Airtel IPTV new Set top box

• Thread starter Thread starter sam.bagga
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 31,481
Status
Not open for further replies.
ah well. i cannot really blame him. airtel has way too many products and services. but it is disappointing that i was assigned a guy who was not well informed about the product i originally inquired about. 🙂

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

another call. another confusing response.

this time i was told that this is pretty much the same model with black colored design. and something else. like it has nothing new to offer and so on.

i tried explaining that the feature set of this new box is much better than the previous model. no use.

gave up...

airtel website clearly states the features of the two set top boxes...

old one:
Supports H.264 SDTV in the standard configuration, and multiple streaming media such as H.264 HDTV , MPEG2/4, WMV9 and VC1 in optional configurations which helps you explore with all technological modes.
Supports live TV service.
Supports TV on Demand service providing a personalized viewing experience.
Supports Time-Shift-TV to give a unique experience in watching TV.
Supports Video on Demand service.
Value-added services such as interactive message
User-friendly Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for easy viewing.
IR remote control to give you a better mobile experience.

new one:
Supports Time-Shift-TV, Live TV, TV on Demand (TVoD), real movies on demand
Supports Value Added Service (VAS) such as interactive message.
Supports Value Added Service Platform, such as JVM.
Supports Standard Definition TV (SDTV).
Supports H.264 multiple streaming media.
Supports audio formats such as MP2
Supports composite video output, S-Video output or component video output.
Support configurable High Definition (HD) output resolution (720P, 1080i, 1080P).
Supports Macrov ision
Supports DRM protection.
Provides one 10/100Mbps adaptive Ethernet interface.
Support USB2.0 (High Speed)
Provides one IR remote control.
User-friendly Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

LOL, once airtel CC was supposed to be best.. now even it has come at par with others!

had told you the same. it is very hard to get responses to very simple queries. this was a simple question. they have a new STB for IPTV customers. i want to get it. and from my conversation with their support team, they simply do not get it.

Well it would be better if you can communicate directly with some local technician who installs IPTV, these days they seem to know more than the ones sitting at call centers(they have a script to read na)

@sushubh does the new box have better s/w, EPG?Did you get it? how much does it cost to upgrade, any idea?

Hey Guys,I have this MC1088Li set top box. It doesn't have HDMI port. It has USB port but it is used only for firmware/software update it seems. Backside of the set top box has a/v output, s video and LAN port..

haha.

just got a call back from their team.

had another funny conversation.

i was told that this STB is not for IPTV at all. it is for DTH services.

i was like WTF.

i checked it manually myself. it is definitely for IPTV.

he got confused because the page talks about HDMI port and HD. he said that HD is only supported by their DTH platform.

god.

i told him to open airtel.in. then click on digital tv section. then click on iptv section. and then click on the stb section. and bang, the same link with the new black stb opens up.

he then got confused saying iptv is not a part of their digital tv service which is related to dth. i explained to him... iptv was earlier sold as digital tv interactive. you just renamed it to iptv. and on your site itself. iptv is not sold through the broadband section. it is clearly in front of you as part of the digital tv service.

told him to check with their technical department once again. considering this page is live on their website. either someone uploaded the details of this new STB by mistake. blah. he would call me back again after checking it again.

another call. another confusing response.

this time i was told that this is pretty much the same model with black colored design. and something else. like it has nothing new to offer and so on.

i tried explaining that the feature set of this new box is much better than the previous model. no use.

gave up...

If the video quality remains the same, there's no point in upgrading to this new box AFAIAC. Was hoping to watch the WC 2011 in better quality than the current crappy one.

had another talk with the airtel presence team. the guy said that this black colored box was launched eight months ago. they have just updated the images on the website. so customers who bought it in the recent months got this new box. he could not tell me anything about the processor or ram specifications. he just said that the features are same. just the box color has changed. if i want the new box i would have to pay the complete price 1750 for it. no exchange. he added that it would be senseless to go for this new box as it has nothing new to offer to me. i guess i would stick with the current box till they launch something better 😕

ya it is better to stick with the old box but it does seem to be getting worse with Timeshift,it loses audio and hangs a lot these days

ah well. my connection sucks at the current moment. remote has gone totally unresponsive. channel change after the recent update is slower because it tries to load the info box after every channel change. i mean if i am to go from channel 100 to 110... it can take as long as 2 minutes with a wrestling match with the remote!

@admin that's a bummer. Sure would have been nice to watch the world cup with new features. Airtel need to improve the video quality of IPTV. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.