Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,008
Status
Not open for further replies.
MGCInteresting......A 45-60 GB plan will be quite good.What will be the other charges for devices etc,if any.Btw you misunderstood me.My reason for raising the limit for Lite was for those people who will not be getting a wired connection to start with but will like to take Hayai but need more than 30gb.For them raising the limit might be a good decision.Also will there be any rise in charges for the new technology.Like earlier it was rs 649 for the 30 GB plan.

MGC

Interesting......A 45-60 GB plan will be quite good.What will be the other charges for devices etc,if any.Btw you misunderstood me.My reason for raising the limit for Lite was for those people who will not be getting a wired connection to start with but will like to take Hayai but need more than 30gb.For them raising the limit might be a good decision.Also will there be any rise in charges for the new technology.Like earlier it was rs 649 for the 30 GB plan.

I don't think I misunderstood you. Hayai Lite will be available pretty much only where wired connections are also available BUT in some areas where we know we won't be able to go with wired access, we will use a wireless backhaul to reach that place.

Because of that, 30GB will continue to be the maximum unless we can determine that the equipment can handle a significant increase in traffic even on a wireless backhaul - because if not, then raising the limit might turn out to be a very bad decision (the equipment could potentially face load/cpu problems and reset itself more often, cutting off service for those connected to that AP for a few minutes in the process - how annoying would that be?)

The charges for all plans remain the same because the access points themselves are much cheaper BUT we will need more access points to cover the same amount of area. The antennas that we will be attaching to your window would cost about Rs1,000.

A little update on Hayai Lite: we're seriously considering a change in technology (yay for last-minute changes).

Even though we have access to a WiMax network in Mumbai, we're now thinking that we should use 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11n) with high-gain antennas so that users can have internet access without a CPE, but it's also due (in part) to some manufacturers scaling back their WiMax equipment offerings.

For subscribers who don't have WiFi (or if the signal is weak), we can provide an a CPE with an outdoor antenna to be attached to the window cage to give a better signal, and although using WiFi instead of WiMax will mean that we will have to install more APs (in some cases, one AP for each apartment building plus repeaters as necessary), we think that the combination of technology and increase density of APs will give us better coverage, reliability & speed than what we were working on with WiMax. 802.11g/n also offers faster speeds.
The reason for this new consideration is because in NZ we're using 5GHz WiFi (802.11n) due to 2.4GHz being widely used in NZ and the limited availability of WiMax equipment. The advantage to this is that we don't have any interference, the disadvantage is that because most WiFi cards don't support 5GHz by default, this requires everyone to have a CPE on their roof (which contributes about Rs300/month to the fee). The good news is that so far the tests are giving us speeds in excess of what the wired line actually handles, even at distances of 2.2km.

Authentication & security in both cases would be taken care of by WPA2-Enterprise (when you connect to the wifi, you enter a username & password, such as user@lite.hayai.net.in).

Did you look at 802.16m(also called wimax 2). Samsung demostrated 330Mbps speeds.

Did you look at 802.16m(also called wimax 2). Samsung demostrated 330Mbps speeds.

The Wimax network we had been working on really suffered under load, which was very disappointing, but other than that, it really came down to price & performance. Normal (802.16d/e) base-stations are about 14x the cost on a per megabit basis of our wifi equipment - and we've got pretty nice wifi equipment (I'm personally quite pleased with it).

As it turns out, WiFi will work better for our purposes because we can ensure better quality connections more easily, as the service radius will be smaller. The connection won't necessarily be higher speed but certainly more stable - 3mbit/s is still the benchmark for the minimum achievable speed, but we should be able to achieve or exceed that more easily than we would have on WiMax, and we can safely upgrade the average speed we think people will get from 8 to 10mbit/s.

I ran some frequency scans while trundling around Faridabad a couple of weeks back and I was pleased to discover that our service won't have too many issues competing with what is currently available (unfortunately I don't know exactly where I was... I was in the car).

What does this mean for areas we can't yet provide access? Put simply: outside the wired coverage are we can still put an AP, but instead of being connected to fibre, we would put in one or more dedicated wireless relays at each AP on a different frequency to reach those areas we don't have wired access. This should help us ensure that those users can not only receive the Hayai Lite service, but that those users can receive the same level of service as people in the wired coverage area would get.

You say this then you say you'll have to put a cap of 30 GB to wireless because of technology issues -- that's not the same level of service at all. 😀

You say this then you say you'll have to put a cap of 30 GB to wireless because of technology issues -- that's not the same level of service at all. 😀
I'll admit I too think 30GB is a bit harsh... I was really looking forward to the 45GB plan he had before... As I m presently living in a smaller city in Maharashtra as of now I dont expect the Hayai wired connection to reach me in the next 5-7 yrs... So my only hope is Hayai expands its wireless operation quickly & reaches my city in the next 2 yrs 🙂... But 30GB isnt all that bad as we get 30GB of Hayai zone too making it 60GB max possible 🙂 ...

Level refers to quality, not data transfer. As has been mentioned on many occasions, it's a service aimed at light users, not those who need more bandwidth.

It's up to us to tell you what you should get, it's up to you to actually choose the correct plan to suit your usage levels - if we tell you that you need Hayai Fibre to get the best experience out of your connection and you choose the lite service anyway, then if your performance suffers as a result, whose fault is that? The problem is compounded even more when it's not just one, but hundreds of other users.

I'll admit I too think 30GB is a bit harsh... I was really looking forward to the 45GB plan he had before...

We've never had a 45GB plan on wireless. We have thought about introducing one due to improved technology, but that's as far as it's got thus far.

As I m presently living in a smaller city in Maharashtra as of now I dont expect the Hayai wired connection to reach me in the next 5-7 yrs... So my only hope is Hayai expands its wireless operation quickly & reaches my city in the next 2 yrs 🙂...

Because we're no longer using WiMax, basically rollouts are simultaneous. If you can get Hayai Lite, chances are that you'll be able to get fiber (unless you're a super small village for which we might be using a wireless backhaul). It's easier that way.

But 30GB isnt all that bad as we get 30GB of Hayai zone too making it 60GB max possible 🙂 ...

...you mean 60GB of Hayai Zone for a total of 90GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.