Wearing latex gloves & headgears paannipuri vendors frm Mumbai & Thane serve their customers

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 84
  • Views Views 20,049
@kreacher10 Very well put buddy but was it really worth the trouble? :thumbup (2):

Hmm True but sometimes its necessary to HIGHLIGHT in one post the idiocy oops 'innocence' of some inane posts especially when they keep repeating frequently just to increase ones own post count & 'prove' ones intelligence. :laugh (2): One has to also highlight the credibility of some posters who almost seem unstable in their attempt to prove themselves right. I wonder why this need? Frustration, ignored elsewhere the mind boggles??? (Anyway no point in wasting time in that train of thought) Apparently from some posts above ii appears that municipal authorities, FDA & pvt labs, activists don't conduct such tests in some cities.😱 I don't think they are certified in the 'US' :rofl:

@anant.del :rofl:

And the negative publicity that was generated as a result will act as a deterrent. Their livelihood depends on the trust of the customer. You think they won't police themselves over this. I say they have no choice.
This is easier said than done. I believe the paani puri phenomenon is far bigger here in Mumbai than anywhere else in the country and we speak from our local context. You must realize that this is a totally unorganized sector with each individual operator working quite independently. I can't see them being able to police themselves.

That's what this is, just a scare. If there are a thousand vendors and just one guy does it your odds are 0.1%, if 10 do it then its 1%. If you eat out a 100 times in different parts of the city, then your odds of catching the guy are just one out of a hundred. If you do this every three days, then maybe one time in the year you might get the guy who did it. If you eat out less chances are nil.
I think you need to work out the odds more carefully. With 1% operators peeing into their lotas a person who eats out a 100 times has a better than even chance of eating at one such operator. Certainly much much higher than one in a hundred as you have stated. Unless you meant the chances of actually catching one red handed.
Secondly, even if he were the only guy doing it, there is no way I, as a consumer can know that. It certainly dissuades me from taking a chance with any operator. I will buy the makings and prepare it at home.

I am amazed at the turn this thread has taken. It started off being a post of a news item which many Mumbaikars would find humorous. But somehow it has gone way off base with personal attacks aplenty.I do not want to get into the personal side of it. However, when I go through the debate, one question arises in my mind and perhaps I should direct it to blr_p.There are many outlets in this city that specialize in selling supposedly organically grown agricultural products. From what you are saying, it appears that this might just be hogwash for the supposed benefits this brings. Would be so kind as to post some credible information debunking the myth of the benefit of organically grown stuff?

@kreacher10 Very well put buddy but was it really worth the trouble? :thumbup (2):
That's what i thought and its not well put at all. Just look at the length he has gone to save face and in doing so has put himself even more in the ditch. It would be counter productive for me to reply to it, there are so many holes i could rip it into shreds.

A simple question was asked. no answers forthcoming as yet 🙂

PS: plz go and watch slum dog millionaire :rofl: even they knw whats happening in so called restaurants and Hotels where the boy fills the water from tap and then seals of the bisleri bottel.
So if one place does it every other does so as well ? You don't think you're over generalising here.

A cousin of mine started ordering those big inverted bottles at home because his daughter got sick from drinking the water in their home, they used to boil it and all. Not good enough. He said all he had was trust that the vendor would not mess with it. Glad i don't live in such an area aquaguard has alwas worked fine for me.

Given the way media is nowadays, local media especially, any one that tries anything would be risking his business. Now this is to do with bottling business. In a restaurant which buys products from some one else they will just point at the bottling people.

This is easier said than done. I believe the paani puri phenomenon is far bigger here in Mumbai than anywhere else in the country and we speak from our local context. You must realize that this is a totally unorganized sector with each individual operator working quite independently. I can't see them being able to police themselves.
Did you see that pic of them with headgear and gloves. How long has that been going on ?

Isn't this direct evidence of self-policing ?

Look, paani puri is an india wide phenomenon, the only difference is it tastes better in bombay or thats what i'm given to believe.

I think you need to work out the odds more carefully. With 1% operators peeing into their lotas a person who eats out a 100 times has a better than even chance of eating at one such operator. Certainly much much higher than one in a hundred as you have stated. Unless you meant the chances of actually catching one red handed.
Not redhanded, the odds of that are negligible. I mean you get a guy that pisses in his lota and serves you out of it.

Lets try it again

1000 wallahs, 1% does it so that means ten dodgy vendors.

Your chances are 1 in a hundred if you eat out just once.

If you eat out 100 times and assuming thats over a year your chances are once at a minimum.

That is if you eat at a different vendor each time.

Now you are prolly following a fixed route, if thats the case and you got the dodgy guy in your route then you're going to be getting it more than once. You could argue this is the most common case. To which i can say, you prolly have a preference for a guy or two. You will prefer to go to the same person. Now when you make that choice its going to be 1 out of a hundred. So sticking with one, two or a few guys might be safer than trying out too many others.

You're playing the odds here is what i'm trying to say 🙂

Secondly, even if he were the only guy doing it, there is no way I, as a consumer can know that. It certainly dissuades me from taking a chance with any operator.

Thats the power of fear, it makes you behave irrationally. It stops you from reasoning and makes it easy to manipulate you.

I will buy the makings and prepare it at home.
Nothing beats home made which is sad i think. There is something to be said about eating out and being waited on.

There are many outlets in this city that specialize in selling supposedly organically grown agricultural products. From what you are saying, it appears that this might just be hogwash for the supposed benefits this brings. Would be so kind as to post some credible information debunking the myth of the benefit of organically grown stuff?
OK, you are asking me to prove a negative. This is very difficult to do. Far easier is to show whether there are detrimental effects to plants as socrates mentioned.

About organic, the only thing that matters is taste. It tastes better, now to experience that the easiest way is in a juice. Its much more concentrated. You will not be able to tell the difference in taste in a dish. That to me negates the value of organic food as its much more expensive. Now the organic fans will come out with similar stuff to what socrates said, and i ask them to prove that.

They are the ones saying the normal stuff is bad. It is for them to show such rather than the other way around 🙂

So if one place does it every other does so as well ? You don't think you're over generalising here.

A cousin of mine started ordering those big inverted bottles at home because his daughter got sick from drinking the water in their home, they used to boil it and all. Not good enough. He said all he had was trust that the vendor would not mess with it. Glad i don't live in such an area aquaguard has alwas worked fine for me.

Given the way media is nowadays, local media especially, any one that tries anything would be risking his business. Now this is to do with bottling business. In a restaurant which buys products from some one else they will just point at the bottling people.

we never know whats happening until we see it 😛

Bleh, essay type replies.@Anant!~ Chandni Chowk is a cool location, what say? BTW did you short list some names for our Chaat Bhandaar :tasty:

@Anant!~ Chandni Chowk is a cool location, what say? BTW did you short list some names for our Chaat Bhandaar :tasty:

yup working on it....axel would have already cm out with the names by now wonder were he is 😀

I am feeling hungry all of a sudden :tongue1:

me too now after seeing the pic 🙂

Poor chap see he once again proves all my points. According to him my long post is proof at the lengths I have gone to ‘save face’ but has forgotten the length of his own posts :rofl: what more needs to be said. Later says that replying is counterproductive for him to reply but has with post #65 & proved to what lengths he goes to prove to ALL that he says is right EVERYTIME but has forgotten what he has read in past posts. Post #58 has got another pathetic bleat in reply.
@anant.del: In post #65 he proves his ignorance by referring to ‘big inverted bottles of water’, he does not even know what it’s called & this is the level of knowledge we are dealing with here. Then gets down to media bashing shows a clearly that he cannot separate the facts from the hype the media uses so he generalizes & paints the entire media black but criticizes you & others of doing the same what hypocrisy.

@Daddycool: He asks you if you have seen the pic in this thread, of the plastic covers on the hands (NOT GLOVES as mentioned) & plastic headgear. Again proves controrary to his claim of knowing about this incident does not know that it was given to them by a local NGO. How long are these things used?? Haven’t we seen similar pictures in the past in Mumbai what happened after the picture was taken? :rofl:
Later actually admits that he taking the easy way out of what you asked him. Lol
Like anant.del said I don’t want to write another essay here but I think enough has been said to prove that somebody probably does have a medical problem.:blink2:

Did you see that pic of them with headgear and gloves. How long has that been going on ?

