Lan Or Usb, Which Is Faster?

• Thread starter Thread starter jgnt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 4,979

jgnt

I use my bsnl broadband 256 kbps using LAN connection, and found it was not up to the speed of 256, which it should be. One of my friend told me that if you use it through through USB port, the speed will be improved. Actually, they gave both option to use, but the guy that installed it chose LAN rather than USB.Now my doubt is whether is it true that if you connect the modem through USB port, will the speed be increased or both are same??

i dont think is any difference in speed through LAN or USB, though i recommend LAN

On the contrary...USB has presented itself with a problem of disconnections during heavy downloads. Keep that thing in mind before u make a switch.

Go with LAN or ethernet, USB modems tend to have probs maintaining connection during extended usage.Given a choice between the 2 always opt for ethernet.

considering the LAN(Ethernet) and USB things we have two points to note.1.The speed each type gives.2.Your computer's configuration.1.The Ethernet port allows either 10 or 100 Mbps transfer rate.Now most of the modems/routers are Full duplex compatible.(i.e 100 Mbps)2.There are two USB versions-ver 1.1 and ver 2.0 in pc.The speeds given by them are USB Ver 1.1-360 Kbps and USB Ver 2.0-12 Mbps.Most computers manufactured after the year 2002 should have USB 2.0 ports.The modem they supply has USB 2.0.What im saying is that whatever you use , USB or Ethernet the speed remains the same because the maximum speed of BSNL is 2 Mbps which can flow thro' USB or Ethernet freely without any delay.Suppose if we have an broadband connection that is 25 Mbps then it is wise to go to the Ethernet way as USB 2.0 supports upto 12 Mbps.But even though if you use USB 2.0 for a 25 Mbps connection you will experience real speed Problems.Ofcourse i dont know about the USB heavy download problem.Also , i use Ethernet and the speeds are always above the limit.260Kbps+.

my experience tells me that LAN is anyday better and more stable than USB...though what all u said is right...

Exactly, given that the speeds are identical with either option, stability becomes the next factor.You will not notice a speed diff with either option, but with broadband, i expect a computer to be up for days/weeks and the connection to be the same.