MTNL 3G Dolphin - Funny Re-Charge Plans - HOW TO HACK MTNL's plan.

Sachin Uppal

ISP
Tata Indicom Photon+
I bought a MTNL 3G Dolphin SIM card with a iLemon HSDPA modem. I spent Rs. 2500 to buy that and I posted some time back my inability to use it on Linux (which haven't been fixed yet :frown🙂, however, I lived with it... used it on Windows.

Coming to the main topic: Recharge plans of MTNL 3G. Please visit this link to see the present pre-paid advertised rates on MTNL's website.

MTNL 3G Jadoo DataCard Booking

Also, please visit this link to see the initial purchase price + recharge that comes along with it and the validity time frame.

To quickly summarize: A new iLemon Modem comes at a cost of Rs. 2500 with a 15 GB recharge coupon. The validity of this coupon is 2 months. Presently MTNL's website shows recharge plans of Rs. 99, 250, 450, 750, 2500 and you get data usage of 130 MB to 25 GB with a validity of just 30 days.

Now for a typical user who recharges for a Rs. 99 - Rs. 750 amount will get 1 month validity and a usage of 130 MB to 2 GB, the person in all likely hood consume that data with the validity of 1 month.

However, people who want a higher data usage like 10 GB, 15GB, 20GB and 25GB don't have any option left but to spend Rs. 2500 / month and consume 25GB and if you are not able to consume that, then your data is wasted and so is your money.

Below is a solution / HACK on MTNL's plan and make money, untill MTNL comes up with a smarter recharge option or validity periods.

Buy a new connection every time, you will get a new modem + 15GB recharge coupon with a validity of 2 months. 😀

Actually, you can make a good business out of it. Buy these modems from MTNL, take the SIM card and recharge coupons, use it for your personal use and sell the modems at 50% discounts and make money.

If someone is MTNL is reading this, a quick solution to avoid such a problem is:

Increase the validity of re-charge coupons from 1 month to 2 or 3 months depending on the size of the re-charge. Below is a suggestive break-up of what can work in favour of you:

10 GB recharge - Rs. 1750 - Validity 45 Days
20 GB recharge - Rs. 2250 - Validity 2 months
25 GB recharge - Rs. 2500 - Validity 3 months

In this way, you are giving the benefit of higher amount spent to the user (i.e. extended validity) also, incentive to buy higher amounts of recharge in one go.

I hope this helps and some action is taken soon.