• Thread starter Thread starter GAURAV7777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 4,156

GAURAV7777

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I have started having this wierd prob since yesterdayI can upload at full 15kbps no problem with thatbut the download rates don't go over 1kbps and with this i can't even browse properly cause it takes so much time to open anythingi have tried i even called that customer care of their's they say its a prob with my network or something at my endi don't understand everything was fine two days back i was downloading 500-600 mb per night :blink:

That's sify for you!

well tell the sify customer care b a st ar ds that ur lan card is wrkin fine and there is some problem with there network, tell them that if the cant rectify sittin there in chennai , then they shuld forward ur prob to technical team in ur city.and also tell ur CTO to check the problem , just to make sure the problem isnt at his end.

Most probably prom is with sify bcoz u are able to upload wellBut also try checking ur network like this Plz ping ur gateway like thisping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t -l 1470See if there are any breaking pings and note time in ms

Ur problem is not sify.First of all u mentioned tht u upload at 15KBps now when u upload at 15 ur bandwidth gets clogged so u will not be able to download .So i suggest tht u reduce ur upload speed.And by the way what r u uploadin at 15KBps :huh:

I agree with NeO ..... You cant Download and Upload at the same time and have 15Kbps of Up/Dl Speed ......This is an Asymmetrical connection ....... If however u r always getting download speed of 1kbps then Sify has Put a Caps on ur dl limit.....Not many may know this but Sify has a daily dl limit of 100mb if u exceed beyond that ur speed will get reduced......This is applicable to all the Unlimited Packs........I have purchased the costliest Unlimited pack of 96kbps for Rs.995...When buying i was told by the cust care that the daily download limit is more than 100mb....Now just a few days back I got a call from cust care regarding the disconnections that I am facing during the night ..They told me that the daily download limit was 100mb for all packs...man did i shout at them...I told them all #$%^& that came to my mind....After that I did see some action and my problem in now addressed properly...however it still remains but I get atleast 2-3 calls daily from them and they r trying to solve the problem.....Also i would suggest writing e-mails to the Team leaders...it solves the probs much better then cust care..........Theres one thing i am dying to ask Sify...whether u purchase an 40Kbps or a 96kbps pack speeds are the same as connection is shared so what for r they asking Rs995 for 96Kbps .....Although with 96Kbps u do get 10Kbps at night but with its own share of probs like disconnections...........Moral of StorySify s*cks...if possible go for some other ISP......mtnl/bsnl are the best choice for true broadband till June31 (honeymoon period)

I dont think their is any download limit of 100MB on night packs as my download r way too above of tht limit maybe 6 times then the limit. And as far as BSNL's dataone is concerned its not available in Bombay 🙁 And y does the time shown by the site is 5 AM when im postin at 1 am. :blink:

neo. something is wrong with my server 🙂 u have to move back to gmt 😕

i tried fixing it but could not... moving the time zone works for the end user... 😕

Originally posted by gauravtyagi@Feb 3 2005, 12:29 AM
I agree with NeO ..... You cant Download and Upload at the same time and have 15Kbps of Up/Dl Speed ......This is an Asymmetrical connection .......
[snapback]5380[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nopes ! Sify's is a Symmetrical connection. Broadly, the Upload and Download speeds must be more or less equal

It is only in DSL where we have @$$ymetrical connections and that is to make use of the limited range avbl in copper and maximise the possible bandwidth

For Ethernet, technically one can do 100 Mbps either way

http://www.sifybroadband.com/price.php?opt...&text_val=Delhi

See at the bottom of the Unlimited packs section. They have finally gotten around to mention a limit.

Also I am not sure too whether Sify allows downloading+uploading, at the same time, at the same speed.

I had read somewhere on one of Sify's pamphlets that the speed mentioned is the "throughput" speed which would mean it's upload+download speed combined.

But once, about two months ago when I was downloading something on Bittorrent I had seen my download and upload both show 6 kBps on a then 32 kbps connection, on which I used to normally get 6 kBps download speeds anyway.

Regarding the same speed quality of Upto 48/64/96 packs, since they are shared and their names say Upto, I guess the only time we would see a difference between their performances is when most people are offline, like late at night.

Usage >= 100 MB/day will be deemed as commercial useso downloading linux is a commercial activity... 🙁 linux torvald would be devastated. 🙁

Also what will Sify do if we consistently cross that 100 MB limit? Disconnect us as it says it is liable to do to commercial users in the Terms of Service document. They seem to have made things more murkier. Why couldn't they just put the halving of speed thing which they repeat on the Customer Care Helplines, on the website.