Pay as you go (data plans) and flattening data-plan tariffs on Hayai Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 10,912
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because there are people like me who'd greatly underutilize a flat-rate plan for the most part of a year. But I'd also like to know that I have unlimited data if I ever need it suddenly.

We can theoretically change plans at an hours notice, but if you have a sudden need for extra bandwidth, you have the option of either changing plans or upping your billing cap.

What I meant was basically a flat-rate plan but you don't pay the full amount unless you conusme data worth atleast as much as the cost of the plan.

That's pretty much what these new data-plans would be like already. If you have a sudden need for 500+GB of data then that probably exceeds what might be deemed as appropriate for the lowest flat-rate plan, so if such a need does arise then one way or the other you'll be committing to relatively similar bill sizes anyway.

Unless you're counting on the fact that some people will underutilize their connection and end up paying more that they've cost you, so on average including "abusers" you're still profitable.

Yes and no. We do expect that until our bandwidth prices come down to a certain level that at least the lower flat-rate plans will only break-even or perhaps even be somewhat unprofitable (but this does give us the excuse to buy more and more bandwidth so that we would only be paying a fraction of what our existing rates are - the more we commit to, the cheaper it becomes).

This would simply be an additional option if they want a connection where they can keep downloading past the maximum bill cap.

As mentioned, the bill cap can be adjusted or the plan changed online, which should come in to effect within a matter of an hour or so.

As mentioned, the bill cap can be adjusted or the plan changed online, which should come in to effect within a matter of an hour or so.
This solves everything if it's done online.

If it were up to me, I'd launch tomorrow.

Previously I was aiming for a Holi launch but even now that feels a little unrealistic due to the circumstances... and since I have to be in NZ in the first week of April, perhaps it will be about that time instead.

Heh. No. I can already get the price I need, it's just unofficial (verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on and all that).

And this april date holds water right? xD

And this april date holds water right? xD

It's a guess, at best. As I've mentioned countless times, the reason I'm not in India at this very moment is not within my control.

Well, it's not that we blame you or anything it's just that we hate the current situation we're all in (it's another thing that we almost completely despise what we're going through thanks to the most trustworthy pain in the you know what ISPs of india!!) it's just that most probably we will not survive this for long as Airtel now does not entertain any calls regarding FUP and how the speed is reduced even though you didn't download or use as much... they state it's the TRAI guidelines that state it as a thumb rule *WTF??*It's just that as our demand grows in the months to come so does the impatience and so does the hopelessness factor at which point it makes no difference whether or not airtel or any other ISP for that matter gives a rats ass about the what the customers want and we know where that's gonna go *the current contention ratio is 1:50 I'm guessing it wont be for long as the amount of subscribers is rapidly increasing *in Bangalore at least* and when that particular spike happens TRAI will eat bananas whilst the ISPs run amok again with their haphazard pricing and cunning endeavor of plans which they will have a rediscovered motto "customers! gotta catch 'em all"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... we'll just bend over and take it like a pack of hungry/starving wolves because obviously we all love, love, love the internet service providers that we've come to know over the decade... 🙂 and as a reward you get to hear golden words from the opposite end of the receiver "I'm Sorry sir, It's as per the TRAI guidelines..."but in reality what they're saying is "take it or leave it chump, because we know you have no other choice, eh pumpkin? 🙂" or so says the golden lying pants at the other end of the phone...that is until Hayai comes in like the knight in white shining armor riding the blazing-fiber horse... which I dearly await with all my heart!! just hurry though or we'll be dead of starvation T_T Oh great savior T_T

Well, it was because of the pain of Indian ISPs that I even considered starting this in the first place. FTR, contention is a really shit way to measure anything and it's irrelevent without context - if everyone only took a data plan from us of 20GB a month, we'd have a contention ratio of no less than 1:15000 in any given area. Yes. Fifteen Thousand - and that's not even at the international/peering level.But you'd still get "line rate" almost all the time. The regulations are such that since we're offering "uncapped speed", it's entirely up to the network utilization levels at that particular time that will determine the speed you get. It might be 10, it might be 100 but because data plans are not being advertised as any particular speed (only "up to 100mbit/s) there's really nothing to adhere to, so long as it stays above 256k (soon 512k) and is "always on". Considering how we're building the network, we can blast even a 2mbit/s minimum out of the water (Don't worry - it should be at least 70mbit/s within the network most of the time).

Well, it was because of the pain of Indian ISPs that I even considered starting this in the first place.

FTR, contention is a really shit way to measure anything and it's irrelevent without context - if everyone only took a data plan from us of 20GB a month, we'd have a contention ratio of no less than 1:15000 in any given area. Yes. Fifteen Thousand - and that's not even at the international/peering level.

But you'd still get "line rate" almost all the time. The regulations are such that since we're offering "uncapped speed", it's entirely up to the network utilization levels at that particular time that will determine the speed you get. It might be 10, it might be 100 but because data plans are not being advertised as any particular speed (only "up to 100mbit/s) there's really nothing to adhere to, so long as it stays above 256k (soon 512k) and is "always on". Considering how we're building the network, we can blast even a 2mbit/s minimum out of the water (Don't worry - it should be at least 70mbit/s within the network most of the time).

It'll be a blow to the local ISPs if that's the case 🙂 at which point they'll go influential on hayai if they haven't heard of it and done so already lol... hope not though.

(Don't worry - it should be at least 70mbit/s within the network most of the time).
what does within the network means? LAN/WAN? or normal Internet download?

what does within the network means? LAN/WAN? or normal Internet download?

It means what it sounds like - within the network = within Hayai's network. To the outside world we can only guess because, excepting our ability to purchase more bandwidth and/or peering and/or caching to satisfy demand, once outside our network, the speeds and pings are not within our control.

Status
Not open for further replies.