4G in India

rachit_1804

Regulars
Regulars
Aug 29, 2005
Sprint Says First 4G Handset Will Launch By Summer

launching a new generation requires compatibility which we currently dont have for 4G.

even in US where sprint has launched 4G wireless internet services last year ($60 per month for 3-6 mbps download speed) claims that the first 4G mobile phone is scheduled to be launched this summer. so there has been only partial 4G implementation so far in US.

IMO, it doesnt make any sense to skip 3G entirely & go to 4G. i think most of the people today are sitting with a 3G compatible handset whereas no one so far has a 4G handset. even if the first handset is launched this summer, how many people will even buy a 4G compatible handset by next year (consider the fact that there will be very choices which may be very expensive too - just like 3G handsets when they were newly launched in 2003-04). only implementing wireless broadband by 4G would not make complete use of the technology.

so "skipping 3G" or "jumping directly to 4G" sounds pretty stupid to me

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
We need good 3G first. Affordable unlimited plans.

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
Regulars
Jun 13, 2009
sprint 4g is based on wimax technology not LTE which is likely to be used here in india.

3G itself is a distant dream. 4G sounds like Utopia!

We need good 3G first. Affordable unlimited plans.

Correction, we need 3G first, good, bad, ugly whatever. I am not counting MTNL's or BSNL's service.

lightgreen49

Regular
Regulars
Jan 14, 2008
New Delhi
let me tell what is BSNL/MTNL services (the only operators as of now in india )i m living in delhi NCR and this areas is covered by mtnl . phoned them and they say that tis area is well covered for 3g now on my 3G mobile when i search on network i get no no 3G signal .. so what use ni spending money to buy a new SIM or enabling even costly 3G on mobile .. and just look at their plans .(i m sure that if private operator would hae been there then they sure had put some attractive reasonable plans )

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
Regulars
Jun 13, 2009
And why are you not counting their service ?

I guess the reason would be the answer to the question - What have they done so far with the 3G services they provide?

jdjain1

Regular
Regulars
Apr 30, 2009
4G in India is a reality in 2014 only except wimax, LTE will need spectrum in 2.6Ghz band or in 700Mhz. and that also 20Mhz atleast. People ,still lot of kichadeee and lassi , enjoy , we enjoy it in the case of 3G ,

mobiler0

[OP]
Regulars
Jan 28, 2010
And why are you not counting their service ?

he means to say first launch 3G then talk about service quality

audioslave

What?
Regulars
Jul 9, 2011
spectrum for 4G services, eight firms to be accommodated; discussion paper to be out by Aug and recommendations by Oct.

Trai speeds up 4G auction process
4G enables data speeds of 5-12 mbps on mobiles and is many times faster than 3G.

I thought 4G is about upto 100mbit/s speeds.