Should We Petition Bsnl/trai For Higher Speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 8,052
we dont have safe drinking water available to all the people in the country and u are talking abt broadband as an essential commodity. 😕

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Jun 22 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]54377[/snapback]
we dont have safe drinking water available to all the people in the country and u are talking abt broadband as an essential commodity. 😕
[/b]

We are already using these services as commodity: cable TV, their telephone, mobile phone, etc. then what's the shame in making broadband part of it?

The irony is that the internet is a better solution than quotas to help "backward" sections of society to better their educational / economic status. e.g. if people in villages had the internet and were adept at using it, my guess is that more of them would know about educational opportunities, and more of them would subsequently pursue avenues like a college education or joining a technical institute (providing of course that the concerned organizations made such information easily available on the net).

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Jun 22 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]54386[/snapback]
e.g. if people in villages had the internet and were adept at using it, my guess is that more of them would know about educational opportunities, and more of them would subsequently pursue avenues like a college education or joining a technical institute (providing of course that the concerned organizations made such information easily available on the net).
[/b]
..and also provinding they are equally adept at securing financing for such courses 🙂

and now back to the programme.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Jun 22 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]54386[/snapback]
The irony is that the internet is a better solution than quotas to help "backward" sections of society to better their educational / economic status. e.g. if people in villages had the internet and were adept at using it, my guess is that more of them would know about educational opportunities, and more of them would subsequently pursue avenues like a college education or joining a technical institute (providing of course that the concerned organizations made such information easily available on the net).
[/b]
The problem is not only in the villages but also for people who are not in the metropolitan area of the country. Today I met a property dealer who is making 30L/year but is not comfortable with English as much as he is with the local language. He/They find internet to be people who are 'hi-fi' i.e. the English speaking population. What is needed is some local content for local people. Resources is an issue but so is content.

If anyone is interested to discuss this particular issue then PM.

Whats wrong with cinema, TV, radio, video (in their local languages) ?Lots have mobiles now too.I doubt the net would offer them much more if they can't speak english.But maybe then they might be able to change that.

I had made a strong case for inclusion of Broadband as an essential utility. For all practical purposes, this is the way to go. The point here is, what are we going to do with faster speeds?I heard that Airtel is planning to up their speeds and offer a decent price on 512kbps. At present, they cannot up their speeds to more than 1 Mbps because of TRAI's caps! This is still a hearsay and I haven't been able to confirm from my sources inside Airtel. Hence, there is a strong case to petition TRAI; but to what extent? In my opinion, faster and ubiquitous broadband would perhaps spur the demand for services. Further, the telcos need money to shore up their ARPU's. Broadband, in it's present form, is a loss making venture. As I read this, it wouldn't take 3-4years for MbPs speeds. (I wonder, on what grounds it has been mentioned). Last mile unbundling would be sold to the BSNL employees as a threat to their livelihood. If your connection conks out in the middle of a heavy gaming session, you would still have to rely on BSNL lineman doing the job, even though you have a private ISP. Hence, it doesnot bode well for the customers. Even if I dont like, I would have to wait for Reliance to come in the picture. They are the only ISP to have publicly annouced plans for a nationwide roll out for IPTV. Given the kind of investments they have made to own content, clearly points to their long term commitment. Only then, we'd know about the true extent. The date keeps on getting postponed and it's slated for "early next year". Whatever that means. However, do we wait till that happens? I think, we could petition on these grounds that Broadband per se has no meaning if the speeds are stuck in kbps modes. It has to be scaled up because 256k slows everything down. Or rather, it takes more time to do the same thing hurting the productivity. Content or no content; those who want to would anyway do it. Almost 80% of the fibre laid out in lying unused. BSNL is getting customers because at present there is no other frigging soul offering "decent" connectivity. Face it guys. Despite the lousy lousy services, BSNL has ensured that the speeds are what you are paying for. This is a BIG achievement in my opinion. It may puke up at times, but by and large, I haven't really faced much hassle on that account.

Why we need higher speed is very simple.The whole concept of internet is shifting to webservice with web 2.0 and all, people are talking about browser being the new OS, the redundancy of having to buy content on media disk as everything can streamed in minutes. This is already a reality in a lot of countries. Its not that the infrastructure is not there for providing high speed access but just the general mentality and attitude of restricting good things to common man. The question is not whether we should have high speed but how soon should we do it.

QUOTE(Abhishek @ Jun 23 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]54407[/snapback]
I heard that Airtel is planning to up their speeds and offer a decent price on 512kbps. At present, they cannot up their speeds to more than 1 Mbps because of TRAI's caps! This is still a hearsay and I haven't been able to confirm from my sources inside Airtel.
[/b]
Caps !! what Caps ?

All TRAI says that you can't offer anything lower than 256 (or close to it) and call it broadband.

I hardly think TRAI are stopping vendors from offering more than that.

i badly need atleast 4mbps downloading and 1mbps uploading without any restrictions. 🙂

I can say that too but differently.

i just want 800 Pbps download and 100 Pbps upload.

PB=8 Pb
Pb=Peta bit
Peta Byte=1024 TB=1024^2 GB.

:blink: