1 Gb Pen Drive

• Thread starter Thread starter mayank1200
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,674
should be around 1200-1400.

When I bought a 1 GB Kingston pendrive at the beginning of june, it did cost Rs.1450 in bangalore. (but it was slow - read/write was 6mBps/3mBps)Now, the same is available for Rs.790 and 2 GB pendrive (a newer & much faster model) comes for Rs.1300

QUOTE(prathapml @ Jul 25 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]56659[/snapback]
2 GB pendrive (a newer & much faster model) comes for Rs.1300
[/b]

Wow, I used to think it would cost more then 2k. Wonder how on earth companies charge so much for MP3 players based on the same technology.

Dude...MP3 is patented, so the real companies like Transcend, Apple etc who license it pass on their costs..in case of chinese playes , I doubt, thats why the chinese palyers are cheap. Remember its not always about hardware.

QUOTE(aniketvb @ Jul 26 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]56716[/snapback]
Dude...MP3 is patented, so the real companies like Transcend, Apple etc who license it pass on their costs....
[/b]

The economics are:

$2.5 per mp3 encoder with a yearly minimum of $15,000[/b]

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/printthread.php?t=5399

Even that does not justify the costs.

i dont think that 2 GB for 1300....it must b without warranty....here in delhi....i asked for 1 GB quantum pen drive wid 3 yrs warranty.

yeah, only thing is that they start failing after like 100,000 cycles 😉

QUOTE(max @ Aug 1 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]57255[/snapback]
yeah, only thing is that they start failing after like 100,000 cycles 😉
[/b]
I've read the same too, but i wonder whether its still relevant now a days.

What he means here is that each sector (if u can call it such) on a flash card is only good upto 100,000 writes. So imagine something like a windows paging file that would be constantly be changing meaning that storage life of such a device would be considerably shorter in comparison to say a regular HD.

Add one more zero...

Samsung/Toshiba flash memory chips gurranty 1M write operations per block.

a BBC article on flash memory reliability

They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and given to a six-year-old boy to destroy.

Perhaps surprisingly, all the cards survived these six tests.

Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. [/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3939333.stm