• Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 47,999
Status
Not open for further replies.

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
My primary phone is an Airtel. I had a lifetime reliance sim lying around the house in a spare phone. Been eagerly awaiting Airtel's 3G launch, but could wait no more. Popped the reliance into my E71 and carried my Airtel along in the spare phone.

Called customer care. Inquired about plans and opted for the 100MB monthly plan. Adequate data limit for mobile usage (My itemized bill for Airtel with unlimited GPRS shows an average usage of 125 MB each month). Covers 24/7 push mail and nimbuzz connectivity and the frequent twitter/facebook checks in a day and the occasional google maps usage.

Was told to send a "MBB100" sms to a no. to activate the plan and "ALL" as a sms to another no. to get the settings. Received sms confirmation within minutes that the plan was active. However the sms for settings replied that my handset was not supported.

Then I experienced the legendary nightmares of the reliance customer care. Upon calling for the settings I was informed that settings can only be received in areas with 3G network coverage. According to them 3G areas were only Mira Road, Bhayander etc . . basically suburbs over 40kms away from mumbai and the Colaba area where I lived has no coverage. A heated argument over lack of adequate communication about areas with 3G coverage and refunds etc made the understand the essence of the saying "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Gave up then.

Then it struck me to google around and landed up on the reliance com 3G website which had the settings which I could enter manually. Used rcomnet APN and viola. . . .I was cruising at 3G speeds. . . at colaba and across areas in south mumbai. Customer care had informed me that there was no 3G coverage in south mumbai at all. It seems they are located on some distant island populated with a moronic tribe and cutoff with the companys operational details. (am not generally this harsh but the call was realllly frustrating).

Finally getting down the actual usage . . Well speeds on my phone were kickass. . . phone displayed 3.5G now instead of the usual Edege logo. Youtube streamed without a hitch . . mundutv on 3G quality was clear, could read the scrip name and prices on CNBC channel ticker now (earlier not legible on gprs quality). Video calls aren't supported yet. Even if they were couldn't try as don't know another soul on 3G yet. Got rid of nimbuzz, and got frings. Gotta yet test how video conferencing with msn etc users works. Used the active connection manager application on the phone and noted that under heavy usage such as youtube streams etc the download speeds would range between 75-95kbps. That equates to appx 768kbps to 1mbps speeds. Was fairly impressed that my phone now had speeds comparable to my mtnl dsl.

And finally connected the E71 to my pc. Used the phone as a modem for the 1st time. Works like a charm. No drivers software required. Its all automated. Since I have a 100MB limited didn't browse or download during my short session. Just checked speeds on speedtest and disconnected. Was totally surprised at the speeds I got. I had three runs and they were between 2.5-3 MB/s. I have posted my best run below.

This was my first day. Will update the overall service level and consistency after a more thorough usage over the month.

Seems like a great product . . . completely let down by inadequate marketing yet and absolutely abysmal customer support.

https://www.speedtest.net

UPDATE: I have chucked my reliance sim in the bin. Don't think will experiment will reliance products in the foreseeable future!well basically had opted for the 100MB plan for 100 bucks rental. Was informed that its an auto renewal plan. Was under the impression that auto renewal means that i don't need to activate the pack each month. . . its continues. Been using the phone to try out different apps from the ovi store and I guess I exhausted my limit pretty soon. Didn't really keep track of it as I expected the connection to go off once limit was breached. Noticed that my balance had suddenly dropped without any phone calls. Checked the data counter and it showed 123.5MB usage. Well ok i guess then that they charge for the additional download . . called CC to deactivate plan. 1st time i called CC said plan cannot be deactivated!!!However balance kept depreciating in absence of usage. Something to do with the auto renewal nature of the package. CC said that the plan could not be deactivated. Am like are you @$@!&*(& kidding me? End of the day balance was down to nil. Could not even call CC (now 50p for 3 mins right). Called 198. Kept the phone' recorder on. Have a recording of the rep telling me that reliance apparently has no system to deactivate 3G services. The software has no option to deactivate the service as of now. You can opt in but apparently cant opt out. So if i recharge now i expect the balance to keep diminishing and nothing can be done about it!Well was a spare no. so doesn't really hurt me. However will have to go through the ordeal of getting a new card where I will have to submit my documents several times over the next few months as it seems to be the general practice now. I can only imagine how bad it can be for someone using reliance as their primary no. God bless.!

Well what i understand from the above case is that you can renew your pack by sending MBB100 for 100mb at 100rs or MBB199 (for 250mb for Rs199) to 51111. As you know, it would deduct from your balance. Reliance launched 3g overnight lol. So even the CC doesnt have any clues what is going on. I dint get the part why you want to deactivate 3g? its better you dont use the service or wants to use gprs then recharge with gprs topup of 51 i thnk.I am facing a regular disconection problem with reliance 3g data card. It works fine with other network or reliance gprs. But 3 signals r weak all over the place.

reliance apparently has no system to deactivate 3G services. The software has no option to deactivate the service as of now. You can opt in but apparently cant opt out. So if i recharge now i expect the balance to keep diminishing and nothing can be done about it!
You gotta be kidding me! :rofl:

I have said this many times and I'll keep on saying it: Stay the **** away from Reliance.

"Mere papa ka sapna, sabka maal apna." 🙂

Reliance 3G launched in 5 more Punjab cities , they also added , in next 4 to 5 weeks , all B cites will cover. Reliance is very serious in Punjab i think , well one third population use 3G enabled handset

looks really good with the bars not even completely full. I guess no body nears reliance in terms of speed.

I think , Everybody has Good network in Place , but Reliance Backhul is best of all , fully IP and optical Fiber , through all major city and town, that the point , even in future if they come out with LTE , they will be best of all

I think , Everybody has Good network in Place , but Reliance Backhul is best of all , fully IP and optical Fiber , through all major city and town, that the point , even in future if they come out with LTE , they will be best of all

Completely agree !

using reliance 3G since past 3 days, awesome data speed on mobile, better than bsnl3G

voice is also superior to bsnl3G, i think they are using AMR based technology for superior voice

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

even signal is pretty low, speed will remain steady unless u use signal, but in less signal, mobile battery fuked up very fast , because mobile cpu has to workout very hard for transmitting and receiving the signal

Just realize that Anil's Reliance and Mukesh's Reliance products are different products from different companies. Anil's Reliance is doing 3G and has the existing fiber networks all over India, Mukesh's Reliance is doing LTE and has a lot of electricity networks all over India (which probably gives him automatic right of way to build his own fiber).

Whether they end up working together or not... we'll see.

the two dudes played a game on india. split an empire. probably doubled their total worth. would not have been possible if it was the same single parent company. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.