Isn't this direct evidence of self-policing ?
Not necessarily sir. More like a PR exercise. But if you have gone through the thread and seen some points raised herein, you would realize that headgear and gloves do not "Hygiene" make if you get my drift. It might fool some people, it might help them to overcome the natural disgust but it guarantees zilch. Any potential customer who has the capacity to think will surely factor that in before he eats there.
Edit: Just saw kreacher's post. If these were handed out to them by an NGO then your pointing this out as an example of self-policing goes out the proverbial window n'est ce pas?
Not redhanded, the odds of that are negligible. I mean you get a guy that pisses in his lota and serves you out of it.

Lets try it again

1000 wallahs, 1% does it so that means ten dodgy vendors.

Your chances are 1 in a hundred if you eat out just once.

If you eat out 100 times and assuming thats over a year your chances are once at a minimum.

That is if you eat at a different vendor each time.
I completely disagree. It has been decades since I did any worthwhile probability calculations but I assure that number is well above 50%. Each time I eat out it is 1%. If I eat out randomly a 100 times that is a very high probability. Wish someone here could do the math which I have long forgotten.
Now you are prolly following a fixed route, if thats the case and you got the dodgy guy in your route then you're going to be getting it more than once. You could argue this is the most common case. To which i can say, you prolly have a preference for a guy or two. You will prefer to go to the same person. Now when you make that choice its going to be 1 out of a hundred. So sticking with one, two or a few guys might be safer than trying out too many others.

Yeah but on the other hand, if one of your guys is the lota wallah then you've got big problems and you don't even know it. 🙂
You're playing the odds here is what i'm trying to say 🙂
Completely agree

Thats the power of fear, it makes you behave irrationally. It stops you from reasoning and makes it easy to manipulate you.
Yet it is the same fear that helps to preserve us. Our life-saver in danger. Many a fearless man is so because he is ignorant. Think about it.

Nothing beats home made which is sad i think. There is something to be said about eating out and being waited on.
agree again.

OK, you are asking me to prove a negative. This is very difficult to do. Far easier is to show whether there are detrimental effects to plants as socrates mentioned.

About organic, the only thing that matters is taste. It tastes better, now to experience that the easiest way is in a juice. Its much more concentrated. You will not be able to tell the difference in taste in a dish. That to me negates the value of organic food as its much more expensive. Now the organic fans will come out with similar stuff to what socrates said, and i ask them to prove that.

They are the ones saying the normal stuff is bad. It is for them to show such rather than the other way around 🙂

I confess I am completely ignorant about the subject so no comments.

Not necessarily sir. More like a PR exercise. But if you have gone through the thread and seen some points raised herein, you would realize that headgear and gloves do not "Hygiene" make if you get my drift. It might fool some people, it might help them to overcome the natural disgust but it guarantees zilch. Any potential customer who has the capacity to think will surely factor that in before he eats there.

Sure but it muddies the picture now isn't it. I can't say its completely safe (but you can manage that) neither can you say its the opposite ie cannot use absolutes. If its PR then the goal was served to a degree in countering negative perceptions. And perceptions is about all we have to make a value judgement. And a value judgement it most certainly is as there are no scientific studies carried out on this subject to say anything more.

I completely disagree. It has been decades since I did any worthwhile probability calculations but I assure that number is well above 50%. Each time I eat out it is 1%. If I eat out randomly a 100 times that is a very high probability. Wish someone here could do the math which I have long forgotten.
Not 50%, its 100% that you will get one bad guy if you eat out a hundred times. And thats a minimum.

If you eat out 50 times, then your chances are 50% of getting one bad guy.

If you eat out 10 times your chances are 10%.

If you eat out 0 times then your chances are ZERO.

Which figure are you comfortable with ?

Look, panni puri is too damn good to miss out on. You can make it a home but how close do you come to the taste you get on the street. If you can beat it then that would be best. How long's it take to make btw ? There has to be some sort of USP for these guys on the street to make their living.

I would be comfortable with anywhere from 0 - 30 times. Twice or even three times a month is safe.

