Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) News

still we r under the Britseven tough brown guy is on the chairthis sucksby this we r being racistmake their study free if they cannot afford.but atleast chk their brainsn dude this is india an online petition wont help

^^^ Exactly what i meant, check their brains and fund their education if they have better or atleast equal brains compared to non-reserve category students.And I know that in India, an online petition will not make a diff but atleast someone's trying to bring a change, what does it take to just sign our name in that list?

i can spend those 2 minutes doing something productive with my time. even smoking is more productive i would say.

"I am looking for students with raw intelligence and not those with a mind prepared by coaching class tutors. The coaching classes only help students in mastering (question paper) pattern recognizing skills. With this, you cannot get students with raw intelligence," said IIT-Madras director, M S Ananth.

"You may not be able to do away with the JEE but I am wondering if we should be conducting an examination for 3,00,00 aspirants and selecting just 5,000. Instead, we must evolve a system where only the top 1% of students from different state boards and CBSE are permitted to appear for the JEE," he said.

Professor V G Idichandy, dean (students), IIT Madras, was more vocal, demanding that JEE be abolished.

JEE fails to get the best: IIT dons - India - The Times of India

What do you think guys?

Are coaching classes are ruining the future of technology in India by rote-learning and mindless exercises in the name of JEE IIT entrance exam preparation?

India has a percentage based education not giving any chance to overall development of a child, is that true?

ha ha ha what a joke.. Everybody knows that to top in board exams, you just have 2 mug up things. Yeah coaching classes do teach to mug up but those are the board coaching classes. One can't mug up and pass JEE man (atleast thats what I think). The IIT-Madras guy is totally wrong. he's sayin abolish JEE.. After a semester of implementing his idea, he'll have to say abolish IIT... lol.

totally crap .. high-school and inter are part of school education where a student is still a child and not very serious of its overcome . if he hasnt done well in them then it doesnt mean he is a bad student and cant go fo higher education in good colleges .about jee i think it sud revert back to its previous pattern of 2-tier exam and evryone allowed regardless of percentage . i know a friend of mine who scored just 40% in his inter and then he worked for a year and cleared the IIT-JEE .

they killed the board exams in 10th. they are going to kill the board exams in class 12th as well. what they are not doing is improving the quality of education delivered in majority of the schools. no one is worried about where our education system is going.

@pratyush77: I dare say that one can crack JEE by slogging 12-14 hours per day solving countless number of problems without real understanding. Not all those who crack JEE are brilliant students.
In fact if you ask any professor of IITs he would say the same. Those things become clear once they enter into the IITs. Those who have real brain do well in their semesters while the others who had slogged to enter the IITs find it difficult to keep up.

@lightgreen49: I too think the 2 tier system was better than the present single exam. The subjective exam, to an extent, was a good yardstick to gauge the real thinking power of a student.
IMO, now that one has to appear for only one written exam, IITs should also interview the qualified students (as IIMs do) to ascertain the quality of the student.
But then our ministry is more interested in reducing the pressure on the students than ensuring quality education...

I totally agree with what admin said. Instead of scrapping exams and making into elite institutions lax in the name of reducing the pressure on the students they should focus on providing quality education right from the school level so that the need for such things won't arise in the later stages of a student's life.

it is a well known fact that majority of graduates coming out of regular colleges require months of training just for basic jobs. in comparison. college graduates abroad are running statups. facebook is a good example. they work on such projects in college and before you are grad, you are running a huge company.

That's one of the downsides of having an objective exam . People can mug up methods which will yield the answer but will have absolutely no idea why did they use that , in subjective problems atleast you get to demonstrate how you approach the problem and whether you fully comprehend it or not . But then with the number of aspirants being insanely high , it would be cumbersome to find so many checkers .