Sharing Broadband Connection between 2 houses in same compound

• Thread starter Thread starter mohanit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,923

mohanit

ISP
Airtel
Hi, I need to use the same internet connection in 2 of my houses in the same address. There is a 10 meter gap between the 2 houses and they are in the same compound. If I use a single modem & wireless router there will a problem when someone needs to browse at midnight then they will have to walk up/midnight call to the house where the modem is present then switch on & after usage switch off. So I'm planning to use the regular ADSL2 modem from ISP in 1 house & buy a ADSL2+ modem wireless router in the other house so that they can switched on & off independently but still use the same Broadband Connection. Questions1) Is this possible?2) Which ISP is better for this scenario? Airtel, BSNL, Reliance?3) Which ADSL2+ modem wireless router do you suggest? ThanksMohan

I'm having 3 computers (2 Desktops & 1 Laptop). Currently I've taken 2 Internet connections from Airtel & Tata Indicom. I want to go this route to reduce the bill and also add Wireless Internet to our compound. ThanksMohan

@mohanit
UPDATE: Ignore entries about BSNL please. retain Airtel
BUY additional Adsl Splitter / ADSL modem ( market price
Rs 1100 to Rs 1600 approx )
1. YES.
2. Ask Airtel to give Extension for the telephone.
in the other building ( If owner is same )
3. Airtel WIFI model Beetel 110TC1 or Beetel 450TCI ( WIFI)
may be supplied. ( Non Refundable deposit of Rs 500
or Rs 1000/=. Unit will be replaced free of cost in case
of any problem, and no monthly rental.
http://airtel.in/wps/wcm/connect/airtel.in/Airtel.In/Home/ForYou/Broadband+Internet/Tariffs/

4. BSNL . new offers for L/L and BB see Home 750 U/L
ADSLmodem purchase cost Rs 1000/= + 10.3 taxes
Rental Rs 40 P.M /Rs 80 Security deposit refundable Rs 500/ Rs 1000/= (WIFI)

SEE
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

Set UP: House No 1 Airtel/ or Bsnl ADSLsplitter --> wifi modem/router. Desktop/ laptop
........... House No 2 .telephone line extension: ADSL splitter/adsl modem desktop.
Phones also used on same number. H24.

Single ISP either House No 1 or House No 2 active . Not both.
Two ISPS; No links. independent.

Thanks alot essbebe. I can feel its only a matter of time before I start saving money with only 1 internet connection. I'm happy with my Airtel connection so i'm gonna stick to just Airtel. I'm currently using Beetel 220BX Adsl2+ Modem in 1 house. I shall ask Airtel to give an extension to the other house & then cancel my TataIndicom Internet there. Some more questions1) What are Airtel WIFI model Beetel 110TC1 & Beetel 450TCI ( WIFI)? Are they Wireless routers? What is the difference between these two & which is better based on features, range (will i be able to use wifi in both houses?). There are 3 walls & 10 meter gap seperating the future wifi device in 1 house & the other house. 2) Do I need to buy ADSL2+ modem seperately? Will Airtel sell this or do I buy it outside? If I buy it outside are there any specifications that it needs to adhere to? Do you have any suggestions? 3) Also since Airtel has Bandwidth based plans I would need a desktop or router based program to monitor the usage so that way I can maintain the usage within the prescribed limit. ThanksMohan