Reliance 3G package - tariff details!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 22,612
Status
Not open for further replies.
21GB for Rs.2100 at 21mbps is fine.But, it won't take much time to finish those 21GB.Suppose you have 3.6 mbps modem and if network coverage is good then,Download Speed = 400KB/s (3.2mbit/s) (assumed)Downloading time for 100MB = 256 seconds = 4 min 16 sec.Downloading time for 1 GB = 2560 seconds = 42 min 40 sec.So, downloading time for 21 GB = 53760 seconds = 896 mins. = 14 hr 56 mins. = less than a day Note : This speed is calculated for 3.6mbps modem.So, think at 21 mbps, it would take just 2 and half hours to finish those 21GB provided you have full fledged connectivity.

21GB for Rs.2100 at 21mbps is fine.
But, it won't take much time to finish those 21GB.

Yes, we can surely understand that at 21mbit/s, finishing 21GB is not a problem. But the point is that you're not going to be continually streaming data.

Once you get to this kind of speed, your usage gets more... bursty... rather than being a constant stream where you have to leave your computer on for 2, 3, 5, 9 hours to download a measly 1GB file.

It's fast, yes, but you're not supposed to be sitting there downloading a few BR rips and using up your cap in half a day - it's fast when you need it, so that when there are things you want to download, you can and things like the latest Skype or MSN updates (~20Mbytes each) will only take a minute or so, or if you do feel like downloading a movie (say a 1.4Gbyte rip), then you can download it in less time than it takes to watch it (around 10 minutes, in theory).

When you get a faster connection, it's usually as such that the connection will be basically idle for some 95-99% of the time, and then stupid measurements like contention ratios don't become an issue.

woo, So we can expect huge price till next year, wt about Reliance Infotel , will they share their 4G network with other 3G operator like what sprint did in USA by giving user access to clearwire wimax for data applications

woo, So we can expect huge price till next year,

Eh? People in most countries would KILL for prices like this. Rs100 (~US$2) for 100MB at the most basic level to Rs2100 for 21GB? That's a bloody good deal and I'm struggling to think of many places where you could get that much for that price, even in most of Europe, let alone the USA.

wt about Reliance Infotel , will they share their 4G network with other 3G operator like what sprint did in USA by giving user access to clearwire wimax for data applications

Unlikely. 3G & 4G are different services, requiring different hardware, though Reliance Infotel has gone for LTE instead of WiMax so 3G devices should theoretically work, but only at 3G speeds - whether they're *allowed* under the terms of the license to offer a service to which a 3G device can connect is a different story.

It may be such that only Reliance data-cards and any mobile handsets they import will be able to be used on that network, however it's entirely possible that licensed ISPs (such as Tikona, who have won some spectrum but not nationwide - or perhaps even Hayai) might be able to offer "4G" data-services on RIL's network.

won't they also kill for calling charges we have here? from as low as 1 paisa for 2 seconds? 🙂

^^ they would bloody hell kill the politicians for all the extra high prices we paying for other stuff too lol .Everyone complaining about prices would probably wont complain about these had the broadband scenario been better in India.

won't they also kill for calling charges we have here? from as low as 1 paisa for 2 seconds? 🙂

Yes and no - there's a point when it gets too low. If 1paisa/2sec is profitable enough and there isn't an increase in things like call drops and so forth, then yeah, excellent. But if quality goes down the toilet, then, especially in Europe/US/etc where consumers have pretty solid rights (by comparison to India), marginally higher rates are justified in order to prevent companies from litigation and fines.

I live in a country where warranties don't even technically apply: I can buy a computer with a 1-year warranty but if it craps out for no good reason after 18 months, I can exercise my right under the "consumer guarantees act" to have it fixed or replaced, considering that the "expected lifetime" is something like 3 years... I read today that according to the consumer organization which regulates these things, a PlayStation3 has an expected lifetime of 5 years!!

But yes, in relation to services, when there was a recent series of snafus on Telecom NZ's newest 3G network (known as "XT", for them a shift to GSM from CDMA), there were some pretty heavy fines doled out because the service was not performing to expectations and had a lot of downtime... those fines I believe were eventually passed to the hardware vendor after the problem was identified, but the penalties were definitely there.

In many countries, the cost of calling is almost directly related to the earning power of the people. In Georgia I was paying a maximum of 15 Tetri per minute (Rs3.9), in Ukraine a maximum of 0.35Hyrvnia (Rs2) with free on-network calling, in Finland I was paying about 0.06EUR (Rs3.5) per minute. In the US, Sprint's most expensive per minute rate in a plan is about Rs7, or they have some plans which offer under $0.10/minute (Rs4.5) during the day and "unlimited" night calling/sms/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.