New Reliance broadnet broadband plans rolled out for All India

• Thread starter Thread starter katpasin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 10,940
Status
Not open for further replies.
alright so i searched about all the queries and i know now that router can do the stuff?

Yes.

even if i buy a router the reliance web page login will still be there or not?

Yes. This is how they authenticate. But because the traffic would appear to originate from one source, the login would presumably work for all computers connected to the broadband router.

can i buy a router with adsl plus normal router capabilities as if i buy an adsl connection then i will have to use the adsl router and then connect it to my normal router?

Yes, you can buy an ADSL router. The ones provided by ISPs are usually just el-cheapo ones. You can just buy whatever router you like and, assuming you know how to set it up correctly, use it to replace the equipment supplied by the ISP.

third can a router also work as a switch,like if i want to use it for using internet on wifi on my laptop and though the ethernet wire on my PC and another ethernet wire on my PS3(i know my PC and PS3 have wifi but this is just query)?

Many consumer broadband or adsl routers come equipped with 4 ethernet ports, so essentially they have a switch built in, that's the point of them 🙂

fourth is,my friend who has a nivyah connection,his connection is logged out after some hours even if traffic is happening.he has set his PPOPE setting in his comp as keep redialing if disconnect and this normally happens when network problem from ISP's end or some other problem.but there is an exception,sometimes his connection disconnects when there is no problem from the connection or the line but does not redial,he has to redial manually and the connection works again.how will the router work if this situation arises?

Your friend probably needs to turn up the amount of retries for his PPPoE connection on his computer. On windows, the default # of retries is 3. It can be set to as high as 99. He could/should probably also turn down the amount of idle time before disconnect. I think Windows defaults to 60 minutes... I'd suggest to set it to 10 or 20 so that if the connection goes down but doesn't disconnect, the computer will be idle for just 10 minutes before disconnecting. If the "redial if line is dropped" option is ticked, the computer should theoretically try to redial automatically in order to re-establish the connection.

If he purchased a router, it would handle the PPPoE. It should be able to retry dialling every 60 seconds in case of a disconnection... probably up to 99 times. In this case, if the connection goes down for 1.5 hours, he may have to redial manually but that may depend entirely on the router - it may be possible to set retries to "unlimited".

In some cases on cable networks, it may be such that one needs to call up support and reset the port binding (it seems to happen mostly on Hathway, I've not really used Nivyah myself too much and I've not ever called their support line, so it's hard for me to say anything definitive about what to do here).

Your friend probably needs to turn up the amount of retries for his PPPoE connection on his computer. On windows, the default # of retries is 3. It can be set to as high as 99. He could/should probably also turn down the amount of idle time before disconnect. I think Windows defaults to 60 minutes... I'd suggest to set it to 10 or 20 so that if the connection goes down but doesn't disconnect, the computer will be idle for just 10 minutes before disconnecting. If the "redial if line is dropped" option is ticked, the computer should theoretically try to redial automatically in order to re-establish the connection.

If he purchased a router, it would handle the PPPoE. It should be able to retry dialling every 60 seconds in case of a disconnection... probably up to 99 times. In this case, if the connection goes down for 1.5 hours, he may have to redial manually but that may depend entirely on the router - it may be possible to set retries to "unlimited".

In some cases on cable networks, it may be such that one needs to call up support and reset the port binding (it seems to happen mostly on Hathway, I've not really used Nivyah myself too much and I've not ever called their support line, so it's hard for me to say anything definitive about what to do here).

thats the problem,he already has retries at highest and idle time lowest

the redialing happens for all problems,like when network disconnects or line drops for some time but when this problem happens and when the line is fine,it doesn't redial

and NIVYAH support says that the line is fine,they actually don't have much support but only some technical guys on a single number

and because of my friends problem i am trying to get to know about this as much before changing my connection

I've been using reliance for the past 3 years and its good.....The new plans are awesome.... I've just migrated to Rs749+taxes day 600kbps and night 1mbps unlimited........And whenever(every 3 or 4 months) i complain to the CC they come that very day to my house or the next day morning to fix the problem............

Status
Not open for further replies.