Airtel violates net neutrality again with its broadband TV

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 5,812
Guys chill.

Matt, don't bother with these kiddies. There are people who still have faith in you.

Heh. It's not me he's angry at (I don't think), it's Airtel - I just can't figure out why or what for. Some people just need to "have a bitch" now and then - including myself 🙂

mgcarly the problem is that i am on a 512k plan.If i had a 2,4mbps plan and my speed were throttled,i would go gung ho on airtel.There are soo many users @ 4mbps plans who have as you said just bitchin and not filed a suit.Maybe in the comming months i would take a 4mbps plan for 1 month but the problem is that i am on a retention plan where i get 512k for 10gb with call rate 1p per second and 1.2p for std @ rs649 and i am afraid i wont be allowed to revert to this plan.Only admin can do something but he is busy selling his privacy by clicking pics from his google nexus phone where each pic has a gps coordinate.also consumer protection act trumps airtel TOS.They dont even have a TOS in thier site.

mgcarly the problem is that i am on a 512k plan.If i had a 2,4mbps plan and my speed were throttled,i would go gung ho on airtel.There are soo many users @ 4mbps plans who have as you said just bitchin and not filed a suit.Maybe in the comming months i would take a 4mbps plan for 1 month but the problem is that i am on a retention plan where i get 512k for 10gb with call rate 1p per second and 1.2p for std @ rs649 and i am afraid i wont be allowed to revert to this plan.

Only admin can do something but he is busy selling his privacy by clicking pics from his google nexus phone where each pic has a gps coordinate.

also consumer protection act trumps airtel TOS.They dont even have a TOS in thier site.

They do somewhere - I had a read of it not long ago. You also signed some paperwork when you took their connection. And CGA does not supercede contract law - it states that in the first few paragraphs of the act.

But you're missing the point - if you were on a 2 or 4 mbit/s plan, you would still have no warrant to gripe about P2P being slow, because they are not throttling your connection speed between your residence and the ISP node, which is what they are offering. As I said, they are offering you a speed up to the ISP node, not to the Internet.

Unfortunately for the consumer, these are very different things. In reality, the maximum Airtel can promise you (assuming their contention ratio is still 1:17) is around 60 kilobits to the real Internet for every megabit they sell you - as you well know, they rely on people NOT saturating the pipes in order to deliver near the promised speeds, but assuming Airtel has about 1 million customers and 100gbit/s of network traffic to the rest of the Internet (actual numbers are up to double of either of those figures, according to my sources), if everyone were using the pipes at the same time everyone would get speeds of barely 100kbits per second - but of course, I'm also not counting all the GPRS/3G users and corporate/leased users... it's a hell of a balancing act.