• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 31,486
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam.bagga

ISP
Airtel IPTV
I just noticed on the new website of Airtel IPTV that an all new set top box is being provided.
mc108li(black)
The feature list is very long and includes USB,HDMI and other stuff.
Link: airtel ipTV
The universal remote is also now listed as the default one
Can someone please tell me how is the new set top box?
Does it have any new features from the existing one and can our current ones be replaced for the new black ones(looks bigger and better).
Please advise me on the procedure too as these Airtel guys these days take weeks to perform any action.Took me 1 month to get my plan changed.

nice. i just sent them an email asking if it is possible for existing customers to get the new set top box (for a fee).

Is there a FUP on IPTV?......like frames dropping low when you watch a lot of movies....lol...no seriously...i can't trust these guys...

got a call early morning. they are going to see what they can do for the existing customers. last time i asked them for the new black remote, it took them like a month to get it for me. i paid 200 bucks for it. they basically kept on asking the same question. if your current remote is working fine, why do you want a new one 😕 i said i want it and i am ready to pay for it. what's the big deal. 😀 so i clarified in my mail multiple times. i am ready to pay for it. just tell me the details.

any updates on IPTV in chennai!!!

Were Airtel folks able to confirm if the new set top box has HDMI port and if its HD ready ?

the page states it clearly. it has HDMI connectivity. but the broadcast is only SD right now. i am just hoping that the new STB is more powerful and can provide a smoother experience. i do not have a HD television set, so that does not matter to me much. i am more interested in other features like USB support. of course, they are not allowing a full capability media playing... that sucks. i mean airtel can easily provide a cheaper alternative to devices like WD HD TV player.

Just having HDMI port would not help I guess. I have Airtel Digital Recorder (DTH) box which has HDMI port but the box does not support High Definition transmission...which I still do not understand why? If you want HD, you need to buy a seperate box and which does not support recording. Maybe this way, Airtel wants to make sure, they can keep on selling set top boxes.

dude. they are upgrading their equipment. looks like a progressive step. once they have enough units out there, they should be able to offer HD broadcast widely.

the quality of broadcast on IPTV is not very good. but if their network is capable of HD quality broadcast, it would not hurt them to have a ready base of customers with HD capable STBs?

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

you have to look at it this way. they are not asking people to upgrade to this box. they are probably just provide the newer STB to newer customers. it changes pretty much nothing. except for the fact that the new STB has more features and could be HD ready whenever airtel is ready to offer HD on IPTV>

hey admin! dont offer them money for new one directly.. otherwise when in future they come up with HD..they will think if customer is ready to pay then why give upgrades for free?!

What are you expecting? airtel to upgrade everyone's STB to HD compatible for free? Seriously? Since when did companies started doing it here in India?

No i am not saying that they will.. what I am saying is... first ask them if they will provide it... dont ask them abt money on ur own... let them ask for it.you always get many benefits from airtel..so u never know! 😛

ah well. i understand what you are trying to say here. but the point remains. i no longer expect them to be reasonable. I do not expect them to provide me with special favors. I only try to get solutions to my problems and I want the solutions fast. So, I provide the best possible alternatives for them to respond to me and even that does not work out well.

Instead of waiting for 2 days to get them to tell me that free replacements would not be offered... I made it clear that I am ready to pay for it if they cannot provide it for free. Even then, I am pretty sure that it would take them like 10 days to find a solution to my problem.

Had a similar experience in the past. It took them around 10 days i believe and at least around 15 calls to just provide me with a new remote!

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

need to mention something here. i might have done what you are suggesting here maybe 2 years back. but things have changed massively since then.

airtel now charges for god knows a lot of stuff that used to be free before... modems, handsets, connection transfer from one place to another, customer care calls! and so on.

their customer care has become literally a piece of shit. things are so bad that it is a miracle if people get resolutions to their problems 'at all'.

i have been pretty lucky in that aspect. whenever i send a mail to airtel presence, i do get a call back and eventually, they end up providing me a solution or a useful response (sometimes after a couple of attempts).

this latest query is similar. i am stuck with their broadband and iptv services. i do not really want to shift to something else. i am interested in getting the new STB hoping that it would provide some improvements in performance though the product description page does not mention anything about processor/ram capabilities.

and i had like to know what options do i have as an existing customer. so that others can find out what they would have to do to get their STBs replaced in case they so desire! 😀

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

haha.

just got a call back from their team.

had another funny conversation.

i was told that this STB is not for IPTV at all. it is for DTH services.

i was like WTF.

i checked it manually myself. it is definitely for IPTV.

he got confused because the page talks about HDMI port and HD. he said that HD is only supported by their DTH platform.

god.

i told him to open airtel.in. then click on digital tv section. then click on iptv section. and then click on the stb section. and bang, the same link with the new black stb opens up.

he then got confused saying iptv is not a part of their digital tv service which is related to dth. i explained to him... iptv was earlier sold as digital tv interactive. you just renamed it to iptv. and on your site itself. iptv is not sold through the broadband section. it is clearly in front of you as part of the digital tv service.

told him to check with their technical department once again. considering this page is live on their website. either someone uploaded the details of this new STB by mistake. blah. he would call me back again after checking it again.

i was assuming that i would not get a quick response/resolution. but this was sort of unexpected. 😀

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

also sort of afraid that this process might mess up my perfectly fine broadband+iptv connection 🙁

l.

i told him to open airtel.in. then click on digital tv section. then click on iptv section. and then click on the stb section. and bang, the same link with the new black stb opens up.

he then got confused saying iptv is not a part of their digital tv service which is related to dth. i explained to him... iptv was earlier sold as digital tv interactive. you just renamed it to iptv. and on your site itself. iptv is not sold through the broadband section. it is clearly in front of you as part of the digital tv service.

told him to check with their technical department once again. considering this page is live on their website. either someone uploaded the details of this new STB by mistake. blah. he would call me back again after checking it again.

(

I think you should swap your position with him. You seem to be better informed 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.