4G auction in India....

• Thread starter Thread starter anubhav11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,469
What? I thought it was already done. Then what was BWA?

right. and this would mean that airtel would have to spend a fortune once again to ensure that they retain their superiority in the indian market in the future.

What? I thought it was already done. Then what was BWA?

BWA is different . its 3.9G actually. And the 4G auction which govt is talking abt presently is 700 Mhz spectrum which will have 3.9G kinda data speed as well as Voice calls too Whereas in BWA you can't make outgoing calls. It can be done using VOIP.

Hi All,I'm confused. If Indian Govt havent sold 4G spectrum, how come Airtel has launched 4G in Kolkatta?Please enlighten me...Thank You

the 4G spectrum sold is not for voice services. they are for data services only.

BWA is not telephony license unlike 4G

BWA is different . its 3.9G actually. And the 4G auction which govt is talking abt presently is 700 Mhz spectrum which will have 3.9G kinda data speed as well as Voice calls too Whereas in BWA you can't make outgoing calls. It can be done using VOIP.

the 4G spectrum sold is not for voice services. they are for data services only.

Not exactly. Spectrum and service licensing are different and are sold separately by the government.

The *spectrum* can be used for *any* kind of service - the BWA auction was for the 2.3GHz band, and they will have a round 2 auction for the 700MHz band as has been mentioned.

The only real differences between the 2.3GHz and the 700MHz bands are that 700MHz travels longer distances and penetrates walls better and things like that, but 2.3GHz has much smaller cells, thus higher density of cells (basically, they can operate at higher bitrates or over longer distances but not both), so we can expect the 700MHz services to be aimed at the rural market and be of (relatively) low speed.

Otherwise the "LTE" standard covers both 700MHz & 2.3GHz bands (and some others) for the sake of compatibility, just the same as WCDMA and GSM cover 900/1800/2100/etc bands.

With regards to 3G/3.5G/3.9G/4G: these are *marketing terms* and should be taken with a pinch of salt - strictly speaking, they don't actually mean anything... anyone remember Tikona's billboards in 2009-10? Yeah.

As far as voice services over LTE is concerned, LTE is entirely IP-based and as such until recently it was not legal for voice services to be offered in the traditional sense (eg, no 4G cellphones in India yet), so the law surrounding VOIP is having to be amended, and the legalities of that are being (in my opinion) corrected by Mukesh Ambani & Co. with his new license regime (the same regime we are having to wait for in order to expand outside of Mumbai) - and once fully implemented will hopefully make competition in the ISP market even more fierce and maybe *just maybe* service quality will begin to win in order for the players to survive.