Internet shutdowns in India

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 213
  • Views Views 39,415

The state Government has shut down internet in Manipur due to the recent events. I do not wish to talk about the politics behind the conflict or on internet shutdowns. That can be discussed on a different thread, I want to know the technical side of this., in the case of Manipur the order states that even wired broadband services are also suspended.

Fyq-B2wn-WIAAGGZ0-753x1024.jpg

This part is particularly concerning because in 2020 and 2021 only mobile data services were shut down in parts of Delhi. In Manipur they are blocking all connections it looks like. What about business connections? Are these blocked too? I know many small businesses and offices which use regular residential broadband.

I'm also interested in how the 'blocking' works. Are other people on same ISP accessible? For example, if you are on Airtel, can you ping other Airtel users? Shouldn't Government websites and services be accessible?

The only way I can think of to 'bypass' such blocks is using satellite internet registered abroad. But I think satellite providers block users accessing from outside the registered country.

Last edited:
It is possible to enable regional block by simply dropping all packets.

Most Broadband has a centralized BNG that can be configured along with any additional equipment that concerns mobile network services.

Since ILL is somewhat exempted (anyway they bypass the BNG and are directly connected to the backbone), simply shutting ports off is easy.

Or simply powering down the OLTs and BNGs 😛 easier than add firewall rules to drop traffic

powering down the OLT will make cause LOS on ONTs. ISPs avoid that.