How does Beam fibre broadband work ?

shirishag75

Regular
ISP
BSNL dataone
Hi all, How does Beam Fibre Broadband. Is it having fibre to the basement (FTTB) , having some sort of switch/router/CPE have multiple CAT-5/6/6e/ Ethernet whatever cable running to each apartment block or what ?If it is fibre to the Home, then what CPE is given to end customers. I dunno if there are any consumer mainstream motherboards which has Fiber Channel support (between Rs. 2 ~ 4k/ ) . I know that there are usually server motherboards which have native Fiber Channel support. Looking forward for info. and clarifications.

Hi all,
How does Beam Fibre Broadband. Is it having fibre to the basement (FTTB) , having some sort of switch/router/CPE have multiple CAT-5/6/6e/ Ethernet whatever cable running to each apartment block or what ?

If it is fibre to the Home, then what CPE is given to end customers. I dunno if there are any consumer mainstream motherboards which has Fiber Channel support (between Rs. 2 ~ 4k/ ) . I know that there are usually server motherboards which have native Fiber Channel support.

Looking forward for info. and clarifications.

The connections I've seen are FTT Building, and they run Ethernet cables from a switch in the building to your apartment.

Also, Fiber Channel is used more for storage devices, not networking.

The connections I've seen are FTT Building, and they run Ethernet cables from a switch in the building to your apartment.

Also, Fiber Channel is used more for storage devices, not networking.
you are right carley.. fiber was pulled upto the building and switches were installed in some place.they locked the box which have switches. regarding cable, i don't know which type it is.

The cable to the users premisses is not even CAT5 I think so CAT 3 or 4 it is just 4 thin wires in that cable it is very similar to telephone line wire.

@mcgcarley, I was trying to figure out if there was any alternative way to have fiber directly fed to a motherboard port without some sort of box (modem/router whatever) . I was hoping that it would be the scenario it turned out.

I was trying to see if there was some 'magic' technology which bypasses having some sort of box in-between which I don't know about.

@vinnus. Most probably you guys might be having shielded UTP or STP CAT 5/6/6E cable . The thing is even if you have fiber to the basement or wherever the box, the split cables from there, what quality of cables they are and how much it had/has to bend around in the building.

I don't know much but I do know that there are enough vendors that would make your head spin. Companies of course are in a good position as they have the money to do tests and see which cable and what quality of cables is compatible to their system.

Here's a wikipedia link for you on the same subject. Twisted pair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If possible take a few snaps and see what sort of box is there. If you are able to take a snap of the box (better with its name and/or model no.) and snaps of the coaxial cable.

Looking forward to info. and GN.

@mcgcarley, I was trying to figure out if there was any alternative way to have fiber directly fed to a motherboard port without some sort of box (modem/router whatever) . I was hoping that it would be the scenario it turned out.

You can buy a Fiber Optic network card but they're expensive, and it wouldn't be worth your while because ISPs are not running fiber in to your home.

I was trying to see if there was some 'magic' technology which bypasses having some sort of box in-between which I don't know about.

For a variety of reasons (not to mention the issue of authentication), you're going to need the box for the forseeable future.

You can buy a Fiber Optic network card but they're expensive, and it wouldn't be worth your while because ISPs are not running fiber in to your home.

Right.

For a variety of reasons (not to mention the issue of authentication), you're going to need the box for the forseeable future.

the authentication part I totally forgot as well as probably tuning stuff so I can tune some services and/or protocols on the box itself. That would be good for the CPU/cabinet/box as that much less services on the comp., that much less CPU or memory consumption or atleast that can be used for something else.

Also security may be a factor although dunno if nowadays those sort of boxes have SSL or TLS built-in, that would be nice, maybe with possibility of doing PGP authentication. I have seen some people do the same on hardware running tomato firmware.

mcgarley, these in-between boxes, would they be fiber-modems right or something else ?

the authentication part I totally forgot as well as probably tuning stuff so I can tune some services and/or protocols on the box itself. That would be good for the CPU/cabinet/box as that much less services on the comp., that much less CPU or memory consumption or atleast that can be used for something else.

Also security may be a factor although dunno if nowadays those sort of boxes have SSL or TLS built-in, that would be nice, maybe with possibility of doing PGP authentication. I have seen some people do the same on hardware running tomato firmware.

...these are all very different things, but the boxes themselves authenticate with the network however the provider sets it to (802.1x, PPPoE, Certificate etc), and on-net traffic is encrypted with AES so that other users can't read the traffic of anyone else on that network segment, so in some way, it's kind of like having a permanent SSL connection between your CPE and the OLT at least.