One Laptop per Child Program Updates

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Thailand announces their plans for the “One Laptop per Child”
The Thai government has just revealed details on their plans for the US based ambitious “One Laptop per Child” program.
Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced this scheme, which plans to provide low-cost laptop computers to all of Thailand’s millions of elementary school students.
The program is due to [...]

https://techwhack.co/4237/thailand-on...ptop-per-child/

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
I'm curious to know why this program failed to be accepted in this country. Cost is an obvious factor, but i woudl have thought good old Indian cost cutting effectivenss would have take care of it.I vaguely recall some intl. politics being in involved, in the sense ppl here opposed how much they would have to pay to Negroponte (in addtion) to just the laptop.

LoneCrusader

Regular
Regulars
May 8, 2006
They could never enforce "One Child Per Couple" agenda.....leave alone the "One Laptop Per Child" Scheme....

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Heh, that reminds me of a story about one of my cousins (who's a dad of 2 kids now) when he was a child in the cinema with his family of 3 other siblings and....the ad about 1 or was it 2 kids/family comes on...and he blurts out loudly Mummy what are we going to do we are already 4 !!!I was thinking 1 laptop/child is extravagant but 1 per house...hmmnot the same but much better.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
QUOTE(LoneCrusader @ Aug 14 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]58471[/snapback]
They could never enforce "One Child Per Couple" agenda.....leave alone the "One Laptop Per Child" Scheme....
[/b]

true dude.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Rwanda joins the One Laptop Per Child initiative
Rwanda has now become the eighth developing country to join the One Laptop Per Child initiative. This program is aimed at providing cheap computing devices to students to promote education and learning.
OLPC said in a statement that they would provide Rwanda with initial test laptops and technical support [...]

https://techwhack.co/4957/rwanda-joins/

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
One Laptop Per Child to start mass production of the USD 100 laptop from third quarter this year
One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) organizers have said that they aim to start the mass production of their USD 100 laptop from the third quarter of this year.
This laptop would be sold at around USD 150 in the [...]

https://techwhack.co/4961/mass-produc...usd-100-laptop/

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
One Laptop Per Child facing Patent Lawsuit One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Association has been sued by a company based in Massachusetts which is claiming that their Laptop is infringing on their patented technology. Lagos Analysis Corp. is claiming that they own a patent for a four shift-key keyboard in Nigeria where the laptop is being provided [...]

One Laptop Per Child facing Patent Lawsuit

gregory house

philosopher-in-chief
Regulars
Aug 10, 2007
Maybe the company would like to provide a royalty-free license to OLPC under its 'Corporate Social Responsibility' program. Of course, if it is not a socially responsible corporation.......