Option to Enable Disable or Change subtitles in HD DTH ?

kattuviriyan

Regular
ISP
Airtel Broadband
I believe one of the advantages of HD broadcast apart from picture quality and 5.1 sound is the ability to enable subtitles if required. ( if that channel supports subtitles)Ex. When Start Movies HD comes up, it would be nice if we have the option to enable/disable subtitles based on movies.Does the STB Menus or Remote has any option for this feature? Can this be added in future just by software upgrade?I am planning to buy Tata Sky HD. But i do not find any answers for this subtitle support anywhere.Can you guys guide me on this:smile:

mmm subtitle support has nothing to do with the broadcast quality!

User controlled subtitles/closed captioning (CC) need not only be supported by HD DTH. It can be supported by any digitized media delivery system such as digital cable, DTH or IPTV. It can be provided if its a separate stream along with audio and video. But it will occupy some space in the bandwidth that DTH operators do not like. Existing STB's should be able to handle this already or it can be updated to handle it. Controlling can be provided through a soft (colored) remote key. CC is more important than the subtitles.I would like to ask them to provide good quality audio, video and CC first then go for these sort of luxury add-ons, subtitle.

Subtitles hardly occupy few KBs, not even 100KB per movie, zipping text wud be hardly 10-20KB, so shudnt be problem for operators. Shudnt even take microseconds for broadcasting.

Thanks for your reply!Yes. I was expecting Closed Captions option only. The user should be able control the subtitles.I was able to do this during my stay abroad(Tel Aviv). Somehow I had the impression that only HD broadcast would add these feature ( though it is technically possible in all platforms). Even I use subtitles for downloaded movies as well( whatever be the quality) I am wondering why this is not considered by any of the DTH operators and TV broadcasters? Now most of the English channels embed the subtitles( or show without subs) which may not be liked by some users. Also, I believe that Nat Geo HD has embedded Chinese subs that user can not remove. How irritating!Indian users would enjoy English movies if there is subtitles. That's the reason many English movie channels including Star Movies and HBO opting for it. I read that the viewer ship increases 5 times after these channels enabled Subtitles.If they provide these subs in separate streams that would hardly cost 100KB per movie, it would be a really value add feature.I was hoping, with the advent of HD DTH, this would be considered.

Those who are comfortable with the language, accent and pronunciation will want to hear the nuances of the conversation, and will not definitely like subtitles which are distracting.But those who cannot follow the conversation will need subtitles to understand and enjoy the programme/movie.Provision to turn the subtitles on or off is a must; it is available in dvds for a very long time.

in current world technology = how much money it can fetch. if they think it will fetch money they will provide it within weeks, but if not then it will always be work in progress 😀

As of 2018 SUBTITLES are default comes along with the broadcast for digital tv
there is no option to deactivate subtitles that are annoying unless you watch Netflix or Amazon Prime
SUBTITLES are only good for a non-English speaking audience
I reached out to the service provider and they were unable to help there is no setting which deactivates it