Suggestion: bandwidth tracker in the CPE for each user

• Thread starter Thread starter elepton
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 10,014
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think mg bother his device because addition of feature will create little bit problem. I mean it may delay or he has to provide another separate device for required customer. I think hostel and such building where multiple users are there to access limited internet. First of all, landlord or hostel authority will not be agree with limited usage tariff. They agree only with prepaid. I think they can set up authentication system to access internet like relicance webpage system. Some switches or such types of devices are available in the market like watchguard(from which my college system is secured for internet access). So, authority can provide id pw to each user to limit their usage. Even sometimes mac binding is also possible but there may be chances of getting mac snoofed.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

This is not a big issue to handle of being authorities to set up secure connection.

I do not think mg bother his device because addition of feature will create little bit problem. I mean it may delay or he has to provide another separate device for required customer. I think hostel and such building where multiple users are there to access limited internet. First of all, landlord or hostel authority will not be agree with limited usage tariff. They agree only with prepaid. I think they can set up authentication system to access internet like relicance webpage system. Some switches or such types of devices are available in the market like watchguard(from which my college system is secured for internet access). So, authority can provide id pw to each user to limit their usage. Even sometimes mac binding is also possible but there may be chances of getting mac snoofed.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

This is not a big issue to handle of being authorities to set up secure connection.

No, we would not add this feature to our CPEs. As I have mentioned, there are already turnkey solutions which would work quite fine with our existing authentication and accounting mechanisms to suit this type of situation perfectly. No point in reinventing the wheel.

No, we would not add this feature to our CPEs. As I have mentioned, there are already turnkey solutions which would work quite fine with our existing authentication and accounting mechanisms to suit this type of situation perfectly. No point in reinventing the wheel.
Yeah but as you said, it will require id proof of every user. It is like a new connection under same CPE.

Yeah but as you said, it will require id proof of every user. It is like a new connection under same CPE.

Unfortunately that's a legal issue, not a technological one.

Cool. I hope to see hostels and communities sharing a 100Mbit/s pipe peacefully soon. 🙂

righto. would make internet just like cable tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.