This is known as contrarian thinking, challenging the 'conventional wisdom'. Knowing when you can break rules and still get away with it.

Anyone is welcome to check those numbers but i think i've got it right. Tried to explain it as simple as possible.

Yeah but on the other hand, if one of your guys is the lota wallah then you've got big problems and you don't even know it.
Right, but the chances of that are 1 in a hundred. Because just one guy does not necessarily mean every one does it. This is known as a generalisation and is frowned upon.

You would have to be pretty damn unlucky to get the lota wallah. This is the point of my posts that the chances are a great deal lower than you might think they are.

Yet it is the same fear that helps to preserve us. Our life-saver in danger. Many a fearless man is so because he is ignorant. Think about it.
I am, but i'm trying to put numbers to that to bring it out into perspective. Life is all about risks and managing them. The more experienced you get you think less in terms of black & white, good & bad and more about grey and increasing your chances of winning over losing.

The kids know the rules the experienced ones know the exceptions.

I confess I am completely ignorant about the subject so no comments.
After you mentioned it i realised this was a organic vs non-organic foods argument. Well, if anyone wants to have a go with that one consider me ready.

We had a organic food section in my supermarket a while back, it lasted for a few months and then dissapeared. Why ? because it was not viable economically.

This obsession (and it is an obsession) is viable for liberal western elites. They have the money and can afford to do so. Over here it isn't workable, unless you grow your own food. How many of us do that ?

@Daddycool: Check out today’s DNA it shows a pic of the girl who took the video making a police complaint against a BJP politico who made derogatory remarks against her. The MNS went after the hawkers looks like the BJP (partner to SS in Maharashtra) is ‘against’ her. What a sad state of affairs. :ishock:

Poor chap see he once again proves all my points. According to him my long post is proof at the lengths I have gone to ‘save face’ but has forgotten the length of his own posts :rofl: what more needs to be said.
That you keep on replying shows me i hit the mark with my earlier posts. Keep digging 🙂

Later says that replying is counterproductive for him to reply but has with post #65 & proved to what lengths he goes to prove to ALL that he says is right EVERYTIME but has forgotten what he has read in past posts. Post #58 has got another pathetic bleat in reply.
To engage with you would be like shooting fish in a barrel, not a challenge at all. You've not distinguished yourself in any way to earn my respect quite the contrary.

It's interesting you think i try to prove i'm right. It isn't always necessary to do that, in fact its very difficult, all thats required is a convincing narrative. I do work at that in the interest ppl can spot the errors.

@anant.del: In post #65 he proves his ignorance by referring to ‘big inverted bottles of water’, he does not even know what it’s called & this is the level of knowledge we are dealing with here.
Not important. Don't have any need for them.

Then gets down to media bashing shows a clearly that he cannot separate the facts from the hype the media uses so he generalizes & paints the entire media black but criticizes you & others of doing the same what hypocrisy.
Yes, because your links were irrelevant.

@Daddycool: He asks you if you have seen the pic in this thread, of the plastic covers on the hands (NOT GLOVES as mentioned) & plastic headgear.
'plastic cover' isn't a proper term its a BAG. Always amuses me when i hear it. ok, i was generous with the term gloves but thats better than nothing isn't it.

Again proves controrary to his claim of knowing about this incident does not know that it was given to them by a local NGO. How long are these things used?? Haven’t we seen similar pictures in the past in Mumbai what happened after the picture was taken? :rofl:
So you're implying the moment the heat dies down then it goes back to no headgear & handwear ?

Then the NGO is working to counter negative generalising perceptions, full marks to them. You're still generalising based on a photo. Not that i'm knocking the person that took it. Would certainly welcome more like that, we live in a country where its essential we do that if we are to live in a better one tomorrow.

Later actually admits that he taking the easy way out of what you asked him. Lol
Like anant.del said I don’t want to write another essay here but I think enough has been said to prove that somebody probably does have a medical problem.:blink2:
Are you a doctor ?

All this from someone that joined the board yesterday. Suggest you save your energy for later or when you see me making real mistakes. You can go all in then. Oh and last but not least, try not to go personal because its a dead giveaway of someone that does not have an argument left in them 😉