• Thread starter Thread starter tanmoykm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 14,963

tanmoykm

ISP
BSNL
Dear Forum Members,

I am a subscriber of BSNL Unlimited 750+. Since 18th February 2010 a strange thing is happening with my connection which even the technical support department of BSNL is unable to solve till now. I want to share the issue over here to seek expert opinion. This is not a complaint against BSNL as I know they are trying hard to resolve it too, but the root cause is still unknown and we are in complete darkness.

Problem:

Since last 2 months the broadband connection drops after 6:10 pm on a regular basis. After that reconnection is a trouble, the error codes are - 619, 678, 756, 676 and 718. The later (718) comes up mostly after 11:00 pm and then it is impossible to connect.
After 6:15 pm the connection drops every now and then, if connected the download speed comes down to 1.2 kbps (whereas we get 29.2 kbps for 256 kbps connection), and there is atleast 45% to 60% packet loss in ping. The strange thing is the link of the ADSL Modem UT300R2U remains stable and never even blinks or goes off.

During the day time the connection is very nice with no downtime at all. I checked the evening problem with different computers, O/S like XP SP2 and Ubuntu 9.1. The telephone line has no noise or disturbance.

Our exchange people changed the port of the connection, changed the wires and did resistance check up of the lines, changed the modem and jumper at their end. However no improvement is observed. There is no such complaint from people in my locality who are also using the same connection of BSNL during the evenings.

Can any one throw some light on the root cause of the problem? That will help me and the BSNL problem to resolve the problem quickly as we are trying different things (changing cables and setting jumpers) every day.

My IP is of 117.201.XXX.X range

To summarize again - Link has no problem, day time connection is fine, telephone line is ok, disconnection and poor data transfer speed after 6:00 pm IST and no connection after 11:15 pm.

This is not a complaint posting, just a posting to seek an answer to a strange problem.

Thanks

T.K. Mukherjee

West Bengal

have you / BSNL tried following : 1. change the location of the modem . move it away from the CPU , any cordless phones ... etc. 2. try a different power adaptor for the modem 3. try a different modem

have you / BSNL tried following :
1. change the location of the modem . move it away from the CPU , any cordless phones ... etc.
2. try a different power adaptor for the modem
3. try a different modem

Thank you for the reply Seshu.

We tried all the three options. Changed the modem twice, and the lan cable too. Also the microfilter was changed to check if it is a cause of problem. The link is stable 100% and there is not even a slight blinking.

have u checked if your telephone line is running close to a bad choke (tubelight) or a faulty motor... is there any change/drop in SNR values before 6PM and after ???

have u checked if your telephone line is running close to a bad choke (tubelight) or a faulty motor... is there any change/drop in SNR values before 6PM and after ???

Anant, the SNR reading is not available with me. However the line is not close to any other electrical devices within the house and outside upto the Distribution box it is not hanging with any electrical wires but other telephone lines. There is no problem in the telephone, not a bit sound even.

T.K. Mukherjee

At 06:10 PM what changes are being done in your household? You must be switching on diff. lights and electrical appliances. Look around and locate the changes being done in our houshold and your neighbourhood, particularly related to electical appliances. Also if you are using a wireless modem, switch off the wireless feature and see if it makes any difference. There might be someone hacking into your modem (in case of wireless modem). Else the culprit is likely to be electrical/electronic disturbance and interference.Keep us posted. This certainly is a unique case.Lalit Kumar BarikOrissa

Very unlikely to help, but if you have a UPS connect the modem to that and use it. If it does not help then disconnect the UPS from the main power and let it run on battery. check if the modem works fine on battery. If it does then you have a power supply/adapter issue.

