4G in India

• Thread starter Thread starter mobiler0
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 44,093
Sprint Says First 4G Handset Will Launch By Summer

launching a new generation requires compatibility which we currently dont have for 4G.

even in US where sprint has launched 4G wireless internet services last year ($60 per month for 3-6 mbps download speed) claims that the first 4G mobile phone is scheduled to be launched this summer. so there has been only partial 4G implementation so far in US.

IMO, it doesnt make any sense to skip 3G entirely & go to 4G. i think most of the people today are sitting with a 3G compatible handset whereas no one so far has a 4G handset. even if the first handset is launched this summer, how many people will even buy a 4G compatible handset by next year (consider the fact that there will be very choices which may be very expensive too - just like 3G handsets when they were newly launched in 2003-04). only implementing wireless broadband by 4G would not make complete use of the technology.

so "skipping 3G" or "jumping directly to 4G" sounds pretty stupid to me

sprint 4g is based on wimax technology not LTE which is likely to be used here in india.

sprint 4g is based on wimax technology not LTE which is likely to be used here in india.

3G itself is a distant dream. 4G sounds like Utopia!

We need good 3G first. Affordable unlimited plans.

Correction, we need 3G first, good, bad, ugly whatever. I am not counting MTNL's or BSNL's service.

let me tell what is BSNL/MTNL services (the only operators as of now in india )i m living in delhi NCR and this areas is covered by mtnl . phoned them and they say that tis area is well covered for 3g now on my 3G mobile when i search on network i get no no 3G signal .. so what use ni spending money to buy a new SIM or enabling even costly 3G on mobile .. and just look at their plans .(i m sure that if private operator would hae been there then they sure had put some attractive reasonable plans )

And why are you not counting their service ?

I guess the reason would be the answer to the question - What have they done so far with the 3G services they provide?

4G in India is a reality in 2014 only except wimax, LTE will need spectrum in 2.6Ghz band or in 700Mhz. and that also 20Mhz atleast. People ,still lot of kichadeee and lassi , enjoy , we enjoy it in the case of 3G ,

And why are you not counting their service ?

he means to say first launch 3G then talk about service quality

spectrum for 4G services, eight firms to be accommodated; discussion paper to be out by Aug and recommendations by Oct.

Trai speeds up 4G auction process
4G enables data speeds of 5-12 mbps on mobiles and is many times faster than 3G.

I thought 4G is about upto 100mbit/s speeds.

Nope 5g spectrum auctions won't happen atleast for 2 years. Some of the 5g bands are currently deployed in navy.

The thing to be seen is whether airtel and jio buy new spectrum to decongest the networks or just renew their existing one as spectrum in almost all bands are put to auction. Also the spectrum rates have been as high as ever before.

Huh... Then what was it that Jio plans to launch 5g by 2nd half 2021?
One member mentioned Jio will use 4g spectrum for 5g deployment.. so alteast Jio will have to purchase some spectrum given the already burdened 4g.
Spectrum rates... That is what I am talking about. Chances are they might go for renewal.

Imo Jio 'll renew n buy 850 mhz aka band 5 to max.
For 5G I am guessing they expect data demand to settle down once Jio fiber deployment is over.
After stake sale they have been aggressive on fiber. I guess some stakeholder discussed with them potential of fiber as cash cow than ever changing 4g or 5G.
So may use part of 2300mhz for 5G first. Atleast in rural areas where can't deploy fiber as last mile.

Last edited:
@Tejas01 my observation is since jio has committed H2 2021 launch then only thing which is possible is buying 700mhz pan India along with additional chunk of band 40 or 41 which isevrr is available in good chunk to launch 5g NR.
700MHZ is considered most suitable for launching 5g globally. Also 5g NR can be launched on band 40, 41 for capacity . 95% is chances of jio doing this since 5g specific auction are not happening anytime soon in 3300-3600 MHz band.

If Airtel doesn't make this move of jio then it will cry again after 1 yr one jio will have edge in launching 5g first and grabbing some more customers of Airtel... Airtel network is collapsing in many cities due to additional load coming from Vi and also rebalancing of few customers from jio. So Airtel will have to maintain quality alternative to jio else some of the users will have no place to go for looking quality