bsnl broadband: Incredible download speeds on motive.bsnl website

• Thread starter Thread starter paradox167
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 4,784

paradox167

ISP
BSNL BROADBAND
Hello,I am on UL1350+(changing to 750 next month) from BSNL with ip of 117.x.x.xEvery time i restart my modem and open web browser, the Karnataka motive.bsnl page opens up to download the 162MB zip file. I tried it many times and the download speed is incredible.It downloads constantly at 190 KBPS(kilo bytes) or 1.5Mbps .But when i download software like itunes it downloads at 55 KBPS.Is that speed difference normal or am i getting lower speeds??I have read many posts in the forum about people getting speeds like this.I just wanted someone to clarify this issue.Thanks.

You should be getting around 2 Mbps on your UL1350+ tariff plan. Complain to NIB and get your speed upgraded. 55 KBps ain't 2 Mbps.

Hey, when are downloading that 162MB file, you are downloading it from our Local BSNL Server. Thats why you get so higher speed. Hope this clarifies your doubt.
Did you install that software? Does it really help you in any manner?

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

@iChaitanya - You forgot to include the UL1350 plan clause, i.e., 2MBPS upto 25GB usage. Later the speed will become 512kbps. So, around 55Kbps is normal speed for 512kbps connection.

Thank you all for your response.@iChaitanya - I never got the speed upgrade they promised.My speed has remained the same for the entire month.I called them up regarding the issue and as usual, the BSNL guys said they had no idea of such plan.@ckr97 - Thanks for clarifying the issue.Well i downloaded it and tried to install it.It is basically the same stuff they give you in the CD when you buy their modem(how to connect your modem for internet and stuff..) I tried the BSNL self care portal ,but the software gave an error and i uninstalled it.I am happy with the 55KBPS speed that i get but was confused as to why only the motive software downloaded at 190KBPS everytime.Thanks guys.

@paradox167 - If that software gives error, why is BSNL fooling customers by providing such unwanted stuff... Actually speaking this software is junk and nobody needs it, specially if we are using Windows XP and higher. Only 1 thing I appreciate is that that stupid software is not taken into account for download limit.@GadgetGuru12 - yes you are right - mine was typo. Its 2MBPS till 15GB.

Absolutely true. The software is totally useless and it is irritating when you are redirected to the motive website everytime you restart the modem.I downloaded the software with a hope that i will not be redirected again to that wretched BSNL site, but it still happens everytime....