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. I have checked out with the electrical appliances, the room in which the computer is kept has a tubelight. I turned it off today but made no difference. I have wired connection. The modem is connected to an UPS. Now yesterday the BSNL people tried a different thing. They installed a new modem (Nokia Siemens Home Router) and made the connection direct. So now from windows or linux I get online when I turn on the PC. I don't have to click on the connection icon to get connected. The connection is direct with the router in the exchange. This did not solved the problem though. Now unlike before the connection is not dropping or getting disconnected. However the data transfer is very slow (60% packet loss on ping to BSNL server) after 6:00 pm and also the signal of internet in this modem (not the DSL Link, the DSL Link is stable) starts going off and I get Destination Not Reachable during Ping. So the problem is not solved, and I doubt if there is a problem from the server end? Can this be a case that the server is not responding properly at a certain time? Other subscribers of my area is not facing such problems.

Dear All

I am facing exactly the same problem.
I tried several options available here suggested by fellow members, but still the problem is not solved.
Lineman changed my pair, no electrical devices are interfering, etc.

Is it possible that some software is culprit for the problem??
I am using win xp sp3, Kasperkey internet security 2009.

If anyone has some other solution, please share, so it can benefit all the members.

Thnx.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2+*
Line Coding: Trellis On*
Link Power State: L0*

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 33.9* 26.6*
Attenuation (dB): 31.5* 17.3*
Output Power (dBm): 12.3* 18.1*
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11422* 1197*
Rate (Kbps): 1996* 496*
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 70* 14*
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 24* 46*
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1* 1*
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2* 1*
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16* 14*
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4249* 3.2105*
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 772* 152*
D (interleaver depth): 64* 8*
Delay (msec): 6* 6*

Super Frames: 18574* 14570*
Super Frame Errors: 0* 2426*
RS Words: 2823348* 290234*
RS Correctable Errors: 0* 141573*
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0* N/A*

HEC Errors: 0* 9245*
OCD Errors: 0* 0*
LCD Errors: 0* 0*
Total Cells: 1412514* 542033709*
Data Cells: 217* 6485292*
Bit Errors: 0* 956436*

Total ES: 0* 2898114*
Total SES: 0* 2897544*
Total UAS: 17* 2897322*

dear friend things similar to these happens to me too (connection problem and low speed during some particular time ) i dont much u can do about this because it is because of the trafic congestion of the network .few shots u can give(i tried and sometimes they works)-:1.if u encounter this problem try changing the mod from adsl+->gdmt in modem settings and try pppoe mode so that your router try and try again till connection is made2.keep the phone line busy by hanging on the receiver and tapping the phone till u get a clear dial tone3.do a call on your landline thru mobile and then try to connect 4.this is the first thing u sud do, try to communicatte wioth local exchange and convince them that ther is some problem :icry: ,they wont agree just some how make them clean your phone line 5.pray to GOD (even he wont hear a plea about bsnl )

Are you a new customer of BSNL since 18-Feb-2010? Do you know if there was any Network change in your account?Were you using the P2 Network (IP - 59.x.x.x) ? I notice that you are on MP Network (IP - 117.x.x.x), which is not stable! The old P2 network is best.

I would suggest try in different pc (or laptop) and see if it works or not. If it works then its the prob with pc else line problem.

Outside of your home, the telephone line may be close to some electrical lines, which may be causing disturbances/noise after 6:10 pm when switched on! A wild guess😕

i still feel it must be some electrical disturbance that is causing you this headache... low voltages at that particular time, when most household & street lights are switched on might be inducing a lot of humming noise in the power adaptors...you can check this by using a cordless phone connected to your telephone line, if there is even a slight humming noise in the receiver, your BB will not function properly...enter 192.168.1.1 in your address bar, use "admin" without the quotes as username and password.. Click on Device info, Statistics, ADSL in that order on the LHS and check the downstream SNR values in the table on the RHS... do this once in the afternoon when the lines are good and in the evening when the lines are acting up...post both the values...

Thnx to all the members for their help.Today I got call from Bsnl, and one solution they gave that, if there is any tube light near by, then change telephone line from that place to somewhere else, where there is no electrical interference, so I am gonna try that in the evening and will update the result if any.Thnx again.