• Thread starter Thread starter yogi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 56,724

yogi

no fate but what we make
ISP
pacenet
I had asked a similar question about a laptop a long time back...but since I have a desktop, let me ask...What is the electricity bill per hour if you have a desktop running (with a crt monitor) ??This is in Bombay.

Actually it specifically depends on your desktop. For example a 17" CRT monitor of LG consumes more power in comparison to a 17" monitor of phillips. All varies with the brand and technology. Similarly a motherboard with an external graphic card consumes more power than a standard inbuilt grahic card mother board. Lastly it also depends on the type of meter you have installed. The simple old meters record less unit consumption in comparison with the new electronic meters now introduced by the Electricity Deartment. Basically i generally burn around 1-2 unit per hour when my pc is runnin at its full power.

ok, assume that it is a 17" monitor, but there is no external graphics card...so then how much will it be? I dont pay the bill, so I would not know if you talk in terms of units consumed...

Going by the status window (APC applet that runs in win) for my APC RS-1000 UPS- A monitor (17inch) + PC (P3 700 under load) with 3x250GB HDsis currently consuming 130 Watts.That would be 0.13 units/hr.Since we are in India, there is this wonderful slabs system, where the more you consume the more they clobber you.going by the 4th slab, of Rs.4/unit, it works out little under 50p/hr, take half (rough approx) that to get the cost for the month...25p/hr (upto)I would consider this an upper limit, since it assumes - your pc is always under load, which it won't be most of the time, so could defnitely be less - you hit the 4th slab around the 3rd week of the month.

by 25p/hr, you mean ____rupees or paise?? I didnt understand..

Paise of course.... you really are oblivious to electricity prices aren't you! 🙂

QUOTE(LoneCrusader @ Jul 23 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]56559[/snapback]
Basically i generally burn around 1-2 unit per hour when my pc is runnin at its full power.
[/b]
Your pC consumes between 1-2kW ???

i very much doubt that.

Ok first of all what r u tryin to say>? Am i burnin more or should i be burnin less? Cause dewd..i know this fantastic amateur electrician expert who i happen to say mom and she is basically a pc-hater and i get to have a large lecture and scoldin pretty much every 24 hours just cause i am burnin around 15-20 units of electricity everyday all cause of my pc cause it basically runs for 12 hours minimum on an any given day..Now i sometimes try to reason with her with fridge and TV consumin power too.....but what the hell i aint gonna win anyway. So be clear of what u r tryin to hint here.

..err..just possibly that your figures are off by a factor of 10.

assuming you understand that 1 unit = 1kW running for 1hour

eg. 1x100W bulb running for 10 hrs or 10x100W bulbs for 1 hr wil consume 1 unit

..i'd imagine ur rig would be in the 200-350W category...tops.

..so yeah..totaaaallly understand your parents hitting the roof when you claim use of 1-2units/hr :lol:

If ur comp is running @ max load with all devices incl CD drives etc running u'll consume a max of 300-325 Watts per hour which translates to abt .3 to .32 KWh or .3 units that is u'll consume .3 units of electricity per Hour. Multiply this figure by the no of hours that u use ur pc in a month and electricity charge which wld be a max of rs. 4/unit and u'll arrive at ur mothly consumption.BTW , keep in mind that ur PC would not always be running at max load so the actual consumption would be much less than what u arrive at by this calculation.

Ok so thanks to ur specific details i can give you a very specific answer now too. Ladies and Gentlemen ...my bad...i am burning around .1 to .2 unit of electricity per hour exactly!! I hope that makes every one happy around here. 😀

Ahh but slight prob with that calculator is that its used for sizing what PSU to get. So its using max values for everything which won't be the case in normal use.

The values i quoted are real time values as measured by my UPS and in effect are nearly half what any PSU calculator gives.

yes, the comp. takes approx. Rs 8-10 for 8 hours of useage( NU user ke liyae)! 🙂

QUOTE(cyberwiz @ Jul 24 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]56639[/snapback]
just in case u r paranoid here is a link to an online calc

😉
[/b]

Paranoid?? :blink: . I was just clearin up. :huh: