• Thread starter Thread starter ranjitbhar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 22,709

ranjitbhar

Regular
ISP
Airtel / Reliance
Today I applied to beam tele Aug 10 will update you how it goes, I am moving from Airtel broadband due to lack of any good plans with them.BTW the beam tele rep came home and took the advance rental check with security deposit, he mentioned the connection will be given in the next 48 hrs :dance:

Looks like the installation is going to be delayed as already there 48 hrs is up, I today called up the guy who took the cheque he told me that installation should be done by 4pm today but I highly doubt the same.I do know some people directly in the top management of Beam but I do not want to call them, lets see how long will it take.

Finally got it installed today on 14 Aug Morning after making a couple of calls, the installation was delayed by around 2 days It should have been done by 12 Aug.

So far so good I am in the 4 Mbps package and listed below is the speedtest

https://www.speedtest.net

Tried a few videos at 720p with youtube and they loaded fine without issue, I am more or less getting around 4Mbps speed with the sites that support the same will test more and update this thread later.

Did try Speedtest form some servers located in the US and was getting around just 2.5 - 3 Mbps for those will have to monitor it for a few more days to get a better idea.

It's a bit nitpicking and too early but I found that its a big pain to get in contact via telephone to these beam guys for support..... so don't know how will it pan out in the long run, according to their website Its suggested that you SMS them if you have any problem only time will tell how well this goes, I do have a airtel broadband connection and I will not disconnect the same right now will wait for a couple of months and see the uptime and the stability of this beam connection right now its too early to judge.Will update this thread as the time goes by.

Ranjit & Singh, whats the area of your connection ? i saw hoarding at my uncle's place, they have very unstable BSNL connection as of now, trying to see if Beam can serve them better.

Merc I am in the Himayatnagar area as far as I know Beam is pretty much every where around Hyderabad & Secunderabad area.

Quick Update its been 2 days no downtime yet (I know its too early to say anything but just updating) speeds are great to asian servers but I have noticed that to the US servers its been not that great, just getting around 2 Mbps download to servers based in the US and around 1 - 1.4 Mb uploads.

Here as my test results for servers around the US

Dallas

New York

Washington DC

In Asia

Bombay

Singapore

Well if there are any other beam users reading this threat, please upload your speedtest results for servers based in the US, also noticed that for many servers in the US I am just getting around 500 - 700 kbps upload speeds.

Merc I am in the Himayatnagar area as far as I know Beam is pretty much every where around Hyderabad & Secunderabad area.

Quick Update its been 2 days no downtime yet (I know its too early to say anything but just updating) speeds are great to asian servers but I have noticed that to the US servers its been not that great, just getting around 2 Mbps download to servers based in the US and around 1 - 1.4 Mb uploads............. also noticed that for many servers in the US I am just getting around 500 - 700 kbps upload speeds.

Cool man you tempting me to divorce CrapTel (m sick of tired of getting inflated bills & no speed upgrade)
Can you do me a favor please 🙂
can you ping this server and let me know the status..
Code:

im also planing to go for beam btw im in kundanbagh, any suggestion welcome :urock:

Hi netant your ping results below64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=4 ttl=106 time=239.450 ms64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=5 ttl=105 time=241.172 ms64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=6 ttl=106 time=237.988 ms64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=7 ttl=105 time=241.007 ms--- 202.156.3.176 ping statistics ---8 packets transmitted, 8 packets received, 0.0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 224.122/241.652/254.430/9.038 msIts better to ask some one who is using the connection around your area to get an idea how is it around, a couple of my friends have been using beam for over a year and they recommended me adding the Crazy FUP stuff that airtel is playing around these days I took the plunge.

Hi netant your ping results below

64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=4 ttl=106 time=239.450 ms
64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=5 ttl=105 time=241.172 ms
64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=6 ttl=106 time=237.988 ms
64 bytes from 202.156.3.176: icmp_seq=7 ttl=105 time=241.007 ms
--- 202.156.3.176 ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 8 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 224.122/241.652/254.430/9.038 ms

Its better to ask some one who is using the connection around your area to get an idea how is it around, a couple of my friends have been using beam for over a year and they recommended me adding the Crazy Fair Usage Policy stuff that airtel is playing around these days I took the plunge.

im yet to figure out someone using beam in my locality. yes airtel just gone crappier :madness:

btw ur pings are pretty high . it should not cross 100ms,

im using a dedicated Beam cable line @office & i get getting 50- 60ms on that (fuel005, business connection)
Right now in my Airtel im getting this:-
Code:
Pinging 202.156.3.176 with 64 bytes of data:Reply from 202.156.3.176: bytes=64 time=72ms TTL=114Reply from 202.156.3.176: bytes=64 time=70ms TTL=114Reply from 202.156.3.176: bytes=64 time=73ms TTL=114Reply from 202.156.3.176: bytes=64 time=70ms TTL=114Ping statistics for 202.156.3.176:    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 73ms, Average = 71ms
in ur speedtest image ping to mumbai is 23, where as mine ping to mumbai will be ~50-60

anyways what is the FUP in B-Max1500 & B-Max2500 any relaxation in night time or anything ?

