BSNL 3G: Help me choose please!! Huawei k4505 Or UMG 1831

• Thread starter Thread starter ananyakalia5
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 14,200

ananyakalia5

ISP
Reliance NetConnect
hi to alli have a configuration ofIntel core i54 Gb DDR3500 Gb Hdd + 250 GbWindows Xp ProAs i am a heavy downloader so i have to download heavy files like movies games softwares etc.i have heard that UMG 1831 gets heated up quite early and disconnects frequently.. i am planning to buy k4505 but still i want suggestions from the EXPERTS :smile:and one more questionif i buy a modem from vodafone store. is it easy to unlock it?and if notthen from where should i buy so that it is genuine payment and no possibility of a defected piece?wating for your responsesBudget not the problem

I don't know, who is spreading these kind of information like umg1831 is getting disconnected after getting hot! I've used several times nonstop between Friday 7pm to Monday 8am. Never had disconnection issue though it's getting heated little more than other 7.2mbps modems. Sent from my Desire HD

I cant comment on K4505, since i've not used it. But definitely i can recommend UMG1831 as i've used/using heavily. My other modem is K3765 which is 7.2Mbps modem and gets lesser heat that 1831. Now im using 1831 with wireless router and my usage is like this, weekdays - 7PM to 9AM and weekend - friday 7PM to monday 8AM/9AM. I always switch on the wireless router whenever im in home, since my phone requires wifi, always-on data connection.

BTW already there is thread on same topic 🙂 https://broadband.forum/bsnl-3g/63942-bsnl-3g-suggest-me-huawei/

I cant comment on K4505, since i've not used it. But definitely i can recommend UMG1831 as i've used/using heavily. My other modem is K3765 which is 7.2Mbps modem and gets lesser heat that 1831. Now im using 1831 with wireless router and my usage is like this, weekdays - 7PM to 9AM and weekend - friday 7PM to monday 8AM/9AM. I always switch on the wireless router whenever im in home, since my phone requires wifi, always-on data connection.

BTW already there is thread on same topic 🙂 https://broadband.forum/bsnl-3g/63942-bsnl-3g-suggest-me-huawei/

cnt get the comments on the k4505 in this thread

UMG 1831 is a good modem. 21.6Mbps Download and 5.76Mbps Upload speed. Firmware version 11.826.03.01.420 is stable one. Updated FW 11.831.05.01.420 creates problem for most of the members. Now they want to revert back the FW. You might have read in other threads.

So, UMG 1831 with 11.826.03.01.420 is a good choice. Avoid updated version.And never update with firmware of K4505 in UMG 1831.

K4505 is 21.6Mbps card upgraded with latest FW to 28.8Mbps, which I am using for the past three months without any glitches.

21Mbps cards will show little higher heat level, when compared with 7.2Mbps cards but these two cards never had any overheating problem to my knowledge.

In a day or two, I may post my K4505 cards review in this forum, ( which have already been posted in other forums ).

The price of UMG1831 is 2800 and K4505 is 3450 ( Previously I bought for 4500). K4505 is available with .....

3G Modem Store- Buy 3G Modems in India-Buy 3G Datacards in inida-USB 3G Modem-EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS

He is a reliable seller.

recently bought the k4505... expecting tmrw.... can any user guide how to upgrade it to 28.8 mbps ??

recently bought the k4505... expecting tmrw.... can any user guide how to upgrade it to 28.8 mbps ??

Mostly the seller himself will upgrade before shipping the card. If not, download from here my ( uploaded ) file.....

K4505Update_11.860.02.04.11.B446.exe

Caution: While updating / upgrading Firmware, be cautious, to keep the power to the system uninterrupted.

Ramli thanks for posting the firmware update, i am still using the original firmware that my modem came with, does this new firmware helps in anything apart increasing the download speeds to 28.8 Mbps. As i have my modem hooked to the router and its working fine, have not faced any issues.

@Dushie

Other than 28.8Mbps enhancement, no differences noticed.

Any result for UMG 1831 FW reversion ?

rcvd the k4505 today.... initial impression its a beauty,,,, upgraded to 28 mbps// thnx to ramil.... 🙂 /// running with relnc 3g.... only con heats too much... but i blv its due to the sigbal strngh... at my place its -99 dbm avg..

only con heats too much... but i blv its due to the sigbal strngh... at my place its -99 dbm avg..

I have already bench marked this card. For prolonged use at high speed, it reached a peak of 63*C and not beyond that.

These kind of cards are allowed to reach a temperature of 76*C.

Moreover when the signal is weak, the card will draw more power to communicate efficiently with the towers.

( Thanks to the technical staff of modem company ).

yes i also blv so.... mailed mr.joseph..he also reported same.... hav u tried ussd in k4505?? mine dsnt wrk.. though wrks with mdma

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

i found the latest f/w of k4505/... K4505 Firmware Update - Vodafone Download

can u confirm it..

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

took the plunge .. and updated the f/w... running silky smooth...

yea, no issues with the new firmware too, only problem with my modem is that i need to use the USB switch option for it to get detected when connected to PC, as my k4505 came with mobile partner, but modem does not get detected until i use the USB swtich utility. Not worried much about it as i have it running most of the time with router, where there are no issues.