business and purchase cheap equipment from huwaie or ZTE.last i remebered airtel 2G network was on Ericsson and now they are also expanding with huwaie.pls comment!

In original context:

The signal problem we face can be an issue because of the bad network planning by the mobile operator.

Quality always remains a criteria when a service provider places an order for the equipments.

Every major operator has a test lab, a set of test cases and QOS parameters on which they judge shortlisted equipment makers (Bigger the service provider stringent will be QOS parameters) and the equipment maker with the better service quality in test lab, and not the cheaper one, is generally selected after the tests.

In original context:

The signal problem we face can be an issue because of the bad network planning by the mobile operator.

Quality always remains a criteria when a service provider places an order for the equipments.

Every major operator has a test lab, a set of test cases and QOS parameters on which they judge shortlisted equipment makers (Bigger the service provider stringent will be QOS parameters) and the equipment maker with the better service quality in test lab, and not the cheaper one, is generally selected after the tests.

That wouldn't really explain most of the equipment decisions from some of the providers - I've personally heard the words uttered "it's the cheapest we could get without going to China".

There's also a requirement that licensees purchase something like 30% of their equipment from Indian vendors, which to me is just a waste of money - what if the operator doesn't want to use that equipment? He's stuck with this potentially huge financial burden and a pile of basically useless equipment for no good reason.

Infact some same models are made according to the markets ,in which these are to be sent,for example, Nokia n8 that came to indian markets may have different quality than that of u.k markets, I hear ppl say coke in india is different than america, and that it's not about difference in ground water,as water can be purified to the level of america.it's just they don't need, to produce same quality as the market is not that mature and doesn't demand very high standards here.
That would be a very bad practice to follow if they want to make an impact in the Indian market. No, they want to sell you the very same thing. After all we are only talking about flavoured water not anything more. The avg cost of a can of coke to the manufacturer is presently about $0.02, coke sells for twelve times that amount if not more.

There are three things here to consider
- the water
- quantity of concentrate used
- storage conditions

As i understand it Coke & also Pepsi is made from concentrate that is manufactured in the US and then shipped worldwide. So the main ingredients are the same. They don't allow concentrate to be made in other countries as that way they can't control the quality as well as risk losing their secret formula. When they say concentrate they mean it, it is incredibly concentrated. A 5 litre tub can makes about 10,000 cans worth.

They might modify the recipe slightly for some markets but it won't change the taste too much. I did not find a noticeable difference between Coke in Europe vs US. They use corn sugar in the US, which isn't used elsewhere.

Sometimes I find the coke here to be slightly diluted compared to abroad. Are they using less concentrate ? doubtful, the water can be matched so its mainly down to storage. Coke needs to be stored in a shaded cool area. In India the ambient temperatures are much higher than in the west so i suspect this is the biggest culprit that affects the taste. You never want to buy from a guy who sells on the street because he only runs his fridge during the day, and during the night its switched off. The shack he stores it in is never going to be as cool as storage in say a building that houses a supermarket.

You have to check the date on the bottle because he wants to sell his stuff, older will not taste as good as newer.

Control for all the above and there is no reason coke in India should taste any inferior compared to elsewhere.

that's nice piece of information, but one thing which i have observed over the years is that coke cans from the Saudi countries like dubai etc (these cans are generally available at shops which sell imported chocolate etc) taste completely different and i am not talking about diet coke, its the same red can with urdu on one side and English on the other and the taste is totally different from the regular coke cans available in India, they taste far less sweeter than normal coke.And another difference i have seen is in the taste of normal coke can and a 500ml pet bottle, every time i drink either of those i notice something different in the taste

True, That's because the standards for products in many countries are high... and in most cases the standards have to be MET.. unlike hereAnd not just coke most of the products from middle-east.. like soaps, shampoos etc are of better quality... and I specifically talking about international brands... like Garnier, Lux, Nivea etc.. I know this from my personal experience as well as many frnds who used them........