thanks

The ping are a bit crazy not all routes give great ping with beam, but I found it a bit less than airtel on some of the routes that I use, I have a server in the US which used to give around 285ms with airtel and with beam its around 270ms also I found pings to servers based in India to be good.BTW yes there is FUP with beam too, and its like thisMax 1500 4Mbps speed till 75 GB FUP there after 1 MbpsMax 2500 6Mbps speed till 100 GB FUP there after 2 MbpsThere is nothing like night time etc..... but they only count the downloads so uploads are free, the plus side with beam is that you get a very high upload speed technically it should be same as your download speed.Regarding Beam I just don't know how well will their customer service will be in case of downtime as in case of Airtel this was the best thing, with Airtel there was no downtime I just had one during my usage and it was fixed within 2-3 hrs.Also I found the sales rep of beam a bit relaxed in their attitude they just want to get new customer but dont bother about deadlines for instance if my case the rep promised the installation will be done in 2 days but it was not done and I had to make a lot of calls and the rep most of the time did not bother to pickup the phone, finally I had to call up my friend who knew some people in beam and there after 2 days my installation was done, so I guess if they say installation will be done in the 2-3 days expect a week, Just felt that Airtel team is a lot more professional and beam on the other hand a bit lax.

sales rep of beam a bit relaxed in their attitude they just want to get new customer but dont bother about deadlines for instance if my case the rep promised the installation will be done in 2 days but it was not done and I had to make a lot of calls and the rep most of the time did not bother to pickup the phone, finally I had to call up my friend who knew some people in beam and there after 2 days my installation was done, so I guess if they say installation will be done in the 2-3 days expect a week, Just felt that Airtel team is a lot more professional and beam on the other hand a bit lax.
hee hee thanks for those precious information 🙂 i wanna give beam a short really sick of CrapTel now 😕

Just wanted to update...... it's been almost a week and no downtime or any other problems.... touch wood I know its still in the honeymoon phase but wanted to share with you all.The good thing is that on 17 Tuesday it was raining like crazy here (at least for hyderabad standards) and it rained heavily for quite some time, at that time there was a power failure for around 3 hours but the beam connection worked without any issues, later on 18 there was again a power cut for around 5 hours in my area but still the beam connection worked without any issues I was surprised coz the guy who installed the box which had a battery backup told me to expect around 2.5 - 3 hours of backup incase of power failure but it worked for for quite longer that which is a plus.Also I have noticed that the connection doesn't log you out automatically, you need to login via the beam portal and kudos to beam its super fast and works without any problems I am using the connection with a Wifi router and have zero issues (I was a bit scared coz of the portal logins coz with reliance DSL broadband I had a lot of issue with the login page and wifi routers) I was logged in for one session for more than 24 hours without any issues so far its been good, also you can see the bandwidth reports on the portal with a delay of around a day and they are accurate.

Update: It's been almost 15 days since I have taken the beam connection, so far no downtime or any issues till date, one day about 4-5 days ago in the morning hours for about 6-7 hrs the uploads speed was very slow just about 150 kbps but it got rectified automatically by late afternoon.

Hey msingh it's going to be almost one month and the good news is that there was no downtime for the connection, but I am not super happy with the connection, coz from the last couple of weeks I am noticing a lot of Jitter in the connection some packet loss at lots of times, but a generic slow down at times for a few seconds while loading pages, I hardly manage to get around 2 Mbps for servers based in the US.Because of this Jitteriness or slight lag in the connection there can be problems in applications like gaming or VOIP for example on PS3 I play Battle field bad company 2 and I never had a problem when I use airtel, with the beams connection I was getting disconnected after 8-10 mins every time.... last time I played, when I switched to my airtel connection I did not have any problems thought it was 4 times slower in speed compared to beam, I do hope this problem is temporary and they fix the quality of their connection.I will monitor the connection for a few more weeks and update, msingh do share your experience.

Full month gone with Beam, the good news is the connection is rock stable no down time even for a minute despite all the rains and record power outages we had this month. The only problem I find is many times the connections to the US based servers are pretty slow compared to servers in Asia, I am just getting about 50% throughput to servers based in the US and the problems is the sites that I access 80% of the times are based in the US. I have also notice that from the past 2 week I am unable to get past 2 Mbps to US based servers and most of the time I am just getting around 1 Mbps download speed according to speedtest.net.

The gaming problems got solved after 2-3 days but I am still getting a bit longer ping times on beam compared to airtel and the quality of connection according to pingtest.net for me fluctuates from A - C for beam based during testing, for aritel I mostly get A, overall a great connection for the price point but I just hope they keep maintain there network as it can slow down at times.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Posting some of the pingtest.net results

At Sep 16 time 4:58pm
http://www.pingtest.net

At 4:59 pm

At 5:01 pm

At 5:06 pm

As you can see there is also some packet loss at times and the Jitter values fluctuates a lot.