Convert Airtel Broadband To Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter Perryb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 24,367
Commented before watching the video 🙁 I found another wireless router for the same price, Belkin (Enhanced) N150. Which one should i buy? And one of the requirement of Belkin is a Network Interface Card which i believe is the one where ethernet (or lan, i don't know) cable of current adsl modem goes. Am i right?

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Yeah.. One more thing. Do i need to purchase network adaptor even if i am installing Wireless router with the wired connection i.e modem (i believe the router will be connected with computer directly)?

yes you are right.... I would have gone with Belkin just because they mention the range but I believe that range would be the same for Netgear aswell. But Belkin doesn't seem to have a on off switch for the wireless ew!! problem if you need to turn off your wireless you can't unless done from the software firmware. netgear takes very little space belkin has an antenna. All upto you. NETGEAR is more sexy looking 😀

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Yeah.. One more thing. Do i need to purchase network adaptor even if i am installing Wireless router with the wired connection i.e modem (i believe the router will be connected with computer directly)?

no you dont have to worry about an adaptor unless you are going wireless on your PC also...

setup will be like

===Modem====wireless router====== computer
--------wireless router----------- cellphone

Legend

Wire =====
Wireless ---------

Okay then. I'll see which one is available with the dealer and get back to this thread as soon as i have it! Once again thanks for the help 🙂

Bought the Netgear N150 wireless router even though the G seried was available! Now that i have the router (your preference 😉) how should i set it up with Airtel Broadband modem?

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Check out the model pic 😛 Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

Hey Guys!
I am looking for exactly the same. I'm MTNL Broadband user (certainly it's not a MTNL forum, but as the discussion point is of wi-fi so I felt like participating). Firstly, the thing I want to ask is whether it is legal to split the connection via router for MTNL? Currently I have wired connection (Ethernet) for my PC, but within few days I'm probably buying one Dell Laptop.. I would like to connect laptop via Wi-Fi and PC through wired connection (as it doesn't have WLAN card). As of now, this modem is allotted PPPoE/PPPoA:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9334/wifiquestion.jpg .
So, is it okay if I buy one simple wifi router and configure it like this: ?
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/78/wificonfigure.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

@PerryB: Great! Congrats! Do update this thread as you progress in configuring the connection. I'll do the same if this comes out as clean setup. 🙂
[Your alias reminds me of my favorite toon character, Platypus Perry 🙂 ]

@Ankur Hey! Yeah the 2nd pic is exactly the way how @Mac responded when i asked this question. And i've bought router on Mac's recommendation and rely on him/her to set it up with Airtel bb. I'll keep this thread updated.P.s- Lol, Perry is just a nick name 🙂

@Perryb: You can check this vid out - How to Setup Your Netgear Wireless Router[/URL] .. It explains pretty much how to configure the netgear router (but this is 802.11g standard router I guess).. You will connect your PC with wired connection right?
And.. Perry name is fantastic. 😛

Last edited by a moderator:
@Perryb rely on me? I hope I havn't kept you waiting...lol.

ok this is what u need to do to begin with...
Open up the configuration page on your beetel http://192.168.1.1/main.html
make a backup of your settings from the management tab.
goto advance settings > WAN
edit your connection (1/32)
in the second screen change pppoe to bridging... click next and then save ....(be sure you remember your airtel connection details (connection user name; password. for eg: 01146476887@aitelbroadband.in; ********
then goto LAN and disable DHCP unless its already disabled...
now connect beetel with Netgear (adsl port) and also connect computer to netgear router (any lan port not adsl port) open up any web browser type routerlogin.net
login = admin
password = password
now the router will try to update ..... after you have the control back look at the left side pane where all the different tabs are.... click setup wizard there.
then the wizard will ask you a set of questions follow those enter your connection ID and pass.
(For eg: 01146476887@aitelbroadband.in; ********)
and thats pretty much it.... if you get stuck any where and can't go any further.... disconnect you modem and netgear, connect modem back with computer and setup WAN connection back again (change bridging to PPPOE) or just restore backup again.
and get on here again 😀

PS: the second image on Ankur's post is not same as what this setup is like.... in that image the true potential of the wireless router is not being utilized, the setup above will be a lot better.

@Ankur
Its completely legal to do what you want with your MTNL internet connection.

@Mac Yeah, i am completely relying on you for this. All hands down! Thanks for the tutoria but before i begin doing this, can you please clarify 2 things?1. I have a 24x7 'always on' connection i.e don't have to use dialler. So, will the above mentioned steps be the same?2. Though, i trust you but still in case I screw up, is there a possibility of hardwarw/software damage to Netgear/beetle. And will Airtel rep help me over phone regarding these settings?And NO you have'nt kept me waiting. Am in no worry just don't want to screw up 😛

If you are using it only for connection, call up the Airtel guys and ask them for wifi. They will sell you a router for 1400 bucks (Binatone) and they will only configure it

@ganeshran: Lol! He has already bought a Netgear N150@PerryB: There is no point of any sort of damage to either equipments. Assuming if you screw up in this process, Airtel guys will have your Beetel modem config sort out (atleast MTNL guys/uncles 😀 do).

Ans1. yes its the same setup.... beetel will get you the DSL sync and Netgear will auto dial keeping connection on 24/7though if you turn off netgear even your wired computer will be off the internet. So keep both of them on. ( I know I mentioned that you could just turn off the netgear router to turn off your wireless but this setup will let you get hands on with netgear 1st and then we could try the other setup later... saw your twitter profile and I believe you being a mobile blogger wouldn't mind 😛Ans2. Software damage is only possible if you try to load a 3rd party firmware and it fails miserablyHardware damage possible if you fail to setup the connection like we discussed, get frustrated out of your wits and bludgeon them with a hammer.(Airtel could help possibly not sure)😀

@ganeshran Please read my first post. You'll know why am here 🙂@Mac 1. Eh.. You said that Netgear had that on/off thing...? No use of having that then? And yeah am a mobile blogger but just a part time not a pro. Will share with you the blog address some other time 🙂2. So, unless and until i beat it up myself everything will be fine. Lol.. Thanks for the help again.I'll get back to this thread once i try the procedure (after getting the password from Airtel 😛, don't remember).

@Mac: Thanks so much.. I got where I was wrong in that config. I was assuming to connect telephone cable directly to this router; silly me. 😀 .
Thanks again. 🙂
AnkurGel