• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2,040

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
I have got a 160GB Samsung (SP1604N) hdd in an external enclosure for just over 2 years. It has given me no problems so far, and it's too late to touch wood I fear. I recently transferred it to another enclosure, since the new box had a fan as well as an on/off button. I hadn't used itmuch since, but it worked fine for at least a couple of 2-3 hour stretches... since yesterday when I turn it on it just goes click-click-click-click (about 2-3 clicks a second) and doesn't appear in My Computer. From whatever I have found on Google, it seems that it is dead. The good part is that the real important stuff I have pretty much backed up 99%. But I have about 60-80 Gigs of movies and music, which I fear is gone now.I also tried putting the drive back in the old enclosure, but the same thing happens. A couple of good smacks did nothing either.Is there anything I can do? Or am I sh*t out of luck?

Since the drive is almost useless, try putting it in a ziplock bag (or a watertight bag) and sticking in the freezer over night, then connect it up in the morning and if it works, be ready to copy stuff off it fast.

Bad News! That Clicking Sound is Your HDDs Head Rattling while it clashes to the Platter, Your Hard Disk has just bunch of days to live, get it replaced immediatly!

get it replaced... hehehe... as if it's on some extended warranty! No, I have basically since reconciled myself that I have lost the drive and the data (but as I mentioned I have all the important stuff backed up)... and I don't feel like spending the money on getting a new hard drive.. will probably move to DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs as the backup medium.So two questions:#1) What is the best way (that is to say most secure as well as environmentally friendly way) to dispose of the hard drive?#2) Has anyone used the dvd burning that is integrated into Windows XP explorer? As in, When you just add/delete files using My Computer and then tell it to burn the changes... that would be really convenient but is a good solution for backing up data?

Windows XP only has inbuilt CD Burning, not DVD Burning. the best way to dispose a HDDs huh? sell it real cheap to some idiot! tell him once the product the is sold no refund! ;-)

lol give it to jetking.. dem fools like to play with sh*t.. why do you want to use the dvd burning in xp? wats wrong with nero? if its some legal sh*t u worried about, get an ubuntu live cd, you can use drag and drop in it.. and it can read ntfs drives too ;-)