I am planning to buy Nokia 5800 : Your comments please...?

• Thread starter Thread starter icycool25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 13,270

icycool25

Greatest P2P Downloader
ISP
BSNL Broadband 750 UL @ Rs.500 pm
Hello Friends, I have always had a crush on Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic ever since it was launched around a year back or something. 😛 But I could not gather the courage to buy it. However, I am in a full mood now to purchase it. :inodding: So what do you guys feel about it ? Do you think its a wise decision to buy the phone ? 😉 I have assessed other touch-screen phones as well like HTC Touch, Samsung Corby and LG Cookie, but each of these brands have some issues or the other. iPhone...? Didn't even think of it..! Its such a wallet-killer ! I found Nokia 5800 to the best touch-screen phone in the market according to me ! However, comments about better touch-screen phones are always welcome..! 🙂But here comes comes the real catch : The N 5800 available in the market now costs Rs.14000 (approx) however the original version of N 5800 which was launched a year back was priced at around Rs.17000. So the question is that with reduced price, certain features might have removed from the phone as well..! As far as I know, the TV Out feature have been removed. Are there any more features that has been removed ? And finally...will I get the older Rs.17000 model at present since I do not want to miss out on the features..! :urock:And your feedback on N 5800 is always welcomed ! 🙂

I bought the N 5800 3 months back and I am absolutely enjoying it. My version doesn't have the TV out, and I haven't really felt the need for it yet. The touch interface is nice, slightly on the slower side for bringing up the main menu as compared to the iPhone, but the touch experience is nice with it's feedback system. The on screen QWERTY is cool, took some getting used to, being the first time with a touch phone, but have been using it ever since. The handwriting recognition works like a charm even on my pathetic writing, and of course the latest firmware gives it kinetic scrolling, which was missing for a long time. Being an extremely popular phone, lots of apps freely available on the net, and I have used the Office as well as pdf tools with good amount of success. The music and video playback is good, resolution is great. It doesn't play FLAC, but you can download free players for that too. The best thing for me though is the GPS, which is awesome. I live in a metro and have found the directions pretty accurate and spot on. It does seem to ignore the U turns, however I would still give it a 9 on 10 for the GPS. And oh yes, it does take calls 😀 Haven't been able to test the video call being on Vodafone, but hope to soon if Raja wishes.Negative: The main menu loads slow like I said. The camera is good for video, but only decent for still photography - strange. Ever since Symbian has been made open source, there have been updates to improve the picture quality, but I haven't installed and tested myself. I think the phone is available for around 13K in the market, and a hard bargain might get you a lower price too.

yes it's a good phone. i bought it in june last year. it had some bugs but software updates keep coming. ovi store also has lots of free apps and there is also free navigation. 5800 has satellite gps so there is no need for data plan for A-GPS.music playback is good, battery is decent i charge it once in 2 days and my usage is music,browsing,texting and sometimes movies.but there are certain cons alsobad camerai have problems playing some mp4 filesscreen rotation doesnt work sometime.but i can surely say that its better than the cookies and the corbys and other touch screen phones and you must buy it.if ur budget is tight u can buy 5530,5235,..... i guess there are 5-6 models with same looks but reduced features

^ Can you describe the screen rotation problem? I have never faced the orientation issue. Did you try the SmartMovie player?

I was one of the first people to buy this phone and my phone has TV output feature, But I dont even remember when I used it last. The touch interface is sometime slow but its not bad.I have lost both the stylus which came with the phone, But I never needed it because you can do everything with the phone with your fingers. You wont get the Original 5800, I believe the production is stopped now, Correct me if am wrong. You can go for 5530 which costs somewhere around 14K.

^ Can you describe the screen rotation problem? I have never faced the orientation issue.

Did you try the SmartMovie player?

most of the times the screen does rotate. but sometimes it does not.
haven't tried smart movie player

Go with Samsung i7500 Galaxy. Anderiod phone , with a good speed and having 8GB of memory at Rs14000 , Nokia 5800 is Good phone too, but it is old fashion now. My Recommendation Samsung Anderiod i7500 Galaxy. soon it will be updated to Anderiod version 2.1 , Go with it , Else it's ur life

It's Battery and Screen is world class , battery is 1500mah, screen is OLED , having better view under sunlight , my recommendation go with it

ohh yes me bhol gaya , essme radio tu hai naheee , It is very great feature , lot of great, conman man , u get iPhone like smartphone in just 14000 , even Iphone does not have FM

Nokia 5800 is a great phone, I recommend you to buy it.I have not experienced the problems which some other users have mentioned, although it could be because my handset is fairly new (bought it in November last year).

yes it's a good phone. i bought it in june last year. it had some bugs but software updates keep coming. ovi store also has lots of free apps and there is also free navigation. 5800 has satellite gps so there is no need for data plan for A-GPS.
music playback is good, battery is decent i charge it once in 2 days and my usage is music,browsing,texting and sometimes movies.

but there are certain cons also
bad camera
i have problems playing some mp4 files
screen rotation doesnt work sometime.

but i can surely say that its better than the cookies and the corbys and other touch screen phones and you must buy it.

if ur budget is tight u can buy 5530,5235,..... i guess there are 5-6 models with same looks but reduced features

I agree with all of you, i have a 5800 as well & really like it. Did have some issues with screen rotation(accelerometer) but after upgrading to the latest firmware at Nokia service center that seems to be fixed the phone works even better with new features ... i would really call it the best touchscreen phone in it's price range.

Well Nokia 5800 is also good , but application wise and memory, screen, processing power and OS , Samsung Galaxy is best

Samsung Galaxy is also a pretty good phone with Android OS, Amoled screen, better 3g speeds, Processing capability etc but like already discussed does not have some basic features such as FM Radio or Bluetooth file transfer(BT is this model is only for headphone & data transfer etc is not supported) .. check into all these facts and you can buy one of these 2 depending on your requirements.

I agree with all of you, i have a 5800 as well & really like it. Did have some issues with screen rotation(accelerometer) but after upgrading to the latest firmware at Nokia service center that seems to be fixed the phone works even better with new features ... i would really call it the best touchscreen phone in it's price range.

Samsung Galaxy is also a pretty good phone with Android OS, Amoled screen, better 3g speeds, Processing capability etc but like already discussed does not have some basic features such as FM Radio or Bluetooth file transfer(BT is this model is only for headphone & data transfer etc is not supported) .. check into all these facts and you can buy one of these 2 depending on your requirements.
I know it had a2adp bluetooth , but can not transfer file , after Anderiod 2.1 later in april . all this glitches should be remove , except FM,
well i also said Nokia 5800 is good phone , but penny wise , samsung is value for money ,actually i m Anderiod supporter, that why i continuously told GO for Galaxy